Cruise control

Dec 13, 2005
Visit site
I tow with a VW Touran - a great car for towing. It has cruise control which I find really useful - set it to 60 and relax!!However somebody has told me that it is illegal to use cruise control in France; apparently French cars don't have cruise control???

Is this true??

Al

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Alistair,

I to have hear that in some EU countries cruise control is not permitted, I am sure it was not France, but I have feeling it was Belgium.

I am sure one of our Euro towers will have the answer, failing that check the Government web sites of the relevant countries you intend to drive in.

Dec 28, 2005
Visit site
There are certain stretches of congested autoroute around Brussels and Antwerp where the use of cruise control is banned (I imagine it is to try and reduce the number of tail-end shunts).

Mar 29, 2007
Visit site
Was listening to Radio 2 yesterday afternoon, they were discussing silly or amusing warning notices that Manufacturers put onto their products. The one that had me chuckling for ages was that some American RV rental companies have had to put warning notices onto the Cruise control switches saying "CRUISE CONTROL NOT AUTOPILOT". Turns out that someone renting an RV engaged the cruise control thinking it was like an autopilot on an aircraft and got up from the drivers seat to go and use the loo while on the move...Hope it wasn't a TOG.

Jul 9, 2006
Visit site
I've got a 'Ran too. Always use the cruise when towing on the motorway, especially in France. It is banned, as someone said, around Brussels and Antwerp due to the congestion to reduce rear end shunts. If you've ever been there you'll understand. Give me the M25 any day! By the way, do you have the 1.9 or the 2.0L ?

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

My commute from the UK to Holland takes me past Antwerpen, and yes, there are signs telling drivers to turn off their cruise control before they encounter the Antwerpen ring road.

However, Belgian traffic law makes it clear that these signs are intended for HGV drivers - but it would be sensible for car drivers to follow the advice. Particularly north-bound where the motorway merges with the ring road on a blind bend and then immediately plunges into the Kennedy tunnel under the Scheldt river - great idea for the driver to be fully switched on.

Elsewhere in Benelux, yes there are similar signs near Rotterdam and Amsterdam - and they seem like good advice.

Robert

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts