Dilemma. Home or not?

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
We are currently in Lagos, Portugal having cancelled our stay in Spain.
According to the News, Lagos in one of the safest, relatively Covid free, places in Europe.

We are booked to return to UK via Brittany Ferries on 1st November.

We are SO tempted just to stay here. If we return to UK we will have to quarantine for 14 days (not a problem as we have prepared for that) and will still be unable to visit my 97yr old mother in law in her care home, may well not be able to see our children and grandchildren who live in lock down areas.

The weather here is good, food and wine are cheap, people are sensible and very Covid aware.... and we can avoid/close our ears to all the thoroughly depressing "argy bargy" of UK politics.

Decisions, decisions!

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
We are currently in Lagos, Portugal having cancelled our stay in Spain.
According to the News, Lagos in one of the safest, relatively Covid free, places in Europe.

We are booked to return to UK via Brittany Ferries on 1st November.

We are SO tempted just to stay here. If we return to UK we will have to quarantine for 14 days (not a problem as we have prepared for that) and will still be unable to visit my 97yr old mother in law in her care home, may well not be able to see our children and grandchildren who live in lock down areas.

The weather here is good, food and wine are cheap, people are sensible and very Covid aware.... and we can avoid/close our ears to all the thoroughly depressing "argy bargy" of UK politics.

Decisions, decisions!

We are looking to travel through France, Spain & into Portugal in a few weeks time.. Trust me the situation here is not improving. We live just outside Sheffield, in Derbyshire Sheffield, I feel, will soon be 'locked down'. The problem is not just the UK government, but the lack of care by the general public and the influx of students. If I were you I would stay away. Following our official departure from the EU next year it may not be so easy, so enjoy while you can....we intend too. If you stay away let me know & we would be happy to meet up for a glass or two

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
We may well hold you to that! We are staying at Turiscampo.
Portugal is a world away from UK issues. Totally recommended!
Main worry is our house and pending building works.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
I understand and, in the past, have rushed back for: 1. Divorce, 2. Lockdown and 3. House , building/potential sale issues. On reflection, we would have stayed (in a village inland of Torrevieja). The Spanish, as most of Europe, take regulations seriously & enforce them. If you don't agree leave, if you do behave...simple. In the UK so many mixed messages due to political ambitions. The UK is becoming a laughing stock and, quite frankly, financially unstable. So, my recommendation would be to enjoy Europe while you can. We will be forbidden to travel before too long as the UK can not afford us to spend in Europe. If you feel like a chat/meeting in Europe let me know & I'll let you have an email address. Good luck

Reactions: PTA
Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi again. Just a question, I assume you are in Praia da Luz. Can you give me an idea of how much Mobile Home parking is per night with/without electricity?

Thanks Nick & Julie

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
I can see you share my views!

Being British here is downright embarrassing!

We read the foreign newspapers, including the "Washington Post." They are both disbelieving AND scornful of our country. Tragic!

BTW None of the above is "political." It's simply verifiable fact.

Were it not for family commitments we would move here tomorrow.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We may well hold you to that! We are staying at Turiscampo.
Portugal is a world away from UK issues. Totally recommended!
Main worry is our house and pending building works.
Haven"t you got someone a friend of the family or a neighbour to keep and i on your house and pending building works could be delayed until you come home

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
I can see you share my views!

Being British here is downright embarrassing!

We read the foreign newspapers, including the "Washington Post." They are both disbelieving AND scornful of our country. Tragic!

BTW None of the above is "political." It's simply verifiable fact.

Were it not for family commitments we would move here tomorrow.

Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
I agree with Beachball. Just found your site....wow. You only live once!!!. It won't ] be so easy next year. Bear in mind you can only have 6 at the table for Christmas dinner. Surely relatives could visit you in Portugal

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Hi again. Just a question, I assume you are in Praia da Luz. Can you give me an idea of how much Mobile Home parking is per night with/without electricity?

Thanks Nick & Julie
So many permutations depending on fully serviced or not, length of stay, season etc
If you go to Turiscampo website that will help. Not cheap but worth every penny IMHO.
Priai da Luz is about a mile away. Lagos approx 4 miles. Superb beach at Meia Priai for walking and cobweb blowing!
Let us know your plans.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2020
Visit site
Hi again. We are leaving the UK, if they will let us, in early November. We have a small Motorhome so can travel reasonably quickly, but don't use the dreaded toll routes as far too expensive. We have a credit with Eurotunnel until 2021 so it would be rude not to use it !. We will travel through France and Spain into Portugal. Be really good to meet for a glass or two and we will keep in touch. Beachball...it would be even better if you could join us. Clearly we all share the same view so I think we would have plenty to talk about
Thanks again for the 'heads-up' on the site. I found the website and the place looks stunning, but if you fancy 9 degrees temp in the day England is the place to be - lol

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Just checked. Approx 170 Euros per week.
Book ahead. Plenty of snowbirds. Mainly German and French. Few Brits.

PS Don't look at the £/ Euro exchange rate!

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I can only surmise that the Washington Post et al arent keeping abreast of events in their home country, or France, Poland, Netherlands or even Spain. Whilst Italys rate is climbing again. Germany seems to be performing the best although reading De Spiegel things aren’t exactly smooth there.

While I’m the first to admit that the United Kingdom is less than united in its approach and England’s government haven’t really managed things too well post lockdown, especially their communications. What I’ve not seen are any counter proposals that will genuinely ensure a reduction in infections: whilst helping the economy, health or education.

Ideas on a post card please, other than expecting the population to accept responsibility for adherence to guidelines.

Reactions: RogerL

PTA

Mar 5, 2020
Visit site
Suffice to say that foreign newspapers' derision and disbelief are not simply about our approach to Covid.
The economic pages are particularly interesting!
(The Washington Post is, quite rightly, totally scathing about the US situation...as are Der Spiegel, Le Figaro, Le Monde and most European papers).

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Visit site
If you can stay and the area is safer than here then possibly that is the best bet assuming you have or can get insurance. What others think does not worry me, they are all going their own way and most having major problems often worse than ours. Being scathing about others probably helps deflect public attention from their own situation.

TRENDING THREADS