Creasing in Caravan Body

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

we have two nasty creases in our 2007 caravan - one from nearside front window and one from the door...the manufacturers tell us that it as it is probably due to either ' kerbing' the caravan or pot-holing it - it is not covered by warranty! - The dealer says it will cost thousands of pounds to repair!!! - has anyone had any similar experience? - It is the first time I have seen it and we have had caravans for 40 years!! - Have the manufacturers changed the materials they use ? - We can't recall driving other than in normal conditions?...and surely they ought to be more robust?

Mar 11, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jackie

Had the same on a previous 'van, a Compass. The effect is commonly known as "shockwaves" caused when the body flexes.

The creases can be filled and repainted by a good repairer unless the dammage is not on a flat panel, in this case complete new sides need to be fitted. They are basically stuck over the original bodywork after all windows and othewr fittings have been removed.

Had it repaired by insurance after an estimate of

Dec 13, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jackie

I had a problem with a crease in the side of my van (2009 Eccles),I had no end of trouble with getting someone to even be interested in repairing it, in the end I went to the Derby franchise of caravan medic, he is based at Swadlicote it cost 250 pounds but was worth every penny couldn't see the repair at all from any angle

Hope this helps

ALB

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Jackie,

This is a reply to a earlier thread regarding my Hymer Nova caravan.

The most alarming problem was, that after the van was around 15 months old 2 small creases appeared above the door aperture. When I took it to the dealer he said that he would speak to Hymer about it.The conclusion was that I had either gone over a pot hole or a speed ramp at a tremendous speed(as you do of course!!) and consequently the van had in theory broken it's back.

To cut a long story short the dealer and Hymer do not want to know about it. However the problem has not put us off the Hymer and we still rate it very highly as regards- General build quality and tow ability. I would not swop it for a UK van

I have spoke to a few other people regarding creasing of caravans and it appears that the creasing can get worse.

Also the repairs that have been done have not always been very satisfactory.

My own theory is, that it is a manufacturing fault and so the manufacturer's should admit liability, but in truth you have to be like a dog with a bone to get them to do any repairs under warranty.

Hope this helps

Nidge

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Hi All...

many thanks for your replies...I am really worried now! - If we have a caravan with a 'broken back' then we have done nothing in driving terms that should have caused that - We are going to have another dealer look at the problem and take it from there. But as you say, we will have to be like a dog with a bone, if thats what it takes.

Jackie

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Jackie,

If you honestly believe you have done nothing to cause the problem, then you may still have recourse under the sale of goods act, provided you purchased the caravan new. It does not apply to S/H caravans

In essence when you purchased the caravan you agreed a contract with the seller Your seller is the person or company you pay your money too - so if you used HP, then your finance house is your seller) that contract brings you statutory rights under the Sale Of Goods Act. The seller is obliged to supply goods fit for purpose, and free from defects. Contrary to popular belief your warranty under SoGA is not just for 12 months but under the right circumstances can be for up to 6 years.

Note this is your warranty, not your manufactures gurantee which is quite different.

If you can provide enough evidence to convince a judge that the fault was probably present when you purchased the caravan you may get a SoGA judgement in your favour.

It does not matter what the manufacture thinks, if the judgement goes your way, the seller is responsible.

It won't be easy, and I can't guarantee you success, but If you are inclined to pursue it through SoGA, it will wise to seek professional legal advice.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I wonder what the effect of speed humps could have on the bodywork of a caravan. I know we've had to go over some really atrocious ones recently, has anyone read any research on the effect of such bumps on caravans. I know there's been a lot on the effect on cars/tyres/suspension, etc.

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
Many thanks again all. John L - the caravan was not bought with finance, so we will pursue under SoGA if possible.with dealer....A light has switched on due to the really good replies that we have had - relating to potentially badly cut or assembled sides ....thus revealing what appear to be stress fractures now with ordinary road conditions etc: - ....when we bought the caravan new we could see almost immediately that the door did not fit properly....we could see the floor outside when the door was shut!!! - The mobile engineer came out, said it was a common problem and that the door simply needed adjusting on the hinges...with hindsight seems this might have been an indication that something else was going on there?

Jackie

Aug 23, 2009
Visit site
When Coachman eventually answered the question, at Lawns as because we upset the chap if we don't catch him in person he won't sort anything (but that's another story) we were told we had kerbed the van, when that wasn't the case then we had gone to fast over a speed hump, when that was challenged then we must of hit a pothole. Were told there was nothing wrong with the crease as there wasn't any weaking of supports as there was no support where the crease is. Perhaps my dear there should be!!! That's about as helpful as I got, yes we could have it filled and sprayed but quite frankly it can stay there!!

Sep 21, 2006
Visit site
When Coachman eventually answered the question, at Lawns as because we upset the chap if we don't catch him in person he won't sort anything (but that's another story) we were told we had kerbed the van, when that wasn't the case then we had gone to fast over a speed hump, when that was challenged then we must of hit a pothole. Were told there was nothing wrong with the crease as there wasn't any weaking of supports as there was no support where the crease is. Perhaps my dear there should be!!! That's about as helpful as I got, yes we could have it filled and sprayed but quite frankly it can stay there!!
Hi Martin..seems like you have had the same sort of problems? - Did you get the problems resolved? Interestingly I have been looking at structural stress tests carried out for Bailey by the University of Bath engineering department and the worst stress points are exactly where our caravan has creased...do you think Coachman changed their production practices/materials a few years ago? - Our caravan is just coming up to three years old?

Jackie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts