Damp again!!!!!

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Very sorry to hear the saga with your Bucaneer continues Michael.
Basically this caravan seems riddled with damp from new which suggests there was something wrong with the sealant or method of application.
Now here is a golden opportunity for Elddis to stand up and replace the Bucaneer with a brand new one to your liking. Years ago when the damp started appearing at each service the very least Elddis and the dealer should have done was a total factory strip down and new sealant applied. Hind sight is a wonderful thing :(
The Prof has set out in great detail the options open to you.
Let's hope you get a good resolution quickly. Good luck :)

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Really sorry to hear of your further damp ingress. I must admit that every caravan we have owned has had damp, but not to the extent that yours has, but I always get that stomach churning moment when I collect the caravan from servicing and await the service mangers report. My worst was a brand new Series 5 Bordeaux when in year 2 it had the whole front end replaced, then the same again in year 3 for the back end. These were manufacture faults caused by fastener induced stress and didn't lead to damp ingress as they were found early. But that didn't calm my stomach down. After that though she went on to year 9 without any further issues.

My present van (Trigano) had been standing for three years when I bought it, and the pre -sale damp check showed 0% so I was quite relieved. But it has precious few windows, single piece grp sides, front, roof and rear, and no roof penetrations. But I will still dread the spring damp check results.

Good luck with your decisions.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry to hear of the further troubles with this caravan. It does seem to be one of those models which will simply not come right and I have to agree your best bet is to get rid. I would still be looking for compensation for your problems and would certainly use at least the threat of these to try and get something.

Sep 5, 2016
Visit site
I personally think it is about time with the amount of complaints about the caravan industry and shoddy workmanship etc that it is about time the industry was monitored and a Ombudsman appointed preferably someone not working within the caravan industry anymore and like Michael bought a crap caravan,

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
pitpony said:
I personally think it is about time with the amount of complaints about the caravan industry and shoddy workmanship etc that it is about time the industry was monitored and a Ombudsman appointed preferably someone not working within the caravan industry anymore and like Michael bought a crap caravan,

Having seen the number of unnecessary faults and generally bad build quality over all the UK made vans over a long period of time as a mobile engineer I have to agree with you.

Sadly however, whilst the great British Public continue to buy, and seem to accept, faulty caravans the makers have no incentive to change things and still pay on Piece Rate, so the faster they build vans, the more the employees earn.

Also, seeing the QC checks at the factories, it is laughable as it is self QC by the operative doing the particular job, not an independent inspector.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Having just had my Coachman back to the Manufacturer, for a new rear Panel.On return to me Coachman stated that they had done a full water Ingression check, I did ask if I would get a new 5 YEAR water ingression warranty, OH No. So will get on the roof of mine at the end of The Warranty and seal all the joints with clear Gorrilla tape. .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts