Determining maximum nose weight of caravan

Jul 6, 2019
Visit site
Hi,
We've purchased a 2008 Ace Supreme Twinstar caravan and would like to know how we find out if there is a maximum nose weight for this particular caravan. I can't find any information regarding this in the handbook.
Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ted,

Welcome to the forum.

The maximum nose load a coupling can sustain is officially known as it's S value. The chassis manufacturer is required unde EU regulations to have it on an indelibley marked on the chassis near the coupling.

The majority of UK caravans use Alko chassis and the couplings are usually rated at 100kg or 150kg for bigger caravans. If you can't find the plate, then you should verify the rating with the caravan manufacturer.

Please also remember that the towbar on your vehicle will have an S value limit. If the two limits are different, you should never exceed the lower value.

The limits are set to protect the structural integrity of both the car and trailer.

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
If the caravan was manufactured after 2014 it will have a statutory type approval plate, often located in the front locker, and that must show the maximum allowable noseweight. It is quoted as axle 0.

Jul 6, 2019
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I found the plate under the 'fairing'? near the handbrake/coupling, this van has an s value of 100kg.
Thanks for your assistance!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Teds,

The value you have found is the upper limit for the caravans coupling, and you car should have a similar plate on its towbar, telling you the upper limit for the car. The car and caravan may have different limits and you must abide by the lower of the two limits

As nose loads are a variable load and are created by the way you load the trailer, you should adjust the trailers loading so the static nose load does not exceed the lowest limit.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I would assume 100 kg if you cannot find the stamped figure. The Swift Owners Club might be able to help if all else fails.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Raywood said:
I would assume 100 kg if you cannot find the stamped figure. The Swift Owners Club might be able to help if all else fails.

The OP has already found the caravans chassis plate with the S value of 100kg. But you must not assume the car has a limit of 100. Always check the towbars plate for the manufactures limit.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Raywood said:

The OP has already found the caravans chassis plate with the S value of 100kg. But you must not assume the car has a limit of 100. Always check the towbars plate for the manufactures limit.

Hi Prof, another point to "point out " is that on my tow bar the stick on label showing , weights etc has become unreadable, so it is up to the user to be aware as to the limits of the " Tow bar" and not just the limit of the car. It may have been fitted , incorrectly. . Most unlikely but possible.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
ProfJohnL said:
Raywood said:

Hi Prof, another point to "point out " is that on my tow bar the stick on label showing , weights etc has become unreadable, so it is up to the user to be aware as to the limits of the " Tow bar" and not just the limit of the car. It may have been fitted , incorrectly. . Most unlikely but possible.

Likewise mine was an adhesive mounted data label. All I’ve got now is a photo to remember it by. And that’s in just two years.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
On the last car there was no sticker just the EU authorisation code stamped on and the details could be downloaded from the internet and a copy carried in the car. Not sure ifthis can be done now but you could try it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts