Diesel Pumps in France. Trucks vs Cars

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Hi,
we had a bad experience in France last year when we filled up at the usual car diesel pumps, paid and left and came across a 2 foot high chicane to stop lorries getting through!
There was no going back so, despite best efforts, the caravan was slightly damaged (now repaired) so I'm assessing my options for this year's trip. Does anyone know if the diesel in the lorry pumps (which have nice wide drive off areas) is the same standard fuel as that for cars? I've heard mixed things and clearly dont want to put the wrong fuel in the car.
Any help greatly appreciated,
Brian

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
Have often gone to the lorry pumps for just the resons you stated,with no ill effects,often have to have Mrs DD got to the booth to get payment authorised and the fuel comes out much quicker from the nozzle so take care

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
No dirrerenc to the Diesel fuel, At many garages we have been waved to the "Trucks" just because the hoses are longer and you can get the Caravan under the cover. Same fuel.
Hutch.

Oct 8, 2006
Visit site
IME the bends (or a sharp turn with kerbs) are on the pay-at-kiosk pumps. Since moving to use 24hr card pumps I have never have any exit problems as you cannot leave without paying. The pumps often talk to you in English - in part at least.

May 7, 2012
Visit site
We have always used supermarket diesel without any problem. We normally fill up before a long journey as motorway fuel is far more expensive.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
I thought "Red Diesel" was the same as in the UK and fot Agricultural use, and cannot be bought in forecourt stations.
I have seen customs checking cars for fuel changes. But buying fuel in garages, are safe. ???

Jan 7, 2007
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your help. We always leave with a full tank of fuel from the local hypermarket (without caravan), but can't get to the port on a full tank, so have to stop off en route on the toll road services. New car has an 85 litre tank so theoretically could just do it, but I wont take the risk. Hopefully I wont encounter the same problems as last year by using the truck pumps. thanks for the tip about the speed the fuel comes out in!
Cheers, Brian

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
tenpole said:
The OP stated fueling with HGV. I have seen red diesel pumps in Calais but maybe that was just at HGV fuel station only.
I would not go assuming a red diesel pump has red diesel in it. unfortunately there is no one universal system. and there are so many variants of fuels these day..besides i find it very unlikely that a red diesel pump ie red diesel, would be placed in the same area or block of pumps that an HGV would use to fuel up... in fact red pumps and nozzles are used for petrol by at least one large retailer and black orange and blue are used by some for diesel... frankly pretty confusing ..

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I don't know about on the continent, but believe it is an EU standard approach, "Red diesel" is fuel where the Gov't does not charge as much duty, as it is supposed to be restricted to non road activity such as agriculture or dock yards, stationary engines such as pumps and generators. It is stained with a persistent red dye which also has a chemical finger print. If you use red diesel (and your not entitled to) dye it's chemical markers can still be found in your fuel system months after you stopped using it. If your vehicle is inspected and the fuel is tested and traces are found, one of the penalties of using red on the high way, is the holding or even destruction of your vehicle.

Red diesel is not usually available at normal road side fuel stations, not even for HGV's. Because to get to the pump you have to use a public road. It usually supplied direct to the business who is registered for non road usage.

Generally the colour of pumps at roadside fuel stations reflect a companies livery, and not the colour of the fuel it delivers.

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
........red diesel (rebated diesel) is available at some HGV fuel forecourts in the UK and is for use in diesel powered generators (reefers) that provide the electricity for refrigerated trucks or trailers. These generators have a separate fuel tank.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
SOme newer dieselUK cars have anti mis fuelling devices in the filler neck which will will not accept the larger HGV nozzle. In France particularly I try to use 24/24 pumps which generally have a clear exit route. Pumps usually recognise UK credit care and show instructions in English

Apr 3, 2010
Visit site
I tried to fill the car at the truck pump in France last year and was refused service - they wouldn't turn the pump on. Had to back out and go round to the car pumps. I also use the automated (card only) pumps to avoid the chicane exit. Beware using prepaid cards (FX etc) as these won't be accepted and then Fx block the card till you phone to unblock. I have ditched the Fx card because of this. Now only use Halifax clarity ( no overseas charges)

Nov 6, 2006
Visit site
Last year I came across a diesel filler nozzle that was larger than normal, in fact too large to fit the car, so intended purely for trucks.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
The reason some cards may get blocked is that when you put card and PINetc. in at the start of the transaction, the card is actually debeited with the price per litre multiplied by the maximum delivery - usually 99 litres and if your card does not have sufficient to meet this amount it will be declined. This happened to me a couple of times when I was trying to run down a cash card before the ferry.

The pump ( or control unit) then recalculates the actual amount due when you've finished fueling and this is the amount you see and actually pay. I think the idea is to penalise anyone who fills and drives off without paying

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
A couple of times the sales assistant has refused to authorize the pump when on the HGV ones.
They are much quicker and are more prone to spill out of the filler tube when the nozzle cuts off.
The nozzle is much bigger on a HGV high speed pump so you might find it much tighter in the filler need, this coupled with a much heavier hose males life hard work.

Jun 19, 2016
Visit site
Red diesel is also available on some normal forecourts in the uk the texaco in Bangor North Wales has a red pump in the middle of the normal ones, marked for agricultural use only.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts