Crunch, Crash or the RRRR word

May 21, 2008
Visit site
AS i'm currently full timing it and have stayed on one site all summer, I have had what could be called an over view of just how we are struggling to still use our caravans in this current economic climate.

While bank holidays have seen the site full to capacity, the current financial climate and the weather have taken their toll. The last two sunny weekends have been the busyest but even so only 70% of the pitches were taken up. Motor homes are a rarety, and even those with cars of heavey fuel consumption are staying away. People have admitted that they chose the site as it was within their monetry allowance for fuel rather than prefered destination. Or putting it plainly, they couldn't afford to spend more on fuel.

I think with all the doom and gloom in the media about the financial state of the USA and then our own financial institutional banking difficulties, everyone has avoided the RRRR word like the plague!

Unless a solution is found soon we could see another 1929 recession (woops, used the taboo word). I certainly can see between the lines in the news that, all the financial institutions and a vast number of businesses are teatering on the edge of the presapice. It realy say's it all when you hear of major companies going into liquidation after decades of business.

As for personal bankruption, the banks realy only have themselves to blame for that one. They will keep on offering people credit cards with obserd limits on them, and they realy must know that people will eventually fall foul of the repayments and find they can't cope. My daughter has been offered several cards despite being a student living on grants, and my wife who doesn't work has had simlar offers of cards with over £5'000 credit limit. But they have no disposable income to pay any monthly amounts. So why do the banks invite people to live beyond their means?

Steve L.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Steve in Leo,

The banks may invite you to borrow money, but it's the idiots that borrow more than the can afford to pay back that are the real cause of the problem. Remember the old saying about horses & water, surely the same applies to credit.

I have little sympathy for these people, when i took out my morgage, I borrowed 21/2 time my monthly income not 5 to 7 times whch appears to be the norm nowadays.

Steve W

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi Steve

Fully agree.Like you we are lucky enough that we can choose when to go away throughout the year. No offence to the mums and dads out there but we always avoid main sites during the school hols. I have noticed a similar pattern. In fact we have changed our own pattern. Where possible we will still choose where to go but stay much longer where the distances are greater just to make the fuel burn more cost effective.

We also make more use of CLs than we did previously.

As for the greedy fat cat bankers they only have themselves to blame. Encouraging cheap loans to people who are clearly bad risks goes against the whole ethos of intelligent banking.

Cheers

Alan

G

I feel we should put the fuel costs into perspective. I think we can all agree that we are unilkely to see fuel below

Jul 9, 2001
Visit site
Agreed Scotch Lad

Going away for us is cheaper than staying at home sometimes...

If you are at home, then you get bored and end up at shopping centres... That makes the

Mar 21, 2008
Visit site
Steve W,

If you only borrowed 2 1/2 times your monthly income you must have either:

a. A very well paid job,

or

b. A very tiny house!

Do you mean 2 1/2 times your ANNUAL income?

Sorry - couldn't resist!

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I stand corrected, but it was a very long time ago.

However I am pleased to say that that was the only time I ever borrowed anything, everything that I own has been paid for before it was delivered. All it takes is self disipline.

Steve W

Jan 8, 2006
Visit site
I stand corrected, but it was a very long time ago.

However I am pleased to say that that was the only time I ever borrowed anything, everything that I own has been paid for before it was delivered. All it takes is self disipline.

Steve W
Same here steve 2.1/2 times salary, wifes income not considerd.J.Lo

I totally agree with you, the credit crunch may be here but the problem is that people have borrowed more money against their properties when interest rates were very low and they have spent, spent, spent!! New cars, caravans etc etc, they are now facing the problem of paying it back and with increasing cost of living they are struggling to make ends meet. I have no sympthathy as hard as that sounds, I do sympathise with first time buyers struggling to purchase their first homes but not the people who have re-mortgaged up to the hilt to pay for a lifestyle that they simply cannot afford. We hve just returned from a weekend away the total cost was

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hi Civical,

I can assure you it wasn't easey all those years ago, we saved hard for five years to get 30% for a deposit, the only way we could get a morgage. I think the main difference, was that we bought a house with nothing in it, it took 20yrs to get fitted carpets through out the house, the better half did wonders with a secondhand cooker for years. People today want everything know and don't mind getting into debt, just different priorities I suppose.

Steve W

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Like some contributors above(old!) I am also in a position where the mortgage borrowing was only 2.5 income or less, but to be fare to younger people that is simply a non starter nowadays.

My son, 25, with degree, would struggle to get a mortgage on a second hand mobile home with 3 x income. For a 1 bed flat he would need 10 x income.

Times have moved on unfortunately.

The Govt have encouraged our young people to enter further education and generate debt of

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I totally agree with you, the credit crunch may be here but the problem is that people have borrowed more money against their properties when interest rates were very low and they have spent, spent, spent!! New cars, caravans etc etc, they are now facing the problem of paying it back and with increasing cost of living they are struggling to make ends meet. I have no sympthathy as hard as that sounds, I do sympathise with first time buyers struggling to purchase their first homes but not the people who have re-mortgaged up to the hilt to pay for a lifestyle that they simply cannot afford. We hve just returned from a weekend away the total cost was

G

Good post Thorpedo, there would be no cash in circulation if it wasn't for borrowing, its the way the banking system works, strange err.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts