Jul 22, 2008
Visit site
i recently found black thin mould on the divideing partition wall of my sterling europa 525.as this is a internal panel divideing the end bathroom from the rest of the van this has left me puzzled.the rest of the van appears to be totally dry and i cannot find any moist patches on external walls or the floor.am i being over optimistic in putting this down to condensation?the mould was the same as the white powder found on van walls during winter which i have been told is commonplace,only black in colour.my storage site is in a valley and sees little sun in winter and can be a very cold spot.the van is a 04 model and has been regularly serviced. opinions on this subject would be most welcome.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dominic, it sounds very much like condensation.

The bathroom will become very cold in comparison to the rest of the van if the door is left shut due to the roof vent and its built in ventilation.

Wipe the residue off the affected area with a bleach solution and dry.

Leave the bathroom door open to allow full air circulation.

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
You are suffering from high levels of moisture within the caravan.

The term condensation has been used, but when wintering a caravan one can only assume that there is no heat source within the van to create such a condition.

You need to check possible causes of water penetration into the interior of caravan.

Investigate the following:

I. Check condition of Window rubbers & Mastic seals

II. Check Door seals & water release hole at base of door frame

III. Check Lounge skylight is closed correctly forming a weather proof seal

IV. Check that Cooker electric roof vent is closed correctly to form proof seal

V. Do you have an open vented roof vent directly above your shower tray area that will allow water moisture into the caravan,

VI. Have you fitted Winter Shields to your external fridge vents, recommended?

VII. Can water moisture such as dew or raising damp penetrate the underside of your caravan via floor vents etc.

VIII. Just in case you are asked, do you leave your dog, or the wife in the van when over wintering, would you believe I was asked that question by a major manufacturer.

When you witness black or white powdery spores on the laminate inside the van this is an indicator that the laminates are being stored in a damp environment, speak to any stockist. When caught early enough yes you can wipe it off, but be aware that the wood itself will expand due to increased water content, the edging trim will unpeel, and eventually the wood will warp badly. It happened in my new Limousin.

If you can find no obvious reason for your problem place trays of cat litter throughout the interior of the caravan to help reduce water moisture levels to acceptable state reducing the chance of further damage.

If you read some of the blog's posted with reference to damp, moisture, dew, water vapour, condensation, ask yourself the question how did the water get into my caravan to start with.

Good Luck

Bob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts