Damp repair

Aug 22, 2023
Visit site
Hi, new to the forum. Looking for a bit of advice.

My parents own a Celebration 585 which I think is a 2012 model. They found damp spots at the rear of the van, on the wall by the bunk beds and the bathroom wall by the window.

We've had the source of the issues fixed in the roof.

But we now have spongy areas in the two walls. I was quoted (worst case scenario) £3k to put it right.

They previously spent £2. 5k having the front of the caravan replaced again due to damp issues.

Safe to say they didn't buy wisely.

My question is, should they invest the money, or alternatively cut their losses and sell? Does anyone have any idea what kind of money they could get for it (ballpark). Everything else is completely fine and in great condition.

Jan 20, 2023
Visit site
It's one of those questions no-one can really answer! A friend had similar damp issues in an Elddis and repaired it himself, the damage behind the areas of soft wall board was unreal, in the end he had to replace most of the wall board in the front half of the caravan. This is why your parents have been quoted such a high figure as the true extent of the works isn't known until the damage starts to get removed.

As the source of the leak has been repaired, they could always just put up with the soft/affected areas, my own parents previous caravan was an ABI which had the same at the front (leak repaired but damaged wall board left alone) and it served them well for many years.

Regarding value, no idea, but a good way to determine it is to get a part-ex valuation from a few dealers, but give them an honest description (with photos) to determine a true value.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Only way to work it out is to get some quotes for trade in or sale. Try “ we buy any caravan” for a ball park figure, as well as local dealers. Then do the maths. It might well also depend on how long they wish to continue Caravanning. I agree with Gary, if the source of the damp has been solved and the caravan has dried out, they may be able to live with the damage to the fabric. They need to check it is safe of course. My daughter’s in laws bought a van off a mate for a few hundred quid. The front wall wasn’t damp, it was soaking. They sealed up the leak, dried it out carefully but didn’t do major repairs and used it for 3 or 4 years before trading it in for more than they paid for it.
Mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Very difficult to answer he question. The problem is that without stripping out the wallboard it is impossible to be sure as to the extent of any hidden damage. It also means the quoted figures are guesses and more problems could be found or they might be charging for work not needed when the y see the extent of the problem. Personally I would get rid, but it might be perfectly useable.
What is it worth with that problem is also difficult. Any one buying has to make a guess at the extent of the damage and the cost to them off putting it right and opinions will vary. I would expect most offers will be on a near worst case scenario.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts