DFDS short crossings, new fares, and new terms and conditions affecting all who use DFDS Dover/Calais/Dunkerque crossings

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
DFDS now have a new fare structure on their website for the short crossings to Calais or Dunkerque, with each sailing having an Economy and a Premium fare. Although there is brief information on the website, I asked DFDS for the full terms and conditions of each fare.

This is the 'expanded' terms and conditions, as supplied by DFDS this morning.

Economy: Non refundable, amendment fee of £10 or 15EUR per amended leg, amendments subject to increase in fare. No refunds for cheaper sailings. Will be charged for all amendments including one sailing before or after at the port. Economy ticket will be charged at £25 or 30EUR less than Premium tickets.

Premium: Refundable up to 48 hours prior to departure (refund requests must be put in writing). No amendment fees but amendments subject to any increase in fare, Refund available if amended to a cheaper sailing more than 48hours prior to departure. Can arrive at port up to 72 hours before or after booked departure and travel at no extra cost subject to space. Premium tickets are charged at £25/30EUR more than Economy tickets.

This may not suit people who've been used to turning up early or late, and being put on the next crossing or people with a long journey and uncertain arrival times in Dover! Beware - your crossing may cost you more than you think.

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
DFDS Dover to Dunkirk
It appears that the 'cheap crossings of £58.00 return' are a thing of the past if booked really early!!
Looking at the DFDS web site for the sailings we want in April and returning in late June, it would cost us over £160.00 if boooked this week. Hopefully they might introduce 'the code' that will give us a discount. Failing that, It looks like we will wait to the last possible minute to book, maybe if we all take this stance, the ferry operator may bring down its prices!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We've been lucky enough to have travelled on the Norfolk line/DFDS £58 offer a few times, though I seem to recall paying more like £80 last summer. But even that was still great value compared to the £150-200 we were paying for short channel crossings in the 80s/90s. I too will be waiting for "the code" before I book, so fingers crossed !

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
Interestingly, someone on another forum saw a Caravan Club offer yesterday, £58.00 return crossings, any time, any sailing, but a phone call was needed in order to book 'as DFDS were updating their price structure' Today he rang the Caravan Club, and they suggested that there might be some interesting offers from this weekend, and that he should wait before booking!

So watch this space.

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Checked the Caravan Club web site booking service over the last 3 days, our booking came in at £68.00, but failed to go through (break down on the DFDS web site they say). I will keep checking, Hoping that Val A or someone can come up with a code that gives us a bargain!
When you have 'jumped' over the channel with DFDS for £58.00, to think of paying nearly £160.00 is a bit of shock.
As Val says, weight and see, fingers crossed 'campers'!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts