Descaling kettles

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I'm quite prepared for this tip to be shot down all round as one everyone knows - except me that was.

In areas of hard water kettles tend to get furred up and the general wisdom is to use vinegar or a de-scaling liquid to clean. However someone on our present site said they always used a lemon. Cut up at least half a lemon into chunks, put in the kettle and boil up - twice if necessary. Result perfectly clean kettle with very little after taste and even if there is goes with the tea.

Only downside is that boiled lemon is not good for G&T

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
RayS said:
I'm quite prepared for this tip to be shot down all round as one everyone knows - except me that was.

In areas of hard water kettles tend to get furred up and the general wisdom is to use vinegar or a de-scaling liquid to clean. However someone on our present site said they always used a lemon. Cut up at least half a lemon into chunks, put in the kettle and boil up - twice if necessary. Result perfectly clean kettle with very little after taste and even if there is goes with the tea.

Only downside is that boiled lemon is not good for G&T

Remember your old cub scout first aid, To neutralize an acid use an alkali and vise-versa. Lemon juice is an acid, I use it to descale my dogs metal water bowls and the kettle (not jiff lemon) as the juice is non chemical. It works a treat, get a nice big lemon and get squeezing. Make sure the kettle is dry, give it a swirl with the juice.

TRENDING THREADS