Dash cam positioning.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Did the Dashcam footage actually help the police or insurance company?
I was lucky and not involved in a collision with the offending driver of the other vehicle thanks to my quick reaction. However if they had hit us the footage would have shown the other driver to be completely in the wrong.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can still remove the dashcam as it clips into the holder.
I know that as I bonded my dashcam mount to the screen then installed the dash cam 24 hours later. But to some ( of a nervous disposition) the positioning of the holder may be a concern to them when it comes to MoT time. If it’s bonded then they have a Sophie’s choice to make.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
We were once badly cut up by an HGV whilst towing the caravan on the M1.

We noted the reg, and the name of the company.

We tracked down the transport manager for the company who requested the footage which we duly provided. A few days later he rang us back after reviewing our video and also reviewing the CCTV footage from the rear of the HGV.

He agreed his driver's manoeuvre was dangerous and confirmed 'appropriate' action had been taken. What that was we do not know but hopefully he was taught a lesson and hasn't done such a stupid thing again.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I know that as I bonded my dashcam mount to the screen then installed the dash cam 24 hours later. But to some ( of a nervous disposition) the positioning of the holder may be a concern to them when it comes to MoT time. If it’s bonded then they have a Sophie’s choice to make.
If the MOT inspector decides it is inappropriately mounted, they are not allowed to touch so the option is then to fail the MOT. A lot depends on the MOT inspector. Some ignore and others fail.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the MOT inspector decides it is inappropriately mounted, they are not allowed to touch so the option is then to fail the MOT. A lot depends on the MOT inspector. Some ignore and others fail.
It’s quite an objective set of guidance notes provided by HMG by which Testers assess suitability. They even discount the height of the driver, so you don’t need to search for a vertically challenged Tester v

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Did the Dashcam footage actually help the police or insurance company?
I was very dazed just after. officer came and sat next to me, first aid. He was saying not to worry they would take a statement later.
I point out the dash cam he looked at called the other officer over, he used it to challenger the other drivee. His insurance admitted liability and they settled within a week. Had another motor within a fortnight.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can you name these countries? We used ours in France and Spain no problem.

It would seem that where they are legal having to blur out footage of people or registration plates defeats the object.

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Austria, Luxemburg, Slovakia and Portugal, restrictions in other counties to usage of recordings, ie only to be made available to the police etc Sorry don't know how to put a link in Just type "which countries don't allow a dashcam" it could be out of date and things could have changed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

It would seem that where they are legal having to blur out footage of people or registration plates defeats the object.
Hardly an issue so basically it is not a problem using one in the majority of countries.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Austria, Luxemburg, Slovakia and Portugal, restrictions in other counties to usage of recordings, ie only to be made available to the police etc
Austria does not ban dashcams? The restrictions are basically that you cannot publish footage showing faces or registration numbers. There is no problem if you obey the laws of the country you are visiting.

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
As said information could be out of date, it appears that Austria, and Luxembourg does allow them now, but with the same restrictions as some other countries.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts