Current Cost of EHU.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
[QUOTE="Buckman, post:

However if that had been the case of a £1 per kwh, we would have turned off the boiler during the day and used gas for the ALDE heating system. At about £0.70 a litre for gas, it probably would be the cheaper option.

That's the cost of gas if using a refillable cylinder, but the cost per litre for the gas in an exchange (I.e. Calor) cylinder is considerably more.
It's just a shame that number of places you can fill a refillable cylinder is in steady decline and probably will be non existent in a few years time.
[/QUOTE]

Maybe Dacia know something we do not know? https://www.dacia.co.uk/dacia-lpg.h...McFzNpxD8FZ_bQvqGocH66dhVQUv57k0DpNUb_TjsoN4w

Also see here for a map of LPG stations. https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/united-kingdom/#map

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
That's the cost of gas if using a refillable cylinder, but the cost per litre for the gas in an exchange (I.e. Calor) cylinder is considerably more.
It's just a shame that number of places you can fill a refillable cylinder is in steady decline and probably will be non existent in a few years time.

Maybe Dacia know something we do not know? https://www.dacia.co.uk/dacia-lpg.h...McFzNpxD8FZ_bQvqGocH66dhVQUv57k0DpNUb_TjsoN4w

Also see here for a map of LPG stations. https://www.mylpg.eu/stations/united-kingdom/#map
[/QUOTE]
Saab did a biofuel version of the 9-5 but it didn’t catch on and was discontinued quite early in its life cycle.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Saab did a biofuel version of the 9-5 but it didn’t catch on and was discontinued quite early in its life cycle.
[/QUOTE]
Vauxhall also had biofuel cars as I drove one and I seem to recall that maybe Mercedes also had one? They were bio fuel standard from the factory. No difference in power but unsure of equivalent "mpg" . I think the police also tried some back in the mid nineties?

May 7, 2012
Visit site
As we use he small Calor bottles I am seriously considering moving to Flogas to avoid the far heavier bottles although I fairly sure they would fit in the locker. If B&Q start to sell it it would help me reach a decision.
I have wondered about Mr Plodds idea of insulating the boiler further as it does give off a fair bit of heat. My thoughts ae that as tis in a locker with a seat cushion over it and wooden internal sides and floor and an insulated wall around it the gain would not be that great. It seems to make no difference to the caravan in cold or hot weather so I will probably leave it as it is.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
As we use he small Calor bottles I am seriously considering moving to Flogas to avoid the far heavier bottles although I fairly sure they would fit in the locker. If B&Q start to sell it it would help me reach a decision.
I have wondered about Mr Plodds idea of insulating the boiler further as it does give off a fair bit of heat. My thoughts ae that as tis in a locker with a seat cushion over it and wooden internal sides and floor and an insulated wall around it the gain would not be that great. It seems to make no difference to the caravan in cold or hot weather so I will probably leave it as it is.
My suggestion for modification, done by the dealer at Lunar's expense, was to open up part of the bed locker so that more cool air could flow around the Alde and then the warmed air escaped up the back of the settee using the ventilation boards.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My suggestion for modification, done by the dealer at Lunar's expense, was to open up part of the bed locker so that more cool air could flow around the Alde and then the warmed air escaped up the back of the settee using the ventilation boards.

I am fairly sure it was you that advised us of this modification for better circulation of heat?

Modification for heating..jpg

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Vauxhall also had biofuel cars as I drove one and I seem to recall that maybe Mercedes also had one? They were bio fuel standard from the factory. No difference in power but unsure of equivalent "mpg" . I think the police also tried some back in the mid nineties?
My fifth Saab 9-3 2.2 TID (GM Diesel shared with Vauxhall Opel) which claimed it could take bio diesel. I tried one tankful of about 80% Bio 20% comercial diesel, I was not impressed. it was definitely down on power, more sluggish to respond and I found it ran a little quieter, a different tail pipe smell.

I do miss Saab's, but that's another story.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
My fifth Saab 9-3 2.2 TID (GM Diesel shared with Vauxhall Opel) which claimed it could take bio diesel. I tried one tankful of about 80% Bio 20% comercial diesel, I was not impressed. it was definitely down on power, more sluggish to respond and I found it ran a little quieter, a different tail pipe smell.

[/QUOTE]
Apologies I should have clarified biofuels as the Vauxhall vehicles I am referring to used LPG and definitely were not sluggish.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

[/QUOTE]
Likewise Prof.

Apr 13, 2021
Visit site
Nothing really wrong with what Malx has posted, except one detail point which doesn't detract from the essence of his post.

Describing LPG by its volume is problematical becasue the quantity or mass of the material changes with temperature and pressure, and under the right conditions the it will undergo a phase change between liquid and vapure of vise versa, and that means the mass of the material contained within a volumetric space will change.

That is the reason that LPG cylinders are always sold by weight rather than volume, as the mass is the only consistent measure that can be used.

LPG can only be sold by volume if it is delivered in its Liquified form and delivered between a specified range of temperatures.
I was referring to LPG, not propane in purchased cylinders. Refillable LPG as used in cars is sold by the litre, I had ro convert into kg as the figures for energy per kg are widely available. The figures are approximate and give a general comparison of heating a caravan with different fuels. I did not use bottled gas as sold per kg as I now use refillable cylinders.

Reactions: Buckman
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I was referring to LPG, not propane in purchased cylinders. Refillable LPG as used in cars is sold by the litre, I had ro convert into kg as the figures for energy per kg are widely available. The figures are approximate and give a general comparison of heating a caravan with different fuels. I did not use bottled gas as sold per kg as I now use refillable cylinders.
Seems I was using the incorrect word when I said biofuel as should have said dual fuel which is LPG and petrol. Biofuel is a different product and associated with diesel. Apologies to all for using the incorrect term.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts