Daihatsu fourtrack

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Hello ,i,d be interested to know whether anyone has used a fourtrack to tow their caravans with.just bought a late one with a 2.8 turbo diesel.our van only wieghs 1200kg loaded.i realise its not modern,any views good or bad would be great.cheers seth.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Seth, We had one of those model for 12 years as long it got a good service history, you sould be ok, you can tow a caravan up to 1500 kw and still be on the 85% guilde line, we love our, we was looking for another one but they are hard to find [a good one]The time we been on the motor way people look at us and think that little thing pull the van, and when a caravan over take us going up a hill we just drop down one gear and go and the look on their face when we pass them on the hill, a cracking little motor, Have Fun Trevor

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I have a Fourtrack and a Bailey Ranger 500/5. Excellent tow vehicle - don't know the van is behind it. The max recommended towing limit for the vehicle is 3.5 tonnes. There is also very little difference in fuel consumption when towing and solo. Two weeks in Dorset and combined fuel consumption of approx. 34mpg. When I bought mine I was advised not to go over 2500rpm in each gear as the fuel consumption is far greater. I was also advised that regular servicing is necessary at 5000 miles intervals as some of the 4 wheel drive components are expencive if neglected. I have looked at changing it but it is going so well that I think "if it aint broke don't fix it". R reg and just over 100000 miles on clock - what would I get for it if I sold it either private or part ex? New MOT and tax. As previously stated only two doors and with active grandchildren I would appreciate four doors. Apparantly made by a subsiduary of Toyota.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
thanks to everyone who responded.ive treated my lucky family to a 1993 vintage 2.8tdx.ive heard stories of how reliable they are supposed to be just hope this is true,especially with our luck.im a bit mifed as to the 3.5t tow wieght,as ive also read this in the handbook.does this mean combined weight or just the weight of the trailer. thanks seth.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Weight of trailer and contents - a friend had one and towed a horse box with two fully grown bulls inside across a muddy field in 2 wheel drive without any problems. Just make sure, especially if you use the 4 wheel drive a lot over rough terraine, to have it regularly serviced.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
thanks very much Colin.would it still be legal to use it with a 3.5t trailer behind as its more than 100%match isin it?No they dont seem to hold their value well.but i suppose that can work in either favour.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have a local highway contractor who uses one to tow a twin axle trailer carrying a Bobcat mini excavator and compressor with all stop/go road lighting requirements on the highway with no questions from the police.

You might well get stopped by the Ministry Of Transport to check your diesel is not pink as these vehicles are very common with the farming fraternity who have pink diesel for agricultural use.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
Don't know the legalities of the towing question I am sorry as I have never been in a situation to have to consider it - interesting point though.
not to worrie Colin,were only towing 1200kg im sure it will cope with that.thanks for the information. seth

Jul 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi Colin,

The 'Ministry of Transport' won't pull you over to check your diesel, Her Majesty's Customs and Excise do that. VOSA will pull you over to check that the vehicle is roadworthy, taxed not overloaded and if it is being used commercially is fitted with a tachograph when towing. Any way you buy your diesel at Tesco and they don't sell the red stuff.

Joking aside the Fourtrack had an enviable reputation as a tow car, the ride was a little hard (improved on the independent model) and reliability was excellent. There use as a family 4x4 was only let down by having two doors which was a bit of a let down in a vehicle fitted with seven seats (LWB only).

Farmers love them as they are rated to tow a trailer up to 3.5 tonnes.

Regards

Steve

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Seth - just returned from France with caravan, Daihatsu Fourtrack and 5 persons on board. Covered over 800 miles and without a bit of trouble either towning or solo. Keep threatening to upgrade to an X Trail but the car is going so well I am loath to spend the money. Hope your vehicle is performing as well as mine.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
up till now colin its been great,will see next month what it tows like,also its surprised me with the fuel consumption,its no were near as bad as i thought it might be.must be getting near 40mpg on a motorway run,although we are only doing 60mph.might now be able to upgrade to a twin axle with out worring.cheers for that seth.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Seth make sure that you have regular servicing of the car as parts are expensive. As I do little off road work I generally have mine serviced at 5000 mile intervals - generally for full service I pay approx.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
hello colin,ive read this in the handbook.but they recommend 3000 miles on oil changes.that doesnt seem very long to me.also ive heard a couple of bad things mentioned on the gearboxs that affect reliability.dont no how true this is though.thanks for all the info.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Seth, I reply to your post late july about your fourtrax, Yes it true that you do change the oil every 3000 mile, out of all them years we had our 4 track, the only trouble we had was just one front wheel 4x4 drive unit pack up, that was

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
It all depends on what use the vehicle is subjected to - as I do very little serious off roading I was advised that 5000 miles intervals was OK for servicing. On saying that I also do not drive like a bat out of hell but drive with respect for the vehicle and as road conditions permit. My car is in for service today and it is going to cost me approx.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts