Damn bonfires

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Spent all day on Sunday up a ladder cleaning off van from winter. At end of day I was worn out and very wet but had a lovely clean caravan. Then my idiot neighbour decides that he can't be bothered taking his rubish to the tip and starts a bonfire.

An hour later I need not have bothered as top of van now has little black carbon spots which I am sure will form nice black streaks when it next rains.

Do I (a) take it on the chin and put it down as part of lifes rich tapestry or (b) rip his bloody head off.

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi Mike,

Have a look at the following website from DirectGov which gives advice as to what to do when either a) you are planning on having a garden bonfire or b) a neighbour has a bonfire.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/WhereYouLive/Streetcleaninglitterandillegaldumping/DG_4018684
The Gist of the link is:

If you are having a bonfire, the smoke, soot, and smell created by the fire can annoy your neighbours. Smoke can prevent your neighbours from enjoying their gardens, opening windows or hanging washing out. Smoke also reduces visibility in the neighbourhood and on roads.

If your neighbours are having a bonfire and you are bothered by smoke, approach them and explain the problem. You might feel awkward, but they may not be aware of the distress they are causing. Hopefully, they will understand and be more considerate in the future. If talking to your neighbours fails, contact your local council's environmental health department. However, if your neighbours only occasionally light bonfires, this is unlikely to be considered a nuisance in law. The Environmental Protection UK leaflet 'Garden Bonfires' explains the situation in more detail.

G

Damn the consequences and go for Plan B. At least make you feel better.

There are some really selfish people around these days who can neither think nor see what is happening around them. I blame it on Blair and Brown who created the Nanny State.

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
A mate of mine had the same thing happen to him, he waited for is neighbour to clean is car then paid a couple of kids(5 bob shows how lonago it was) to muck it up afterwards, not condoning it but l had to laugh.

NigelH

Mar 8, 2007
Visit site
Why is everybody blaming the neighbour?...it wasn't his fault the wind changed direction. Next time wash the van on a saturday and hope it will be dry by the time the next bonfire is lit,

best regards, Martin

Apr 1, 2007
Visit site
Hi Mike

We have had the same problem with a neighbour, who always seems to light a bonfire just when I have hung the washing out or we want to sit in the garden. The prevailing wind direction means that the smoke from the fire always comes into our garden.

My advice would be to go and have a chat with your neighbour, when you're feeling calm. The solution we came up with was for our neighbour to check with us before he lights his fire or, if we are out, to check we have not got any washing out on the line first. So far, so good, and we are still on friendly terms with each other. Retaliating by doing something you know will annoy him will only add fuel to the fire!

Good luck.

Catherine

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I did go and see him, I told him how unhappy I was and he appologised a couple of times. He said it had not occured to him that smoke might upset someone or that it may deposit sooty bits on my car and caravan. I think now that I have pointed it out there will be a reduction in the number of his bonfires. If not there is always plan B.

Mike Mc

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts