Dead wipers again

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
A while back I posted a message about a return trip of ours with the caravan when the windscreen wipers died on route. Limped home and due to another upcoming trip we couldn't postpone replaced the dead wiper motor with a cheap Chinamazon motor because I could get it within 2 days. It worked, sort of, for about 3 months but died this morning. And wouldn't you know it we have another trip away planned in a couple of days time. This time we'll have no option but to cancel as I've bought the OEM motor and it wont be here in time.

Seems Germany is the only place that stocks decent motor spares hence the postponement.

Get what you pay for I guess.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but the OEM part from Germany should arrive within 4/5 days. However, this is just on the cusp of when we have to make a decision to cancel our next trip or not, so that we don't incur any costs.

Getting one from a breakers would probably take just as long and would be of unknown condition and no warranty.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion but the OEM part from Germany should arrive within 4/5 days. However, this is just on the cusp of when we have to make a decision to cancel our next trip or not, so that we don't incur any costs.

Getting one from a breakers would probably take just as long and would be of unknown condition and no warranty.
Looks like you have decided to wait for the new part can you not transfer your trip to another date ;)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The part was still in Berlin this morning so I've canceled the next trip . Unfortunately there isn't any available dates after that although someone else may cancel so I'll keep checking.

Mind you the weather isn't looking that great anyway.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Unless you use OEM or a reputable make I am afraid you risk buying rubbish. When you have safety critical items I would be careful.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Your right but I needed something to get me going quickly and the cheap rubbish was the only option. I've now bought the OEM part and got a refund for the dead part.

Problem is with the weather at present I'm off the road until it arrives.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
The part was still in Berlin this morning so I've canceled the next trip . Unfortunately there isn't any available dates after that although someone else may cancel so I'll keep checking.

Mind you the weather isn't looking that great anyway.
Hi Sam the weather can always change just keep checking you never know someone might cancelled ;)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The new OEM wiper motor arrived yesterday. This was the day we should have been going away but had to cancel it earlier to avoid paying.

A slight panic at first as the mounting posts had no threads to take the screws. I thought they might be self tapping but didn't want to try it before checking. Number 1 FAQ on the manufacturers web site - "Why aren't there any threads in the fixing posts". "Because they are self tapping screws."

Anyway its fitted and what a difference in performance. The cheap chinese knock off was like a teenager in bed that you've asked to tidy up their room. Turn on wipers - Ah! do I have to? Then after a while the its " Can't be bovvered with this"

The new one fairly sprints across the screen with a degree of eagerness and returns to the parked position with the impression its asking you what else can it do for you. I thought about washing the car but so far no reaction.

At least the knock off got me out of a hole for a while and I got my money back from Amazon.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts