Diesel cars after 12th December.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Will they banned?
Will they be taxed more?
Where does this uncertainty leave the caravanner?

I don’t care who gets in. Just trying to readjust as a caravanner who gets in post 12. 12. 2019

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Using similar maths skills to a well known politician I surmise that there will be 400 extra caravan bays at motorway service areas. This will be achieved by retaining 380 of the existing ones and trying hard not to convert them to charging bays. The remaining 20 new ones will be sited on the hard shoulder on entry slip roads :)

Seriously though it’s almost impossible to predict as seperate from Brexit or no Brexit the wider world economy could knock any politicians plans astray. Already the German car industry is showing a serious sales decline with Daimler cutting 10000 jobs and Audi 9500. Others are expected to follow. The change to electric or hybrid will be accelerated to promote cleaner air in cities which must affect the availability of suitable cars to tow caravans. Which will place caravan makers under pressure.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Dustydog said:
Will they banned?
Will they be taxed more?

I don’t care who gets in. Just trying to readjust as a caravanner who gets in post 12. 12. 2019

I don't think there is any uncertainty about any of these questions. The answer to all is "may be but probably yes"!!! :side:

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
ProfJohnL said:
Dustydog said:
Will they banned?
Will they be taxed more?

I don't think there is any uncertainty about any of these questions. The answer to all is "may be but probably yes"!!! :side:

It's when, ( I don't want to offend the seasonal pitch people ) But I would hate to stay at the same site all the time. We like to see different places , we have our favourite, but to not able to move around with the van would be , unacceptable. . Got to get off this Rant. .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
ProfJohnL said:
Dustydog said:
Will they banned?
Will they be taxed more?

It's when, ( I don't want to offend the seasonal pitch people ) But I would hate to stay at the same site all the time. We like to see different places , we have our favourite, but to not able to move around with the van would be , unacceptable. . Got to get off this Rant. .

Well I for one confronted the choice of going for a seasonal in 2020 or sell up. I do have the hope that we can tour from the seasonal or perhaps restart touring in 2021. But our family come first in our considerations despite the restrictions it may place on us. Supporting the family comes above touring. You are clearly very fortunate to be able to tour virtually at will. Others may not have such flexibility for a number of reasons and don’t deserve to be subject of a rant which does nothing to address Dusty Dogs post.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I didn't really answer Dusty's third point; "Where does this uncertainty leave the caravanner?"

When it comes to political decisions about transport, caravanner are rarely given a high priority, and often come off poorer or disenfrachised as a result. I don't see any realistic likelihood of that situation changing so caravanners will as always have to pick their way through the effects of legislative changes and most likely face increasing costs.

No one is forcing you to caravan it's a matter of your choice, and such choices often do incur additional costs.

I have written several times that the future of caravanning is likely to be significantly different, and you may no longer have the same freedoms of movement you have enjoyed for many years. It's not just caravanners, it's likely to affect all drivers to some extent.

Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
NOTHING will happen for a while; diesel is now actually VERY clean-euro 6 etc and produces lower CO2-they cannot tax it like mad as the uk supply chain depends on it-the changes will be gradual or else the uk won't be able to compete and alternatives will have to appear and be practical! DON'T PANIC!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
JezzerB said:
NOTHING will happen for a while; diesel is now actually VERY clean-euro 6 etc and produces lower CO2-they cannot tax it like mad as the uk supply chain depends on it-the changes will be gradual or else the uk won't be able to compete and alternatives will have to appear and be practical! DON'T PANIC!

How right you are. My local brewery still delivers beer by a dray hauled by two Shire horses and we’ve not disappeared beneath shed loads of horse manure. :)

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
otherclive said:
JezzerB said:

How right you are. My local brewery still delivers beer by a dray hauled by two Shire horses and we’ve not disappeared beneath shed loads of horse manure. :)

OC , are you by any chance near to Scotlands End and the Pear Tree Inn.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
otherclive said:
JezzerB said:

OC , are you by any chance near to Scotlands End and the Pear Tree Inn.

Hutch
Chance would be a fine thing. Unfortunately last week we passed by the Hook Norton on our way to see an elderly relative in Leicestershire ( Even by my aged standards). Our brewery is Wadworths in Devizes.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
otherclive said:
JezzerB said:

Just wait until the supermarkets, florists, greengrocers and the rest go back to horses. Cheap fertiliser for the garden though.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
But you always know when your in the country , I can tell when the grass has been cut, or when Brussel sprouts have been eaten. :sick: .
I am sure for at least the next 10 years, we will be able to caravan as we do now,
But can see an increase in younger folk going for these " Pods" or "YUrt" tents",

A lot of my caravanning time is the going to different places, and the enjoyment of towing my caravan safely.
I love driving, , and would hate to loose this freedom .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
But you always know when your in the country , I can tell when the grass has been cut, or when Brussel sprouts have been eaten. :sick: .
I am sure for at least the next 10 years, we will be able to caravan as we do now,
But can see an increase in younger folk going for these " Pods" or "YUrt" tents",

A lot of my caravanning time is the going to different places, and the enjoyment of towing my caravan safely.

You can still explore without a caravan in tow. In the three years we were out of caravanning we had holidays in cottages and statics in some lovely areas of Britain and Ireland, and long haul drives into Germany, Czech Republic and Poland, plus the northern Spanish areas from Santander to Santiago. Interspersed with short breaks in pubs or guest houses. So as long as you are healthy enough to drive there’s still plenty of smashing places to visit.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
EH52ARH said:
....I am sure for at least the next 10 years, we will be able to caravan as we do now, ... A lot of my caravanning time is the going to different places, and the enjoyment of towing my caravan safely.

As more cities introduce low or ultra low pollution zones , both here in the UK and abroad, it will begin to affect an increasing number of people. For example if Birmingham goes ahead with its scheme, It will affect me becasue my wife has numerous appointments at a central Birmingham hospital, That's going to mean an extra £10 per appointment! and I'm sure other will have similar tales to tell. The expansion of these areas will have a knock on effect in many ways, and it will make caravanners thing twice about where to go and how to get there.

Our freedom to drive anywhere is going to be eroded, and I suspect well within your 10 Year time scale. If /when brexit goes ahead and the UK is effectively put up for sale, you can bet that more foreign companies will be bidding to make road improvements but at the cost of setting tolls.

Reactions: Hutch

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts