Disappearing threads

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Late yesterday I returned to the forum to review how a particularly difficult but important thread was progressing. All trace of it seems to have disappeared.

I can understand how the content seemed to be moving towards contravening naming and shaming a seller, but as far as I recall no one had not so far been named. Obviously there may well have been activity on the thread whilst I was away which might have crossed the line, but I do wonder if the removal of the whole thread was really necessary rather than just moderasting any comments which might have been too close to the edge. There were some important safety and legal points about what to do under the circumstances.

I appreciate the moderators sometimes have a difficult task monitoring the whole forum as the responsibility is not a professional occupation, but sometimes it seems the sword of Damocles is used when perhaps the legitimate public interest might be better served by a more judicious pruning.

However if a whole thread has to be removed, it would be incredibly helpful for the moderator(s) to leave message under the threads title as to the fact the has been action taken, and if reasonable to explain why.

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I deleted the thread that I think you are referring to.

The reason being that the OP had chosen to delete his entries with the comments 'had enough'. Not sure entirely what he meant by that. Trouble is that when his original posts are deleted, those that are quoted in replies are not deleted.

Since the OP didn't appear to want any further interaction, it seemed appropriate to delete the whole thread to stop further replies being sent to him. There is the option to stop subscribing to a thread but I have no indication if they had done this.

Maybe there were legal reasons, I don't know....but it seemed safer to just delete the thread.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
He purchased from a named Dealer. Had a fire , overheated the engine , had a crash, kids screaming , wife probably very upset and still he continued repairing the car. His Insurers have been told and I dare say he received some very sound intelligent advice on everything which clearly has a future benefit to others. Always a shame when things end in tears😥😥

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, I don't think he liked the advice given to him by us? I like to think our advice was correct and spot on.
I suspect that as it did not align with what the insurance told him, it could have put him in a difficult quandary. After all some were particularly forceful and the OP had had some very stressful events in a short time. I just hope he gets a suitable settlement from the caravan insurers.

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
To be honest, I don't think he liked the advice given to him by us? I like to think our advice was correct and spot on.
I tink you are correct.
But as he was youngster to caravanning , with a major claim. I would go with the Insurance companys. Advice.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I tink you are correct.
But as a youngster to caravanning , with a major claim. I would go with the Insure company.
There is no question of doubt in my mind there are two very separate issues , well covered in the excellent advice given.
The insurance if covered for the fire damage?
Under CRA a full rejection and refund of money plus potential for some recompense for all the upset hassle shock etc etc.
I am confident Which ?Legal would have echoed all the Forumites advice 😎😎

Reactions: Buckman
Jan 19, 2002
Visit site
Didn’t know the forum permitted openly criticising named dealerships whatever the circumstances. However the poster had a very narrow escape so I hope he can get the caravan sorted one way or another.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Didn’t know the forum permitted openly criticising named dealerships whatever the circumstances. However the poster had a very narrow escape so I hope he can get the caravan sorted one way or another.
The forum doesn’t allow criticism of named businesses.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
From memory the OP mentioned the Dealer from where he purchased but made no bad comments or criticism. In fact the Dealer concerned has a life long good reputation starting in 1930. I’d be very surprised if this Dealer once aware of the event didn’t sort it out fairly ,quickly and very amicably.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
However wasn't the supplier name mentioned but I don't think the supplier was critised by the OP of the other thread?
I’m just stating the facts wrt Forum rules, no judgement offered on OP posts,

But from memory there were some posts from others that seemed to link the dealer with poor service.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
Just to reiterate Sam’s comment. The OP deleted his own posts but of course could not delete the posts of others. This rendered the thread nonsensical and so Sam deleted it. It was not deleted because rules were broken. The reasons for the OP deleting were his own.
Mel

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts