Discovery 4 - Towcar of the Year 2010

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Hello again

Yes i would agree the seats are for occasional use i did think ahead,when the time comes to sell hopefully it will be more desirable with 7 seats.

I chose the M Sport,i liked the chunky looks more than the SE,I didnt really add much else,media pack,heated seats,folding mirrors, better air con,powered tail gate and the tow bar of course.

The new model seems better equiped than X5's of old and better choice of trims now too.

It wont get me across the Alps but will get me and my van off a muddy field,if it doesnt then some-one in a Discovery will LOL

Sep 19, 2007
Visit site
Back to the title of the post, what is the criteria for being in TCOTY? I thought it had to be a new model that year. If that's the case, how come the article says the LR Discovery has won 3 out of the last 4 years?

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The defending champ came come back the next to defend its title,LR didnt win last year so brought a new model out to have another go

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Look on the net today, their for all to see LR most unreliable Manufacturer, usual 3 top again, glad l stayed with the Shogun.

Heethers

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
" RAY

27 Jun 2010 06:20 PM If money is no object, why on earth would settle for anything short than the best?

While the dis may be a decent car, if and when the reliability is sorted, a rr sport is obviously a superior car, in every respect?"

The range rover sport is actually a discovery in every respect apart from looks. it is built on the discovery chassis and uses the same running gear, it is lighter because of the smaller body hence the slightly improved performance.

i know which one i would go for ! if your buying a vehicle such as this to tow then size does matter.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
this car of the year thing seems a bit pointless really, i mean they have given honda top spot then continue to say honda suffer the highest failure rate for airconditioning with 10 % of cars suffering failure, then the number 2 car "subaru" who suffer 50 % axle failures ?. landrover discovery becomes car of the year in one " respected" magazine but is slated as the worst car in another "respected" magazine.

i think i will stick to making up my own mind, i mean if we all followed the advice of the people "who know" we would all have toyota hybrids and potentially have no brakes.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Michael - my thoughts exactly. the RR Sport is nothing more than a Discovery with less seats and less room. The only place it can score is if you went for the TDV8 diesel which is not an option on the D4 (real shame that one)

Anyway, Range Rovers are not sports cars. A RR sport is something like a Lorry GTI. Pointless. There really is only one Range Rover and it is the Full-Fat L322 variant. Whilst this is a great towcar even this doesn't have the room inside like a Discovery does.

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Michael - my thoughts exactly. the RR Sport is nothing more than a Discovery with less seats and less room. The only place it can score is if you went for the TDV8 diesel which is not an option on the D4 (real shame that one)

Anyway, Range Rovers are not sports cars. A RR sport is something like a Lorry GTI. Pointless. There really is only one Range Rover and it is the Full-Fat L322 variant. Whilst this is a great towcar even this doesn't have the room inside like a Discovery does.
EDIT. Should be Icemaker, not Michael. Clearly need more coffee :)

Jan 22, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

As a very happy RRsport owner, if you don't need 7 seats (who really does?)or the extra room a disco provides, then whats wrong with it???

Landrover give you the option, you choose what suits you.

Mar 10, 2006
Visit site
The dis does not look in the same league as the RR sport, the RR car may not be as practical, but it looks absolutely fabulous, while the dis looks very plain jane, boring.

Just my opinion

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
I regret buying my RR sport, unreliable and a when I see the some of the people that have them and there reasons for having one, it makes me cringe that I own one.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
In the 2.7 guise it was definatly not a sports model,3.0 better but still lags behind the X5 or even the X6 which is very sporty.

Mar 30, 2007
Visit site
At the end of the day you pays your money and makes your choice. I have towed with a Vectra, several Galaxys, a Citreon c8, a Discovery 3 and now a Discovery 4 and it is by far the best car and tow car I have ever had. Sporty, depends on what you mean, it is not as quick as a two seater sports car but it will ot perform most other 4x4 both in acceleration, top speed and conrnering. It will also go anywhere in virtually any conditions. During the snow at the start of the yearI pulled a car stuck on its chassis on a mud bank with both front wheels in the air, when I got out of my Discovery 4 I could not stand up and the car D4 started to slid down the gradient even in park and with the hand brake on, but I still managed to get traction to recover the other car.

My choice all the time I can afford one will be a discovery, it may not be as quick as your BMW but it will go anywhere.

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
I must say it has often made me giggle when i read how many people think that a car with a sport badge must be a fast car !. is all motor sport about speed ? hmmm no.

cross country rallying is a "sport" that the rr would be superb at, your bmw or merc would not.

hill climbing is a "sport" that the rr would be good at, your bmw or merc would not.

tractor pulling is a "sport" that a rr would be relatively confident at, your bmw or merc would just sit on the spot spinning its wheels.

turn up at the races in a range rover or land rover and you will be respected, turn up in a bmw or a merc and !!!!!!!.

I know the last comment could be seen as a bit sarcastic but you must remember Jeremy clarckson test driving the bmw and "dressing" like a bmw driver to complete the "image". very funny and very relevant!.

Nov 4, 2004
Visit site
The Range Rover Sport was made to temp younger couples who had children out of their sports coupe's into some else.

Yes agree it does depend how you define "sport",but its how people associate the words on the back of a car,ie Gt1,Vti is regarded as the sportier versions of that model.

Also agreed that Clarkson does slate BMW's but wasnt too complementry of the new Range Rover this week.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
Oh Pleeeese dont quote Clarkson as a serious journalist-hes an entertainer !(brill though)My view is that Practical Caravan should look at the purchase of a towcar through the eyes of a average caravanner 85% of workers in this country earn less than

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
I think the audi Q7's a superior car to the discovery, I now have a range rover TDV8 but loved my Q7, I'v not driven the Discovery 4 but I found the Discovery 3 to have a bit of a cheap interior and I'm not overly keen on the styling compared to the range rover or range rover sport, the discovery looks far too van like for me and is fairly unsettled in corners. Im not saying the discoverys a bad car but land rover have put it slightly overpriced in my eyes, I also didnt find the discoverys rear seats very easy to access the Q7s were far easier to get into

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
jmg12

You really do need to have a look at the Discovery 4 then. Although it looks like the 3, they really are different cars. Having driven all of the cars you mention (albeit the RR TDV8 was in 2007) and still remains the most memorable vehicle I have towed with for its performance and quietness, the Discovery 4 runs it a very close second, and is far, far more practical.

Internally, again the 3 and the 4 are worlds apart. Driving the RR Sport this year made me realise how cramped they are. The Q7 is not in the same league either in most respects. Something that was quite obviously the judges opinions too. I've never liked the Q7, as it's far too "in your face" externally, and nothing more than an A6 inside (not necessarily a bad thing).

I think you should have a look at the 4. You'll be very surprised. I was.

Nigel

Jul 28, 2008
Visit site
With regards to the performance, the Discovery 4 was as least as quick as the Q7 that was tested, if that kind of thing is so important.

Brent,

One of the problems with the car of the year type events is that of course expensive metal SHOULD be good, and it is appreciated that we're not all fortunate enough to be able to afford (or be handed) such a car - me included! However, I understand that there is always a debate over the winners (class and overall), and in the past value has played a big part when there have been several vehicles vying for the crown, hence the Passat, Mondeo, etc. However, apparently this year, it would have been a total mockery not to have awarded the Discovery 4 the crown despite its price. It was just so far ahead of anything else that was tested (apart from the RR Sport). Land Rover should be applauded for putting in so much effort into that car.

I am in no way connected to Land Rover, other than being fortunate enough to have driven lots of vehicles (including X5's Q7's Q5's, ML's together with a whole host of the smaller ones), and the really outstanding one at the moment is the Discovery 4. It's thrown down the gauntlet to the other manufacturers, which can only be a good thing for us caravanners.

Apr 11, 2006
Visit site
I will need to go and have a look at the discovery 4 then, there was one in my local land rover dealer when I got my range rover at the beginning of june. Certainly they have made a massive improvement to the range rover with the new facelift, I previously looked at the range rover back in 2006 when I bought the audi Q7 but I felt that the I couldnt justify spending the extra as it didnt feel as well screwed together as the Audi. However with the new TDV8 engine and the interior quality and ride massively improved I knew the range rover was the car I wanted. I also looked at the discovery and range rover sport back in 2006 and I wasnt particularly keen on either, the range rover sport has come a long way in terms of interior quality which I felt was a bit cheap before and had too many buttons and switches all over the place. Before the Q7 I had a 2003 BMW X5 which I still think is the best 4x4 on the road if sometimes a bit harsh on rougher road surfaces, The range rover seems the best compromise as even my wife likes driving it and she usually hates 4x4s and prefers to stick with her E class cabriolet

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts