Crap Taps. The time is now to strike back.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
For years the tap manufacturers have known that there taps break if you do not drain your van and leave the tap open. And we buy them.

Would you buy a car if it had a sticker on it saying do not use in the cold weather or the steering would lock up.

Yet we are asked to put up with CRAP TAPS.

A distributers rep told me of the hundreds of taps that are supplied at this time of year when people first use the van.

The caravan manufacturers are to blame. The tap makers would not supply CRAP TAPS if the caravan and boat makers would not fit them.

So Please.

lets record how many CRAP TAPS that we know about. post the info on this thread and we can follow it from there.

The Forham is great with many skills. How about seeing if we can develop a voice.

Also Please be advised that Norfolk Mike has visited the great deedpole in the ether and I am now a propper Norfolk Mike.

ttfn

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
I think you're asking a bit too much for taps which can cope with such conditions. Designs could probably be developed which would take frozen water without damage but I fear that they would be rather more sophisticated and consequently considerably more expensive. Expansion of freezing water can create enormous stresses in the material.

After all, you wouldn't complain to your car dealer if you left your car out in the cold without anti-freeze in the cooling system only to find that the engine block or radiator has sprung a leak once it has started to thaw.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The vulnerable parts of cars are protected by anti-freeze which can protect down to minus 40 degrees C, at the correct concentration.

As yet, there's no cost-effective anti-freeze that can be added to drinking water supplies so caravan taps will always be vulnerable.

Ceramic mixer taps seem to be the most affected as individual hot/cold taps cope ok, as do the old-fashioned mixers with 2 taps and a common outlet.

As well as draining the water system when the caravan's not in use, particularly if freezing temperatures are forecast, mixer taps need to be left open in a mid position.

Caravans in general are badly designed and poorly built but we (collectively) keep buying them so why should manufacturers change their attitude. I can't wait to see the quality of Asian-built caravans, they'll spot the opportunity soon.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
There are bits of thermo plastic that are used for electronic interconnect systems in military and civil aircraft, as well as space, at multiple sub zero temperatures flying around and bits that are designed to go to the bottom of the sea and many places in between.

The economy of these products often relate to volume. If you make one its expencive if you make 10 million its not. econamy of scale.

What you are saying is that a little tiny bit of (say) Nylon 66 for example would totaly ruin the economics of a 14 grand +++ caravan. I need to be convinced.

ttfn

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Mike - caravans are built using the design, technology and production methods of the 1930's. The ONLY thing that caravan manufacturers will respond to is customer demand. While they can sell all the inferior caravans they can make, they don't see any need to change.

I understand your point, all we have to do is bring caravan designers into the second half of the 20th century!

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
You're absolutely right, Roger. I see that you're even making some concession to the caravan manufacturers in that you aren't demanding that they bring their designs up to 21st century standards but only up to the second half of the 20th. :)

In fairness, though, we can only expect improvement if there is more consolidation within the caravan industry so that volume savings can be achieved and adequate engineering resources are available to design and develop what we, the customers, are asking for.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Second half of the 20th century would be a significant improvement, we'd be naive to expect the caravan industry to get completely up-to-date in one step.

I don't regard consolidation and volume production as necessary for quality - real demand for improvement from customers is the real incentive for manufacturers to improve which is sadly lacking as we, collectively, keep buying the inferior caravans in production.

My own philosophy is to only replace any product when either a) it's worn out or b) a significantly improved replacement is available. While the majority of caravanners chase the latest (ie marginally improved) version I don't see any incentive for manufacturers to fundamentally change.

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
Sticking to the point and taking up Lutz's point about the forces applied by freezing water. You are right. The manufacturers know and have known it for years, they dont want taps that lasts. Design is not about an ability to withstand the force it could be ( for example) pliability the ability to move with it. Why is the tap left in the open position? To act as an expantion chamber. So design one in. Its not rocket science. If the caravan manufacturers ( as a collective) demand better taps they would get them.

ttfn

May 21, 2008
Visit site
In short guy's it's called planned design failure. If a tap was made to be indestructable, only approx 100'000 per annum would be needed to cover newly built caravans.

Instead they rely on the general public to forget to drain the water system and old jack frost to break a few.

consequently up goes sales/profit and dow the tip goes your crap tap. Mine goes minus the micro switches and knobs just incase those fail on the identical twin now sitting at the sink.

Rocket science. Not. Just unscrew the bung on the water heater on the outside of the van at the end of September and open all the taps.

One last tip. Don't loose the bung !!

Chin up lads and "chill have a bud"

Steve Ll

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
The best way to drain it is to drain the van on the last outing of the year, open the taps and drive home with the van like that. You shake any residue out.

But there are strange people who use the thing all year round (and not just in Spain) Caravans have central heating good insulation ect. Why when do the manufacturers then proceed to fit taps which make the van frightened of the cold.

The advert should read, super van all mod cons, CRAP TAPS, you cannot use it when its likly to get cold.

ttfn

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I applaud the sentiment but fear that the reality is that the manufacturers like things the way they are. Having come from a marketing background I once attended a seminar/workshop by an American "guru" who told various stories of how sales were increased.

The one I liked best was the guy that came up with the idea to colour his firms kitchen utensils green and browns.

Why so that more people chucked then out with the peelings and then bought another.

At this same seminar we went into "workshops" and had to come up with a brand new idea for an existing product.

We came up with the concept of a "My Little Pony Abattoir" and came up with a business plan for it that would really work. We thought the French would love it!

We got the loudest applause! But the really funny thing was that the American guy was truly shocked! - saying "You Brits are really weird".

Jun 29, 2004
Visit site
S>d the manufacturers. If you wish to see apithy at work and want to understand why we have to put up with CRAP TAPS read most of the obove comments.

ttfn

Feb 12, 2006
Visit site
Having read with some interest the learned colleagues' comments on the topic of taps; as we are about to replace ours could anyone recommend which we should go for please.

Thanks

Nick

Jan 2, 2006
Visit site
It must be me but in 30 years caravanning I have never had a problem with taps of any make,is it too much to drain down and leave the taps open.The alternative is as Norfolk Mike suggests better and stronger taps,but then the pipes or joints would give way under the pressure,so better pipes and the weight that goes with them,unless your house is different I have good quality taps and plumbing but as sure as God made little apples they will give way if I leave them to the rigours of a frost!

TRENDING THREADS