Discovery 4 - Towcar of the Year 2010

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
LR Discovery 4 has been voted What Car Towcar of the year 2010, yet another award for this most excellent, if a little large for some, work horse.

I've been driving a D3 for three years now and quite honestly find it hard to see just what they could improve - my D3 has been wholly reliable and a complete joy to own, it has retained over 70% of it's value since new but still I just can't risk it out of warranty so time for a change, probably to D4, if I can get one .........

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I always their comments are very biased .Read the section about practicality ref the E class and then they give it a 3???

They should compare model specs ie a S line Q7 = a LR HSE so the comment of pricey is not a fair comaprison.

The Santa fe is the true winner as its haf the price?

I have a copy of Glass's guide in my hand and the best D3 is only 48%,prices slightly dropped with the release of the LR D4

I think you need to quote figures to say you have a residual of 70% of the value of the car,that may be the price on the forecourt thats not what your car is worth trade

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
What car have always been very biased towards landrovers. I remember following the freelander2 they had on long-term test, and it had a mysterious electrical fault which kept it off the road for several weeks but they still kept giving it high scores.

I'm NOT saying that the landrovers are bad cars - far from it. I've just heard too many bad stories to make me prepared to run one on my own money - especially with a caravanning hobby - I've been stranded once on site and never want to be again!

Sep 15, 2006
Visit site
PS. Gordon's 70% claim may not be so wide of the mark, but its probably to retail price and has been caused by the drop in the pound. The pound has so far dropped about a quarter, so used prices are at a high.

The low pound means that quite a number of used cars are being exported. And replacement new cars are going up in price - especially imported ones. The scrappage was used as quite a good camoflage for the underlying prices rising.

I see that the retail price of the 4x4 I bought at 11 months old (now 3.5 years old) has dropped by only 10-15% or so.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The price rise in used 4x4's was helped because of the bad winter and all of a sudden everyone wants a 4 x 4 so demand is high.Coupled with a cut back in production when demand was low.

Demand will drop if we have a few mild winters as with fuel cost and high tax etc people dont see the need for them.

This was all 4 x 4s.

Of course a Sante Fe wont be worth as much as a LR is after 3 years but its retained value is 45% (LR 48%)

Up to you if you think losing

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Gordon was your XS leather?Did you sell privately?

What do you have now if you have sold the car?

I do like your comment that you cant risk the LR out of warranty?

At least you get 7 years with the Santa Fe unlimited milage too,they dont mentioned that?

Thats 7 years trouble free motoring!

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi, yes the D3 was leather and I sold to a dealer pal, who had a buyer lined up, nice and easy! Guess I just bought and sold at the right times, for a change.

We're using my wife's XTrail for towing (very poor in comparison to the D3) and I'm lucky I get to use a company pool car until I find my next car, which will probably be a new D4. I'm perhaps fortunate in that I work hard and can afford to indulge myself from time to time, personally I'd choose to 'lose' more on a vehicle that I really want to own rather than go the dull sensible option every time, but, hey-ho, each to their own.

Re the warranty I wouldn't risk running anything modern and complex without one regradless of make / model. It doesn't tale long to tack up a 4 figure bill these days and the extenede warranty on the D3 was

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi, yes the D3 was leather and I sold to a dealer pal, who had a buyer lined up, nice and easy! Guess I just bought and sold at the right times, for a change.

We're using my wife's XTrail for towing (very poor in comparison to the D3) and I'm lucky I get to use a company pool car until I find my next car, which will probably be a new D4. I'm perhaps fortunate in that I work hard and can afford to indulge myself from time to time, personally I'd choose to 'lose' more on a vehicle that I really want to own rather than go the dull sensible option every time, but, hey-ho, each to their own.

Re the warranty I wouldn't risk running anything modern and complex without one regradless of make / model. It doesn't tale long to tack up a 4 figure bill these days and the extenede warranty on the D3 was

Feb 3, 2009
Visit site
Gordon - I went from a 3 to a 4 and it is a truly different car in terms of the way it drives and interior build quality. Acceleration is in a different league altogether.

Carwyn

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
To be honest, I think the article was being cautious. The D3 was a truly awesome machine for us. We had the V8 as well which was lovely, if a tad thirsty.

We love going up into the hills, greenlaning and walking as well as caravanning and a lot of it is to support my love of photography. The D3 never let me down, went everywhere I asked it to, carried everything we could fit in it, pulled the van like a boster and the depreciation over 2 years was the princely sum of

Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
The 3 lt has much improved things overall and acceleration is much better than the 2.7,if you were impressed then you would be very impressed with the Audi,Merc and BMW 3 lt diesels acceration?

The BMW 3.0 is now under the 200 Co2 mark

May 26, 2009
Visit site
For some of us its not all about the cost, a Discovery may be twice the price of a Santa Fe (in fact I am pleased its twice the price)anyway I know what I would rather have, Discovey all the way even at three times the price of a Sanat Fe.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
If money is no object, why on earth would settle for anything short than the best?

While the dis may be a decent car, if and when the reliability is sorted, a rr sport is obviously a superior car, in every respect?

Jul 3, 2006
Visit site
We do actually keep our cars for 6-7 years, repairing a car out of warranty can be expensive if your'e unlucky but usually still cheaper than the depreciation on a new model, Our S-max has cost us about

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I test drove the new Discovery 4 and whilst a good car it felt large and cumbersome and sluggish,they should drop the Sport name on the Range Rover as in diesel form it is just not sporty.

I chose the BMW X5 which i picked up on the 9th of June,its is very very quick tows superbly has anti sway built in, drives like a car with no noise from wind or the engine at all which sadly cant be said about about the Discovery.

The best thing is the

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
If money is no object, why on earth would settle for anything short than the best?

While the dis may be a decent car, if and when the reliability is sorted, a rr sport is obviously a superior car, in every respect?
If you happen to be a footballer's wife, sure. Underneath it's on exactly the same T5 platform as Discovery. Different bodyshell and less seats, that's all.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi Tom, I agree the discovery is a big Car and not as Car like to drive like the X5, my main reason for having it is we have to fit in me my Husband 3 Children and often one or both the Grandparents. As said the X5 is a very capable Vehicle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts