DashCams

Page 4 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I contacted Nextbase and surprisingly they still have no suction fittings available and are even stock out on adhesive mounts. So it’s a case of self help again. But looking at the 522gw installation instructions I feel they contribute to the problem. After cleaning the screen you are instructed to hold the new adhesive pad against the screen for 5 seconds. This seems a very short time as most other types of adhesive pad bonds state 30 seconds, and then leave for a period of time unloaded to allow curing. Yet for Nextbase straight after attaching the pad you install the mount and then camera. You are then advised to align the camera for view and adjust its polarising filter. Then if the kit has been fitted by a technician they will no doubt demonstrate to you how to remove the camera, or adjust settings etc. If it’s not fitted at home then there will be road perturbations on the mounted dash cam.

So I’ve obtained some 3M VHB pads and today I will reinstall it by pressing the pad to windscreen for 30 seconds and then leaving the adhesive to cure for 24 hours before reattaching the camera etc. Then do the same again in October😱

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I contacted Nextbase and surprisingly they still have no suction fittings available and are even stock out on adhesive mounts. So it’s a case of self help again.
The new adhesive mount that they supplied a few months ago seems to be much better than the old one as camera has not fallen off again, but then we have not had a string of really hot days since mid June.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yesterday we were coming back on the A1 someone nearly cause me to have a bad accident in my new car he never signal and i had to brake suddenly So i was looking in the latest Practical caravan magazine saw a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 or a Nextbase 422GW so i asking for some advice which one would be a good buy .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Yesterday we were coming back on the A1 someone nearly cause me to have a bad accident in my new car he never signal and i had to brake suddenly So i was looking in the latest Practical caravan magazine saw a Garmin Dash Cam Mini 2 or a Nextbase 422GW so i asking for some advice which one would be a good buy .
We have the Nextbase 422GW in our other car and it has a user friendly interface. In the Jeep we have the Nextbase 622GW but with a rear view camera. We bought direct from Nextbase who also arranged the instal.

Reactions: Beachball
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have nextbase 522gw in our runabout. Their customer service is excellent as the initial adhesive mount detached in a very hot day and Nextbase sent me a free replacement. Easy interface fir using it.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Looks like the nextbase has won this round with there customer service how long does it take to install ?
Looking at buying it from Halfords .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Looks like the nextbase has won this round with there customer service how long does it take to install ?
Looking at buying it from Halfords .
We would not use Halfords for installation as last time they really messed up and it cost us another £50 to get the unit properly installed. Simply buy Online direct from Nextbase and no issues.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We would not use Halfords for installation as last time they really messed up and it cost us another £50 to get the unit properly installed. Simply buy Online direct from Nextbase and no issues.
Just look at Nextbase online i will buy it from them it a no -brainer thanks (y)

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Another for the Nextbase 522gw. Many cars are easy DIY fits. My current car even has a power outlet built into the mirror. If you are happy to have a trailing wire then they only need plugging into a cigar lighter. However hidden wiring can be more difficult and require professional fitting.

The 522gw allows for a rearview camera, I have the one on the rear screen. It needs the wire passing through ducting and behind the roof lining. I would ask yourself if you want this as well as fitting for both may be cheaper. Also, they do packages which can save a few bob.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We use a Nextbase and just put up with the wire trailing. It should not be a problem provided you are not likely to catch it when driving, although the garage have removed in from the windscreen when it is in, possibly so I cannot see what hey have done.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Stopping dashcams whilst vehicles are in garages for services, MOTs etc seems the rule, which I can totally understand, leaving it on could open the garage to a whole raft of problems if the car owner started sharing clips.
Not just to hide what they are doing, the camera would record much more.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Stopping dashcams whilst vehicles are in garages for services, MOTs etc seems the rule, which I can totally understand, leaving it on could open the garage to a whole raft of problems if the car owner started sharing clips.
My dashcam clearly showed the workshop manager using my car to go to the bank and visit home while in for some work. On other occasions, it has not shown anything untoward. But plenty of swearing!

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On my previous Jeep, it showed the Jeep being used for a shopping trip about a mile from the garage. They bought sandwiches and cokes as audio was recorded.

The vehicle was in for a service only and the bonnet was open for nearly 2 hours and not a thing was done, but I had to pay for the 2 hours at £99 an hour, Strangely on our next trip out the vehicle had a catastrophic failure costing us over £2000 to get it back on the road. Coincidence?

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I don’t tend to think about my dashcam when I put the car into a garage. But I am surprised how few do not disengage it. Only one to my memory. If it was me, I would.

If the dashcam was like the security cameras I have at home. I could speak to them. “Oi, you're not doing that right.”.
“Hope you are not charging by the hour at that speed”

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I ignored nextbase guide for attaching it to windscreen. After cleaning screen with iso alcohol I pressed adhesive pad to windscreen holding for 60 seconds. I then left it for 24 hours to achieve max bond strength and then attached and positioned the camera. So far it’s held on beautifully.

Reactions: Buckman

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
Well i am off to the Ford dealer today just to make sure where the best spot to put the dashcam on my car windscreen

High unless you want to view a lot of your bonnet, mine in both cars are tucked under the rear view mirror as tightly as I can.
This also means the cable can be pushed under the headlining .

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
High unless you want to view a lot of your bonnet, mine in both cars are tucked under the rear view mirror as tightly as I can.
This also means the cable can be pushed under the headlining .
That why i am checking with my car a Ford Tourneo Connect and it would be very easy to push under the headlining with no problems

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Ford are not experts at installing dashcams as that is not part of their remit and they could give you incorrect advice. Why not leave it to the experts in dashcam installation?

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
A lot put theirs to the right of the mirror. I find this obscures my vision too much. Easy answer, mine is to the left of the mirror. I can hardly see it while driving. But it is still doing the job.

Fords are not likely to be experts in this. Even if they install them.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
In both our cars the dashcam is behind the mirror where I cannot view the dashcam. If the driver can see the dashcam, the car will fail a MOT.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well i am off to the Ford dealer today just to make sure where the best spot to put the dashcam on my car windscreen
Here are Nextbase instructions for positioning. Get it wrong and the police could fine you, and any footage may then not be admissible to your insurer. Which do a good write up on dash cam usage, positioning and legality both here and abroad.

JTQ

May 7, 2005
Visit site
I guess a lot depends on the MOT tester.

Is there not a "target" area centred on the steering wheel , like screen damage that applies, rather than "opinions" of particular testers?
If it was any thing you could see, then from my observations the police and ambulances would not stand a chance of passing with the screen dash clutter they drive about with; but that's assuming the rules apply equally to them, unlike us with wearing seatbelts.

TRENDING THREADS