CYCLES

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Bearing in mind that i cannot put a cycle rack on my car due to a rear areofoil,

Which type of cycle would you go for a normal one with 26 inch wheels,or a fold up one and what are the disadvantages,Thanks,

Feb 2, 2007
Visit site
Eddie,

I assume you have towbar. What's wrong with the carrier that fits on a plate behind the tow-ball, and should clear the spoiler? And, you can tow while carrying. Towsure sells them for about

Aug 4, 2005
Visit site
Re the carriers which fit onto the towbar, I think you need to take the weight of carrier plus bikes into account when calculating noseweight. In some cases that might push you over vehicle limits.

Robert

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
Full size 26" wheeled bikes give a better ride, they roll better and do not have trouble with rough surfaces and pot holes like smaller wheels.

Our bikes go in the caravan in cover bags. No hassle with racks and they are out of sight.

There are plenty of inexpensive bikes around but many are very heavy.

Mar 19, 2007
Visit site
We carry ours on the roof of the car, they are out of the way for opening boot, hitching up etc. can be secured in place and give full access to van for overnight stops without having to get them out with all the potential damage to the interior of the van.

Oct 3, 2005
Visit site
Hi thanks for you imput about bikes,Firstly like i said due to my areofoil i cannot put a rack on the car,Secondly due to back problems and lifting a roof cycle rack is out,Thirdly i have a tow bar one which i dont like to use now as with the caravan on the back and up to two bikes its extra nose weight and i think that they are not legal now while towing,(and if you have one you can see why)so i may go for the other option of keeping it in the van, Why i asked about a fold up one was that my works one needs replacing and i could use that in the van also so i thought i would kill two birds with one stone as it were,i do have a very expensive cycle but dont like to take away with me,but thanks anyway,

Jan 19, 2007
Visit site
Hi Eddie

Although I ride a custom built touring bike and 'stoke' a custom built tandem, I have recently purchaced an Airnimal Chameleon.

My Airnimal is a folding cycle that folds into a suitcase for airtravel but rides better than the average real road bike. People do the 'Across America', 'Paris Brest Paris' and 'Edinburgh London' challenge rides on Airnimals. They are in a different league to the tat advertised as folding bikes in some magazines. BUT they can be folded into the 'van/boot for travel. If you can't fit a roofrack, have a look at airnimal.com. Happy cycling.

Denise

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts