Detachable towbar

Dec 7, 2006
Visit site
We're having a detachable towbar fitted to our new Hyundai Santa Fe tomorrow. Anything I should be aware of with this type of bar?

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Don't put it in a safe place and then forget where that safe place is. ;)

Edit - Brilliant piece of kit and no more grazed shins. Couldn't get a detachable factory fitted on our new car so went for a retractable one - even better. :)

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I have a Westfalia detachable tow bar fitted to my Skoda Yeti , I find it excellent , very easy to fit/remove especially with the pull down /twist 13 pin socket . The tow bar locks in place when in use by a special key to prevent theft , the unit is absolutely solid in place , as rigid as any fixed towbar assembly . As soon as I've finished towing the first thing I do is to remove the tow bar and refit the section / plate to the bumper underside . This always amuses me with the glances you get from other caravanners staring at you rear bumper , as you cannot see any signs of a towbar . The days of dirty trousers and bruised shins are long gone , as for a tow ball being a reverse aid don't nearly all modern cars have rear parking sensors ? The next time you tow then again you refit a pristine condition tow hook .

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Not really any advice about the towbar, but make sure you have a kneeling pad to protect your trousers/knees when fitting it, I bought one from a garden centre which is waterproof, small in size but quite thick.

Sean.

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I have used one of these for years and one mistake I will not make again is to leave it on the car. Stupid thing to do as it defeated the whole purpose of being detachable, however I did leave it on for ages and when I finally decided to take it off I couldn't. I took the car to the garage and they told me it had "rusted" itself into place within the mechanism. I never ever got it off the car so my advice would be to use it as intended B)

Phil

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
HomerS . How has it gone, I have the Witter on mine, not happy too far from the bumper , ended up stronger bolts and redoing it myself with spring washeres and thread lock but looking to change to a Tow Trust bar. Any photos if poss. ARHUtcheon@aol.com. if possible. . 07876 425250.
Thanks
Hutch.

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I have a fold away one and its electric too, but i leave it in the out position. Saved my bumper this Christmas in Tesco's car park when someone drove into the back of my car whilst parked no damage to my car but they drove off with a broken number plate and bumper.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mine is the fixed flange Witter, and with the number of spare wheels getting stolen , I can loop a motorcycle protected chain through the wheel and around the tow cross bar. Whoes make is yours, ?
Hutch.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Not really, all well designed, and you can lock the" turny" bit that releases the removable tow part so that idiots dont mess with it in carparks.
I stuck to the fixed flange as I then know how far into the garage I am. !!!!
Hutch.

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
HomerS1 said:
We're having a detachable towbar fitted to our new Hyundai Santa Fe tomorrow. Anything I should be aware of with this type of bar?
I had one fitted yesterday to SWMBOs Audi Q5, seems a very simple bit of kit and sticks out enough for the Alko hitch.
Not had a chance to tow with it yet because we our van isn't handed over to us until the 6th Feb. :)

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
Not really, all well designed, and you can lock the" turny" bit that releases the removable tow part so that idiots dont mess with it in carparks.
I stuck to the fixed flange as I then know how far into the garage I am. !!!!
Hutch.

And Titanic was unsinkable......................

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
I would stick with a fixed towbar as another post said earlier it is a good deterant if someone hit's the back of your car it is more likely theirs to be damaged and not yours my friend came not long ago to borrow my trailer -not the caravan - a smaller trailer and trying to fix his detachable towbar to the back of his took 25 minutes what a joke ! Not that im a bad driver but it's also handy when you reverse park :p :whistle: !

Feb 3, 2008
Visit site
Don't forget that moving the towball in the wrong direction (if someone hits you or you hit the garage wall) could buckle the car floor. :eek:hmy:

As for 25 minutes to fit a detachable towbar - bad operator. ;)

Oct 12, 2013
Visit site
Woodlands , it was dark , he came when I was having my tea which I wasn't happy about and I hadnt fitted 1 before and they had just getting the car and he didn't have a clue either!! And I'm not saying that I reversed into walls on purpose or bump things on purpose with the towbar either

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts