Dash cam positioning.

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Did the Dashcam footage actually help the police or insurance company?
I was lucky and not involved in a collision with the offending driver of the other vehicle thanks to my quick reaction. However if they had hit us the footage would have shown the other driver to be completely in the wrong.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
You can still remove the dashcam as it clips into the holder.
I know that as I bonded my dashcam mount to the screen then installed the dash cam 24 hours later. But to some ( of a nervous disposition) the positioning of the holder may be a concern to them when it comes to MoT time. If it’s bonded then they have a Sophie’s choice to make.

JRT

May 5, 2024
Visit site
We were once badly cut up by an HGV whilst towing the caravan on the M1.

We noted the reg, and the name of the company.

We tracked down the transport manager for the company who requested the footage which we duly provided. A few days later he rang us back after reviewing our video and also reviewing the CCTV footage from the rear of the HGV.

He agreed his driver's manoeuvre was dangerous and confirmed 'appropriate' action had been taken. What that was we do not know but hopefully he was taught a lesson and hasn't done such a stupid thing again.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I know that as I bonded my dashcam mount to the screen then installed the dash cam 24 hours later. But to some ( of a nervous disposition) the positioning of the holder may be a concern to them when it comes to MoT time. If it’s bonded then they have a Sophie’s choice to make.
If the MOT inspector decides it is inappropriately mounted, they are not allowed to touch so the option is then to fail the MOT. A lot depends on the MOT inspector. Some ignore and others fail.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If the MOT inspector decides it is inappropriately mounted, they are not allowed to touch so the option is then to fail the MOT. A lot depends on the MOT inspector. Some ignore and others fail.
It’s quite an objective set of guidance notes provided by HMG by which Testers assess suitability. They even discount the height of the driver, so you don’t need to search for a vertically challenged Tester v

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Did the Dashcam footage actually help the police or insurance company?
I was very dazed just after. officer came and sat next to me, first aid. He was saying not to worry they would take a statement later.
I point out the dash cam he looked at called the other officer over, he used it to challenger the other drivee. His insurance admitted liability and they settled within a week. Had another motor within a fortnight.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Can you name these countries? We used ours in France and Spain no problem.

It would seem that where they are legal having to blur out footage of people or registration plates defeats the object.

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
Austria, Luxemburg, Slovakia and Portugal, restrictions in other counties to usage of recordings, ie only to be made available to the police etc Sorry don't know how to put a link in Just type "which countries don't allow a dashcam" it could be out of date and things could have changed.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site

It would seem that where they are legal having to blur out footage of people or registration plates defeats the object.
Hardly an issue so basically it is not a problem using one in the majority of countries.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Austria, Luxemburg, Slovakia and Portugal, restrictions in other counties to usage of recordings, ie only to be made available to the police etc
Austria does not ban dashcams? The restrictions are basically that you cannot publish footage showing faces or registration numbers. There is no problem if you obey the laws of the country you are visiting.

Jul 25, 2021
Visit site
As said information could be out of date, it appears that Austria, and Luxembourg does allow them now, but with the same restrictions as some other countries.

Aug 5, 2023
Visit site
Mine is just left of the rear view mirror, I have it set to show speed, not the camera view, and I can see it "Just".
A Nextbase 320 GW.
How do you find the Nextbase Hutch, was looking at the 622, but reviews are mixed about customer services and also the software App?

Been lookin at Dashcams for front and rear since we just about got bumped into coming home from Scarborough, the guy even drove past and used the 'W' sign with his right hand yet it was him at fault!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023
Visit site
Mine is behind the mirror. I have been told that it is a MOT fail if the examiner sitting in the driver's seat can view the screen on the dashcam. It may also be an offence if the driver can view the screen while driving as they might as well be watching a DVD. Maybe someone with better legal knowledge on this can advise better than myself?

Its not a MOT fail unless it obscures vison.
This is perfectly legal.. They can disconnect it or may ask to have it disconnected.
GDPR and Data Protection.
There are a number of guides to positioning dashcams that take into account the safety aspects of its positioning. Mine I can see from the drivers seat but it’s high up and in my peripheral vision unless I want to see it. But there are no reasons to look at it when driving. The car has now had two MoTs and passed okay.

View attachment 6791
I've had several MOT's done and just disconnect it.
Anything hanging from the interior mirror and viewable in the swept area of the drivers wiper IS a fail.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
How do you find the Nextbase Hutch, was looking at the 622, but reviews are mixed about customer services and also the software App?

Been lookin at Dashcams for front and rear since we just about got bumped into coming home from Scarborough, the guy even drive past and used the 'W' sign with his right hand yet it was him at fault!
We bought the 622 front and rear direct from Nextbase and got them to do the installation. They both had sticky pads to bond them to the windows. Unfortunately the front one kept falling off in hot weather so opted for the suction mount. No issue with rear camera. Both have been brilliant. SIL has the same combination and has already transferred it once no issues.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’d endorse Buckmans view, the sticky pads don’t really do it despite how much care is given. So I transferred to a suction mount and fir the last 6 months it’s been absolutely fine.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site

Been lookin at Dashcams for front and rear since we just about got bumped into coming home from Scarborough, the guy even drove past and used the 'W' sign with his right hand yet it was him at fault!
I found the Next base 322 GW to be fine, the software has been ok, I view it on my Android tablet, I had to reset the "G" limits for going around roundabouts here in Milton Keynes as the factory setting would cause the Dashcam to record an incident if I was a bit frisky changing lanes. Otherwise a great little unit.

Reactions: Saxo Appeal
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I found the Next base 322 GW to be fine, the software has been ok, I view it on my Android tablet, I had to reset the "G" limits for going around roundabouts here in Milton Keynes as the factory setting would cause the Dashcam to record an incident if I was a bit frisky changing lanes. Otherwise a great little unit.
Potholes and roundabouts set mine to freeze the last three minutes!

It just sits there and occasionally I remove it and reformat the SD card as advise in the owners manual.

Reactions: Hutch
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I’d endorse Buckmans view, the sticky pads don’t really do it despite how much care is given. So I transferred to a suction mount and fir the last 6 months it’s been absolutely fine.
I've got a Nextbase 522, with an attached rear view lens - it's on a suction mount which is generally fine except in hot sunny weather when it'll fall off the screen if I forget to close the blind on the panoramic sunroof.

I've fitted it behind, but below, the rear view mirror - I can see the moving image which is technically illegal - I leave it in place for MoT tests and haven't had an issue with it, not even an advisory.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've got a Nextbase 522, with an attached rear view lens - it's on a suction mount which is generally fine except in hot sunny weather when it'll fall off the screen if I forget to close the blind on the panoramic sunroof.

I've fitted it behind, but below, the rear view mirror - I can see the moving image which is technically illegal - I leave it in place for MoT tests and haven't had an issue with it, not even an advisory.
My reading of the HMG MoT testers guide is that if it’s not within a specified area of the swept screen it’s not illegal. You can always switch it to no display but like you I don’t. My garage requests it be turned off for service and mot but I don’t bother, although I do set the car to valet mode to save my infotainment system being “interrogated “. 😂

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts