CRIS offer

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
It’s no different from other multi marking schemes such as blue water, and others. My Subaru has such a marking scheme administered by Subaru. CRIS are a reputable company so it’s really a personal choice. If buy forwarning thieves that the van and it’s parts may be more difficult to move on then it’s deterrent effect has worked. Do these things work? I don’t think there’s any evidence for or against. Although if vets do not routinely check dog microchips when a new dog is registered then I’m not sure I would expect a higher standard from the caravan industry.

Reactions: Jcloughie

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is just another thing designed to give an owner a sense of more security.

There is already a VIN chip in the van during build, this is "another" one.

It does nothing to stop a determined thief from stealing the van, neither does it inform anyone the van has ben stolen, and the next question is, "how many people in authority carry the readers?"

It is like a lot of security items if it gives you peace of mind .....................................

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Two excellent answers. I agree with everything.

If I remember. Cris pushed this to me when I first registered the van in 2015. If I remember, they wanted £100 plus. So at £30 perhaps it's a good deal for anyone who wants that peace of mind.

John

Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Can Damian please confirm when the inbuilt VIN chip started to be standard? If mine doesn't have one I think £30 might be a great buy - of course only really of use if the van has been stolen and then recovered!

Nov 17, 2005
Visit site
They were fitted from model year 2016.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Can Damian please confirm when the inbuilt VIN chip started to be standard? If mine doesn't have one I think £30 might be a great buy - of course only really of use if the van has been stolen and then recovered!
We have this on our caravan any deterant has to be a good thing, I believe that they were fitted to Caravans from 2016.

As the chip was not fitted to pre 2016 vans, perhaps this is why Cris targeted me with the offer.

I found this link informative. As the info provided on the Cris website leave a lot of unanswered questions.

John

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It’s no different from other multi marking schemes such as blue water,

Could not find blue water, but did find Smart Water, could be what you meant. I think that to make up a similar marking package would be about £140, and that only lasts for 5 years of registration.

Also, no chip is included.

I am assuming that registration is lifetime of the caravan with Cris, and guess it is transferred with ownership.

I understand it’s just a deterrent. But I will go for it at that price.

John

Reactions: Beehpee
Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
when I bought my current van it had a cris number etched on the windows the paperwork suggested it had the chip as well but when I contacted cris to change it they pushed for me to have it and when I said the van already had it they said no it never had it fitted.

BP
JOHN, I FELT WEIRD BEING THE SAME AGE AS OLD PEOPLE AS WELL

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Could not find blue water, but did find Smart Water, could be what you meant. I think that to make up a similar marking package would be about £140, and that only lasts for 5 years of registration.

Also, no chip is included.

I am assuming that registration is lifetime of the caravan with Cris, and guess it is transferred with ownership.

I understand it’s just a deterrent. But I will go for it at that price.

John
Apologies I’d just come off a site dealing with Bluewater security.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Just purchased. Problem free and helpful assistant. If anyone is going for it have your Cris number at the ready.

The system emailed a receipt for £39.99, they think it’s just a standard letter but asked me to check my account.

John

May 2, 2020
Visit site
I have fitted vin chip to our last two vans
Just purchased. Problem free and helpful assistant. If anyone is going for it have your Cris number at the ready.

The system emailed a receipt for £39.99, they think it’s just a standard letter but asked me to check my account.

John
I have fitted vin chip to our last two caravans just be careful with the window CRIS number stickers (one chance) then no good and also try and give a good description of where you have hidden the chip/chips when you phone CRIS registration when fitted

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
No idea, but they should know if it was fitted.

I agree and they will. But that won’t stop them trying to sell you another.

Seems that all vans registered from 2016 had one. (Not 100% on that). It’s location is supposed to be logged with Cris. Guess that if fitted by the manufacturer they will all be in the same place. Very handy info for thieves.

John

Mar 17, 2020
Visit site
This is just another thing designed to give an owner a sense of more security.

There is already a VIN chip in the van during build, this is "another" one.

It does nothing to stop a determined thief from stealing the van, neither does it inform anyone the van has ben stolen, and the next question is, "how many people in authority carry the readers?"

It is like a lot of security items if it gives you peace of mind .....................................

You have to wonder why someone doesn't just market a label to stick on a window or two!

I have, on my last two vans, fitted a red LED in the door. It is between the outer and inner plastic window sides and blinks. Very visible at night but anyone approaching the door during the day would see it too.

It looks similar to the blinking alarm warning seen on cars.

Blinks and nothing more. Works from 2 AA rechargeable batteries that last months. Simply a deterrent. Peace of mind for around £5 if I remember correctly.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If anyone is going to try to steal your caravan, the things that will act as a deterrent are those that will slow them down in the act, or those that will automatically alert the owner or a security force that the caravan is being or has been stolen, or possibly those that can be tracked.

The Cris and or manufacturers chips are not alarms, They need to be specifically interrogated at close quarters for them to respond, and basically all they do is to respond with an id number which then has to be checked against a register.

In practice they only aid identification, if the for some reason the authorities have any suspicions about it.

They don't really act as a major deterrent, just a means of helping to identify them.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
If anyone is going to try to steal your caravan, the things that will act as a deterrent are those that will slow them down in the act, or those that will automatically alert the owner or a security force that the caravan is being or has been stolen, or possibly those that can be tracked.

The Cris and or manufacturers chips are not alarms, They need to be specifically interrogated at close quarters for them to respond, and basically all they do is to respond with an id number which then has to be checked against a register.

In practice they only aid identification, if the for some reason the authorities have any suspicions about it.

They don't really act as a major deterrent, just a means of helping to identify them.

On the link I provided earlier it said 6 meters and from a passing car. (Not sure if I believe that though).

But essentially you are correct, it is an identifier, and possibly a deterrent if a potential thief did not want the hassle.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts