Dent in rear plastic panel

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi all
Could any one please give me some advice. We all got home safe and sound from a very wet and windy Devon on Sunday. Got Kids dogs and wife all in doors, then I backed the van in as I have done 100's of times before,only to hit the open garage door oh dear me.
On inspection I have managed to dent the top corner of the rear plastic panel. Now my question is can this be repaired (invisibly)or is it a whole new panel?? The van is a 2009 Avondale Dart I think in barley white. Many thanks Paul.

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
Hello Paul.

Not easy to say what would be the best way to repair it with out seeing the damage.......
Can you take a few photos & follow this link on how-post-forum-photos
Then some more advice can be given...
smiley-wink.gif

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Try Caravan Medic they have franchises around the country. They did a van local to me which had a nasty side gouge and the website shows pictures of caravan repairs to aluminium sides and plastic ends. Your insurer could pay a much reduced cost or if you decided to pay yourself it could be cheaper than the excess and loss of NCD. There was a thread within the last 12 months where someone did detail their experience too.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
From what i remember the panels on later Avondales are thermoplastic not GRP ( if they were the later then they are much easier too repair yourself)
The techniques used to repair thermoplasticpanels i have seen used involved splits so the were plastic welded, i believe you can also fill with flexible bumper filler then repray.
If the filler is white you could add pigments to it to match the original panel colour, its just a case of sanding back to the original profile with varying grades of sand paper finishing off with a very fine (1500) wet and dry.
I have repaired a hole and a crack in white GRP using Plastic Padding Gelcoat repair.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Paul, We have a 2008 Argente, Avondale went out of business that year so yours should be a 2008. I caught the backend on the porch and damaged the rear panel in 2009. I consulted the dealer who said they could not repair it. I had it replaced under the insurance who accepted it needed to be replaced. The parts took some getting then so I am not sure if this is possible now.
Ray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts