Dealer Delivery Dates - how accurate?

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Anyone been promised their new caravan for such a date & then been disappointed by delays? Was expecting my new Bailey this week but just been told its not even built yet. I ordered it about 5 weeks ago. I have a weekend away booked to try it out but it looks like i'll have to miss that & the first test will be the 350 mile trip to cornwall for my summer hols. :-(

BTW this isnt my first van but its the first brand new one.

Jun 21, 2006
Visit site
We have had five new Bailey's. One was in stock. One was a week late. One was a week early. The other two were bang on time.

Two were ordered a good few months in advance.

Jan 20, 2008
Visit site
WE actuall got our Burgundy three weeks early. We were told that the previous model going through had been suspended early as they had run out of the relevent shower trays because of supply issues when Thompson Plastics had their problems.

There loss was our gain.

Dave.

Di3

Jul 20, 2008
Visit site
Glenn

We ordered our new Pageant at the NEC in Feb, were originally told mid to late May, when I rang to ask if everything was going to schedule I was pleased to be told that delivery would bee a month early, and can say had a really positive experience so far, from both Bailey and the dealer.

This is also our first brand new van, keep in contact with your dealer, get them to check with Bailey, you never know things do change, we took delivery approx four weeks from build date, don't know if that helps you, but hope you get news of your new van soon.

Di

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Glen,

I can understand your frustration, but I also know that due to the way caravans are produced, it's a wonder that so many people do get them on time.

In fairness your dealer probably quoted you a likely delivery date based on his past experience, and when everything is going well, and caravan manufacturers suppliers are able to keep the stocks of parts up to the necessary levels then the process becomes more predictable.

It only takes one supplier to let the manufacture down and that can stop the whole product line from completing caravans.

The caravan industry has been moving towards a Just In Time parts delivery system, where rather than keeping large stocks of part in the factory, the caravan manufacture strikes a deal with their suppliers where the supplier delivers the part in smaller quantities but just in time for them to be used.

This is a system used extensively by the car industry, and the car manufactures have very hand out heavy penalties if a supplier gets it wrong.

With so much turmoil in the manufacturing industries and sadly some companies closing, there is a greatly enhanced chance that a parts supplier will upset the final goods manufacturing process.

If a key component supplier goes belly up, it can take several weeks to find an alternative supplier. Just imagine the turmoil if say Alko disappeared, Firstly could a product from another manufacture just be bolted on? And could the new supplier turn up their quantities to meet the new demand?

It's a quite finely balanced situation.

Ihope you caravan does arrive soon - with all its parts!

SMS

Dec 6, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I've now had three Baileys, all delivered on time. Ring Bailey up they will normally tell you the exact week when your van is being built. Your dealership then receives it a few days later.

May 5, 2005
Visit site
Exactly as SMS says Bailey were very accurate,used Golden Castle to buy and ther forecast was spot on.Think its more about the dealer being honest than anything else.

Sep 5, 2006
Visit site
Thanks all,

The dealer just called to say my van is going on the production line at the factory today or tomorrow & therefore the dealer should get it late this week or early next. Their PDI takes a couple of days so it's looking like I get to take delivery late next week. Who hoo!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts