different number plates

Apr 6, 2008
Visit site
Monday-Friday my job takes up and down the M6 and M62 around Liverpool and Manchester and the times I see cars,4x4`s and vans towing caravans and the number plate is not the same as the tow vehicle,I know that alot of caravans get stolen during the day and wondered whether the police would bother if I was to ring them and tell the registration of the caravans that I see that are different from the towing vehicle.

Aug 12, 2005
Visit site
Like Roy, my husband is on the road a lot most days and he says that what he sees mostly are things like tractors towing trailers with mis-matching plates or usually no plates, horse boxes with mis-matched plates and even council vehicles. He says that caravanners are rarely a problem in this respect.

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
in the event of an accident ,would it make there insurance null in void ,for not complying with the road traffic act ,i tow with 2 different vehicles ,and i have a spare plate for each car i just attach the plate to the existing plate with cable ties takes a minit

Mar 25, 2008
Visit site
Yes John I am aware but with far mor serious things going on it's just a little bit pickie. Sometimes you see trailers being towed with two plates which one do you book if it's speeding.

Andrew.

KnL

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't ring in on every occasion as you rarely see a Traffic cop out on the motorway network any more, but you might get lucky and have one in the area.

If it looks to you like a genuine family heading off on holiday, it probably wouldn't be worth the effort, but if something more got your suspicions raised that it could be a stolen van, different story.

We have towed overnight from Durham to Cornwall & Devon for many years and regularly saw Traffic patrols. The last few years however, we never once saw anything other than the powerless Highways Agency Patrols.

Last year PC printed a letter explaining that since the HA took over the "policing" of the major roads, that some individual Chief Officers saw an opportunity to bolster visible patrols in areas where crime & disorder figures were highest, sometimes resulting in Traffic cops patrolling housing estates to deter criminal damage and hooliganism or industrial estates for burglars.

I suppose this is good if you are unfortunate enough to live in an estate so blighted or if you have a factory that is continually being targeted, but it doesn't help road safety.

From reading some of the earlier comments, the Police are damned if they do prosecute and damned if they don't.

A decent cop should be able to discern between a genuine oversight or a deliberate disregard, however the offence is easily avoided, even if for a genuine reason, you may not have a spare number plate, it's just a matter of removing the rear plate from the towing vehicle and affixing it to the caravan/trailer for the duration of the journey.

Agricultural tractors etc are exempt from the legislation under certain conditions.

Having no number plate would not normally void your insurance.

Ken.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Yes John I am aware but with far mor serious things going on it's just a little bit pickie. Sometimes you see trailers being towed with two plates which one do you book if it's speeding.

Andrew.
Andrew why is is it picky?

An offence has been committed,

If you don't play by the rules don't be surprised if the umpires penalise you.

What make you think you are exempt from the law?

Mar 4, 2007
Visit site
I too, travel the motorways regularly. Twice now I have seen caravans with the mains lead plugged into the locker and the other end in through the nearest side window.

This is not the way to travel with a van, so I have , on each occasion phoned hands free, of course, the police who have dealt with the phone call very well and tell me they are dealing with it.

I have never had any call back from the police, so I assume the caes have been dealt with.

Sep 30, 2006
Visit site
On holiday in Devon some years ago, I looked out at the van and car on the pitch behind us and noticed the car and van's registration didn't match. If I remember, two digits were reversed. I mentioned it to my wife and we thought no more about it. Later that day my wife said "That car & van's reg are the same now"...! I agreed but noticed the car was parked the other way... the car's reg was different front and back! That was a first for me.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts