DashCams

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Is there not a "target" area centred on the steering wheel , like screen damage that applies, rather than "opinions" of particular testers?
If it was any thing you could see, then from my observations the police and ambulances would not stand a chance of passing with the screen dash clutter they drive about with; but that's assuming the rules apply equally to them, unlike us with wearing seatbelts.
About the same clutter as TPMS monitors, stand alone dash cams and rear view monitors all of which whilst potentially beneficial do require driver distraction, whereas the dash cam doesn’t come into my field of vision for driving, but can be partially viewed if required from the driving seat. But it’s not something I need to look at, unlike the aforementioned kit. One answer to any potential mot problem would be to remove camera and power mount then the small adhesive bonded attachment for the power mount and camera isn’t visible from the driving seat. But that problem hasn’t arisen.

Heres a screenshot from the link at #98 and is Nextbase’s guidance plus a link to MOT testers guidance.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-ins...er-and-light-commercial-vehicles/3-visibility

IMG_1063.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
It could have been from when dashcams were first used and a fail by a MOT tester as he could see the screen even though it did not obstruct vision. Possibly a law regarding being able to view a screen which has "movement" on it i.e. DVD screen from driver's seat which I think is still illegal? :unsure:

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Ford are not experts at installing dashcams as that is not part of their remit and they could give you incorrect advice. Why not leave it to the experts in dashcam installation?
Actually i was just asking Ford where the best place for the dashcam on my windscreen did not say they were going to fit it

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Here are Nextbase instructions for positioning. Get it wrong and the police could fine you, and any footage may then not be admissible to your insurer. Which do a good write up on dash cam usage, positioning and legality both here and abroad.

Been to my dealer funny enough he said position the dashcam to the left of the mirror on my windscreen but thanks for the information i have noted it .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Been to my dealer funny enough he said position the dashcam to the left of the mirror on my windscreen but thanks for the information i have noted it .
Mine is to the left of the mirror well up on the screen but within the area of the wipers. I avoided positioning it on areas of black shading behind the mirror as it wouldn’t bond very well and it would be neigh on impossible to make adjustments to settings so the dash cam would have to be removed and powered up separately to do things with it.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Actually i was just asking Ford where the best place for the dashcam on my windscreen did not say they were going to fit it
I am aware that they would not be fitting the unit, but also they are not experts where the best place is for the dashcam to be fitted and could give you incorrect advice. Leave the location and fitting to the experts.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am aware that they would not be fitting the unit, but also they are not experts where the best place is for the dashcam to be fitted and could give you incorrect advice. Leave the location and fitting to the experts.
Hardly think fitting a dash cam is rocket science. Our Kia dealer fits them at a fixed price as Nextbase are an official accessory but I didn’t use them as it was more expensive than Halfords and a 422 not the 522 model.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine is to the left of the mirror well up on the screen but within the area of the wipers. I avoided positioning it on areas of black shading behind the mirror as it wouldn’t bond very well and it would be neigh on impossible to make adjustments to settings so the dash cam would have to be removed and powered up separately to do things with it.
Hi Clive i also got some black shading he said it would not bond to it i mark the spot he said to the left of the mirror well up screen . but cannot make my mind up which dashcam to buy i like the 422 / 522 but i don"t own a smart phone so will it work through bluetooth only .

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hardly think fitting a dash cam is rocket science. Our Kia dealer fits them at a fixed price as Nextbase are an official accessory but I didn’t use them as it was more expensive than Halfords and a 422 not the 522 model.
That may true, but why go to a dealer that has no knowledge of fitting them and can only make a suggestion?

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi Clive i also got some black shading he said it would not bond to it i mark the spot he said to the left of the mirror . but cannot make my mind up which dashcam to buy i like the 422 / 522 but i don"t own a smart phone so will it work through bluetooth only .
You do not need a Smartphone to operate a dashcam. It is only used for downloading any video footage however you could download that direct to your computer without using a Smartphone.

Reactions: Mr Plodd
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That may true, but why go to a dealer that has no knowledge of fitting them and can only make a suggestion?
i went to the dealer where i got my new car but i saw someone on service / parts his suggestion was spot on where i should position it on my car windscreen to left of the mirror up the screen avoid the black shading . he even put a dashcam in his own car that good enough for me great customer service

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Hi Clive i also got some black shading he said it would not bond to it i mark the spot he said to the left of the mirror well up screen . but cannot make my mind up which dashcam to buy i like the 422 / 522 but i don"t own a smart phone so will it work through bluetooth only .
I can use my 522 with the smartphone. But when I have tried to do so I found it clunky and slow.

I just periodically link the cam to the computer, or just remove the SD card. But computers are becoming less popular at home. I will be interested to hear others' views on using a smartphone with a dashcam.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
To get the best view the top of the windscreen should be the best place but I have mine mounted just above the dash which is far easier to deal with and still gives enough cover.
Not tried connecting to a smart phone but I could play back the recording if I needed to.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can use my 522 with the smartphone. But when I have tried to do so I found it clunky and slow.

I just periodically link the cam to the computer, or just remove the SD card. But computers are becoming less popular at home. I will be interested to hear others' views on using a smartphone with a dashcam.

John
Don’t use the 522 with smartphone or Alexa. Just remove SD card and view on. Mac Mini. But unless there’s something special there’s not a lot of point in doing that now the novelty has worn off. Once a month reformat SF card in situ as advised by Nextbase.

Reactions: Jcloughie
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Don’t use the 522 with smartphone or Alexa. Just remove SD card and view on. Mac Mini. But unless there’s something special there’s not a lot of point in doing that now the novelty has worn off. Once a month reformat SF card in situ as advised by Nextbase.
The last time I downloaded any footage was off my 422GW about 5 years ago in Wales when we witnessed a terrible accident right in front of us. Police were not interested in the footage.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rather than blanket condemning a dealerships you don't know, ask the dealer if they are experienced with fitting a dashcam with consideration of the law, and best view to record, or whether they use a subcontractor.

If they use a subcontractor there is a good chance you can use them directly and save some mark up the dealer would have charged you.

Any dealership that is not confident about it should tell you.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site

John
Hi John i use my laptop all the time at home so please you can connect dashcam with it, i also like to know how you use a smartphone my wife got one (y)

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Hi John i use my laptop all the time at home so please you can connect dashcam with it . i also like to know how you use a smartphone my wife got one (y)
Using the laptop instead of the Smart phone, it is a lot easier to download clips from the dashcam if you wish to do so.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi John i use my laptop all the time at home so please you can connect dashcam with it, i also like to know how you use a smartphone my wife got one (y)
The Nextbase manual explains how to interface the dash cam with various external bits of kit such as phone, laptop, tablets etc, even Alexa. But quite honestly it’s not something that needs to be done very often and hopefully not at all👍The dash cams own settings menu is enough to set it up and use.

Reactions: Buckman
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
As others have said. The Nextbase handbook shows various ways to connect and control the dashcam. Nextbase also has video tutorials. I have found connecting via wifi using a smartphone is a bit clunky and rather than persevere I take the camera out and plug it into my computer using a USB cable. You can also remove the SD card and put this in a reader connected to a computer. Whatever suits you. There is no right or wrong way.

Nextbase has an APP for whatever platform you are using. This lets you find and watch the short videos and edit and save them as you want.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I found the easiest was to remove the camera and connect it via the USB cable to the laptop for downloads. Quick and easy, but last time I did that was several months ago when I forwarded the footage to the police. Never heard anything more.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I found the easiest was to remove the camera and connect it via the USB cable to the laptop for downloads. Quick and easy, but last time I did that was several months ago when I forwarded the footage to the police. Never heard anything more.
I recently tried to submit some footage to the police. I edited the videos so they clearly showed front and rear views. The location was unmistakable as was the make model and reg number of the car involved.

But when I came to pass it on it did not meet their criteria as I needed to add the videos immediately before and after. Does not make sense as some have their video lengths set differently.

So I was disappointed with the police’s logic.

I did not worry about it too much as it was not a very serious incident. I entered a roundabout to exit at the first exit. A car did the same on my outside!

John

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Many don’t realise that if they submit videos of “bad” driving via the public portal to the police they may be called upon to act as a witness. This means giving a statement and if a case is pursued could in some circumstances be required to attend a court hearing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts