Disco 3 or keep passat ?

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys
I have been thinking about trading our 2006 VW Passat 2.0tdi for a 2005 Land Rover Discovery TDV6, its got 80k on the clock but its full service history and one owner from new, Our Passat has only got 46k on the clock and also full service history.

I took the Disco out for a drive and have fallen for it big time, i just to know what other people think of them and what to look out for. should i keep the passat or go with the disco??

By the way we tow a Swift Challenger 560 which is 1500kg and over the 85% for the passat but still tows no problem.

John

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
From what ive seen of Disco 3,i wouldnt want one around me.Mortgage to buy one,then another mortgage to repair it.No thanks.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Hi Seth
The vehicle in question was traded into the garage where i work i could have had it for 10k,the other half and myself sat and thought about it and decided against it, fuel economy played a big part in that decision i must admit, it has now been bought by a trader who has it on there website for 15k, He stands to make a tidy profit. i think i might wait for a Freelander to come along. Until then i am happy with the Passat.

John

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I personally don't see the point in changing a tow vehicle if the one you have meets your needs and performs perfectly well.

"If it ain't broke don't fix it" (sic) seems a good approach here.

There are invariably additional costs when you change a vehicle. with a new car things like Towbar and electrics. And with secondhand, there is its uncertain history, reliability and service costs.

When it comes to choosing a tow car, then there are certain cars that simply won't do because of the size of caravan you have, but of the rest, they all have different attributes, and it is then down to your own personal preferences.

I suggest you make two lists the first is what YOU want, and then the second is what you NEED need. That should help to clarify your search criteria. You could also do a SWOT analysis, try to avoid letting year heart rule your head in these matters.

There is no such thing as the "best tow car", otherwise every one would be using it, so the diversity we see on our roads shows that what might be the best compromise for one caravanner will not be the same for others. Consequently, when asking for opinions about A vs B bear in mind that your criteria for a tow car will be different to other peoples.

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Hi john
Like it or not the JD Power Survey ranks the Landies at the bottom of the pile.
Look to Germany or the Pacific rim for a decent 4x4

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
You might want to revise you posting when you see the latest results Dusty, but I would be wary of the Discovery 3.
smiley-wink.gif

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I have to side with John on this,hit the nail on the head.I would recommend to stay with the tow car you have which is a fine car and well respected,or buy a new LR with a decent warranty.It seems to be the bit inbetween that causes the problems.By this i mean at least with a new vehicle its covered and wont or shouldnt affect your pocket if it develops problems.Or stick with older technology without the electronics.Even so i,d be weary of LR D3,i set my heart on one but from what ive seen i wouldnt take a chance.How about a sorento?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
seth said:
I have to side with John on this,hit the nail on the head.I would recommend to stay with the tow car you have which is a fine car and well respected,or buy a new LR with a decent warranty.It seems to be the bit inbetween that causes the problems.By this i mean at least with a new vehicle its covered and wont or shouldnt affect your pocket if it develops problems.Or stick with older technology without the electronics.Even so i,d be weary of LR D3,i set my heart on one but from what ive seen i wouldnt take a chance.How about a sorento?

Seth forgets that when buying a new car the biggest hit to your bank account is the depreciation, which is okay if you can afford to keep the new car for about 10 years, but that means 7 years without warranty cover if you were to buy a new Land Rover...ouch!

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
No seth doesnt forget about the depreciation,but i,d rather have that than a 10k bill for a new engine plus all the upset if it did happen that is..And 10k is on the modest side because i know for a fact a used D3 engine retails at 5k.But even so there are better ways to finance buying a vehicle.

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
seth said:
No seth doesnt forget about the depreciation,but i,d rather have that than a 10k bill for a new engine plus all the upset if it did happen that is..And 10k is on the modest side because i know for a fact a used D3 engine retails at 5k.But even so there are better ways to finance buying a vehicle.

I have since been told that a transfer box is 2k+ if it goes wrong and a good LR warrentee will cos a grand a year, MPG is the biggest killer though as the best you could expect is 30mpg and i would hazard a guess at 18 or less with the caravan on the back.
the best thing about the one i looked at was the fact it was only £270 a year road tax, the newer ones are 400 and something and if you go for the 4.4ltr its £700 a year. all in all i think i will stay with my passat at least until i win the lotto then i might go the for the Range Rover Rooney Haha.
I have looked at the older Sorento, a friend at work has one and he said he has had to weld the rear chassis members up on his and his dads and his brothers, Also a friend of the wifes said hers rotted away on the back end, seems that the Sorento could also cost you dearly.
John

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Yea sounds like Kia are trying to do something about the problem with the rear end, My mate did the welding etc his self recons the rear end is now better than Original.
I wonder what happens at the Dealer if say you take a 10 year old car to them and they find it needs welding, will they weld it up free of charge or will they say sorry your on your own, It could be a way of getting customers into the Kia dealers and the Dealer to make some money out of them in the form of welding hence no Recall.
Maybe i will keep my eye open for a half decent Sorento,
I bought an old Shogun a few years back short wheel 1995 2.5 td i spent a fortune in welding, but i could go out in any weather and it started on the button everytime and it was so much fun in the snow or mud.

John

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had 2 Discovery 3's both excellent, both to drive solo and when towing. We towed a heavy van which it coped with, with ease and returned 22/24 to the gallon. The one downside was they both had problems with air the conditioning. Ian

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts