Delamere Forest CCC site - info needed

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I've sort of cocked up on trying to get a site booked.

We've got 5th to 11th March booked of as holiday , due to recently being stupidly busy at work I forgot to check site availability before booking the time off (using last of current years holiday).

We also told a friend we'd visit her (she lives in Narberth , Pembrokeshire). Rapidly finding few places open until end of March , so thats gone out the window as well now.

Looking further afield Delamere CCC site has caught the eye.

Need to book today so can anyone give me any info on this site.

I ideally need to know what its like for kids , cycling and dog walks

Any help ?

Cheers

Roger

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
Have stayed there a few times now. Very new and clean toilets, nice site and you have direct access to the forest. Forest is suitable for dogs and bikes for the kids. My kids like to build dens with the fallen trees that abound and we all have a good laugh. Go ape is next door but its a bit pricey in my opinion.

Try the park and ride into chester its a beautiful city.

Yes I would recommend it.

Mike

Jul 11, 2006
Visit site
Hi Roger, Fully agree with all Mikes comments on Delamere Forest, we went Feb half term last year and the weather was a little milder then, we had a great time.

We have no kids with us {ours are older] but there was plenty of them there.

If your going to use the go ape facility I would suggest you book in advance as when we were there it was very busy.

The site is as Mike said immaculate and you can walk for miles in the forest.

The chinese restraunt down the road is ok and the station is next door although the trains arent intrusive.

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Hi

We've just booked Delamere for a few nights in May, but I've seen a comment on another forum saying

" I know what goes on in this area and no way would I put my van there"

Has anyone had any problems or heard anything to suggest it might not be a good place to go?

Thanks, Julie

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
I think they are refering to the rumours about dogging that may or may not go on in the various delamere carparks. Whilst the site is near a large car park it is not visible and in all the time me, my brother and my mum and dad have stayed there it has never been an issue, not even mentioned. In fact that forum comment is the only reference I have ever seen to it.

You will be fine, I am sure. Unless of course you were looking forward to a bit of dogging in which case you may be a tad disapointed ;-)

Mike Mc

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Julie ,

cant comment on the negative issues you allude to as I've not read them.

From my weeks experience all I can say is we really enjoyed the site and would go back there again.

In relation to the car parks the site is boardered on one side by the railway , the other the forest itself and the other the main road. So the only near car park is for the railway.

We pitched at the bottom end of the site over looking the railway and the other side the car park and I never saw any cars after dark.

I believe the car park may be locked as on one morning I walked my dogs early and the ranger was just unlocking the barriers. Also again on my walks I noticed and witnessed the forest car parks being locked / unlocked thus preventing vehicular traffic anyway.

The site is a lovelly site so I'd certainly give it a go , I've only seen good comments to date.

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Can't comment on the site but we live in Chester and our kids are 10, 7 and 4 and the forest is a regular picnic / walking / cycling destination for us.

Kids love it, miles of level tracks for cycling or just take off through the woods on foot. (There is a cycle rental business beside the forest visitor centre if required) Big (but v shallow) lake in the middle of the forest with plenty of picnic spots around it.

Never tried the Go Ape although the kids always ask to when we pass!

About 20 mins drive from Chester.

Martin

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks to all for the info. I must admit that was the only negative comment I've seen, I was just curious as to why someone would say that.

We'll definitely go for it! The holiday that is, and hopefully a trip to Chester, and lots of walks, but I think I might pass on snooping round car parks to see what may or may not be going on; I'd rather stay in with a beer and a good book!

Thanks again

Julie

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
i have been driving trains through delamere for a long time now and we used to have a pretty bad problem with mainly men meeting for activities with other men in the car park for the station and forest, however we have not seen any signs of this for at least 3 to 4 years now so i think you are quite safe.

the only problem you will have is with me becouse im jelous when im working and your in your van so i will sound the horn very loudly :)

Mar 15, 2008
Visit site
This is us the last time we went to Delamere
delamere.jpg

And this is the kids making a den in the forest - good fun
den.JPG

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
i have been driving trains through delamere for a long time now and we used to have a pretty bad problem with mainly men meeting for activities with other men in the car park for the station and forest, however we have not seen any signs of this for at least 3 to 4 years now so i think you are quite safe.

the only problem you will have is with me becouse im jelous when im working and your in your van so i will sound the horn very loudly :)
Thanks for that, and no blowing that horn too early in the morning!!

Julie

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
This is us the last time we went to Delamere
delamere.jpg

And this is the kids making a den in the forest - good fun
den.JPG
Thanks for the pictures Mike, we've got a Hardstanding pitch (all that was left by the time we booked)its looks quite big. We're used to having grass when we had our trailer tent, but at least we won't sink in if it's wet. We've just bought a porch awning like yours, Romany I think, will be trying it out next week on our first trip in van.

I'm well impressed with the girls den are they in the Scouts?

Thanks again

Julie

TRENDING THREADS