Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
at long last i have opted for a discovery as a towcar for our abbey 214 gts..the CC have informed me via the info line that it is a 49% match and no problems should arise..in fact she had a little laugh when she told me and said "all you have to do is remember the van is there!!" So fingers crossed all will be well and i am now actually looking forward to my first tow with the car in 4 weeks time!!

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello mark,

dont know which discovery you have, we have the discovery 3, current one 3months old, and our previous car was also the discovery 3, we love them, and the lady is correct, you do have to keep in mind the white box on the back of the vehicle, as it still drives the same, obviosly we drive differently, and do take care, but apparently we could pull 2 caravans, (only joking though), weve been as far as skye with the van on the back, so you can imagine the ups and downs of the road network, its good to know that the car can cope with it, ours so far has not let us down, happy towing with yours, regards ED

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
hello mark,

dont know which discovery you have, we have the discovery 3, current one 3months old, and our previous car was also the discovery 3, we love them, and the lady is correct, you do have to keep in mind the white box on the back of the vehicle, as it still drives the same, obviosly we drive differently, and do take care, but apparently we could pull 2 caravans, (only joking though), weve been as far as skye with the van on the back, so you can imagine the ups and downs of the road network, its good to know that the car can cope with it, ours so far has not let us down, happy towing with yours, regards ED
i have to admit i very nearly did'nt get the discovery after reading all the comments about the unreliability etc etc..but so far i am glad that i did opt for one.I do have to keep remembering though that it is a 4x4 and that it is actually a car i am driving and not a delivery van!!

At the minute i feel like a kid waiting for christmas to come,waiting for the day when i actually hitch up and head off (only to wales on first outing tho!!)

Jan 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

We've just changed our tow vehicle to a discovery 3 and think its absolutley fantastic, both as a solo drive and towing. We took the van (6 berth) up to the Lake District for the bank hol weekend, it didn't even feel like we were towing!!! Enjoy your trip away.

Aug 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

We've just changed our tow vehicle to a discovery 3 and think its absolutley fantastic, both as a solo drive and towing. We took the van (6 berth) up to the Lake District for the bank hol weekend, it didn't even feel like we were towing!!! Enjoy your trip away.
thanks sara....getting more and more positive feeling now with some firm recomendations for the Discovery...

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
You might want to read the in-depth review of the Discovery 3 in the September edition of Which Caravan magazine. Very positive review, and very informative.

Good luck with yours,

Lois

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Land Rover have run some very slick ad campaigns and signed horsy uber Royal Zara P to advertise there wares, the posts here bathe the disco 3 in a golden glow.

I don't wish to offend the posters above, but can I ask if they are for real. ie regular members of the forum or could they be part of the LR propaganda machinery?

Past experience of LR products from Defenders to Range Rover and earlier Disco's have been nightmarish.

Disco 3 was a new animal and we fell in to the LR propaganda trap. Well yes Disco 3 can do off road well! Well even better than most!

But then you have the sickly software that controls suspension. Plus thirst for fuel along with not to healthy performance. Not sure what others drive but the old Disco 3 is a bit of a slug and has house brick profile and looks.

Combine the purchase cost with the running costs, add in the suspension problems. Then the oil leaks, haphazard hand brake problem and ghastly gearbox issues and non starting.

One What Car reviewer even says 'Reliability is the problem, you always have that feeling it may not get to the end of the journey - warning lights are always flashing.

It's just too technical - it's the first vehicle in 45 years that I could not service, the handbook is useless. It cannot be fixed without a lap-top - ridiculous for such a good off-roader'

I can't agree with the good off roader comment as for me a good off roader has to be reliable and in my experience and far to many others I've met that is just a far off dream for to many owners.

Before getting sucked in by Discomania, try reading owners reviews such as What Car and check out the service area of your dealer for the disgruntled owners suffering poor reliability. There are lot of us Disco 3 owners and ex owners like me around.

Disco 3 would be a great off road car if it were not a heap of P**p with poor dealers and back up.

Most caravan owners will never need the 4 wheel prowess of a Disco 3 and most will never trust the reliability enough to try it off road if they do get it out of the repair shop long enough to go on holiday.

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello dj, unfortunately for you i am genuine, hope that doesnt upset you, i dont have a problem with my discovery 3, and nor did i have a problem with my previous discovery 3, maybe im the lucky one then, you obviously havent been i am not trying to sell discovery 3s to anyone, i gave my honest opinion, about the car i drive everyday, and have done so for the past 2 and a bit years, (first one for 2 years), we have travelled to the isle of skye, and down as far as paris at least 6 times in the past 2 and a bit years, and not had a problem, like i said maybe im lucky, i do however take on board comments from other people regarding anything in life, but then make my own mind up, and if that turns out to be a mistake, then tough, how life would be boring if we all had the same car, so im proud of my discovery 3, dont have aproblem with it, but if i do ill let you know, regards ED

Apr 22, 2006
Visit site
Must admit until I read DJ's post I was thinking they have surely improved a lot.

My friend got a disco 3 about 6 month's after they were launched. To begin with it was fine and then he started to get problems with the suspension. After many trip's to the garage they eventually agreed to replace it. Before his plate could be changed from the old one to the new it had started to do the same thing. They then changed that for a Range Rover sport which to be fair has been a good car.

Also Mark rather than cross your fingers get some good breakdown insurance as my father had a Range Rover a 3 years ago and the transmision and drive systems were always breaking but the final straw came when the breakdown vehicle turned up on the motorway and would only take his car. He then had to call me to go and pick up the caravan. Thankfully he was only 25 miles from home but what terrible service on a

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I have to admit I've read DJs comments a few times now as I cant make out if its a genuine up or not.

DJ comments "Not sure what others drive but the old Disco 3 is a bit of a slug and has house brick profile and looks"

Can someone tell me what an OLD DISCO 3 is as I was under the impression Disco 3 is the latest incarnation of the model and hasn't yet been refreshed....am I wrong?

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
OLD as in - OLD boy, Old Girl! Nothing to do with age, being old or an older model.

After having one "rogue" Disco 3 replaced by what turned out to be another "dog" of a Disco 3 we did wonder at times if LR build them with OLD parts.

I would remember the 'buyer beware' saying if buying LR. Not that we will again.

Our experience of new LR in the past three years is not something I would wish on my worst enemy.

Good luck to those who find a good one, it was the one we should have had! I guess if you were to always tow a caravan with a Disco 3 you have somewhere to wait for the breakdown service, if they turn out.

ed1

Aug 29, 2006
Visit site
hello again dj,

it must be you... ive also had a freelander, and that never broke down either, your doing the right thing steering clear of landrover then, cos ive got the good ones, what is your current car, and have you found the perfect one, but then again if youve got a good one now, that means someone else has the bad version, regards ED

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Seems like DJs picking up all the dodgy LRs.

I've had 2 Freebie 1's one of which my wifes is running that has suffered 1 worn fuel injector in 85k miles. I'm now on a Freebie 2 and so far no problems.

My mate is on his 3rd Freebie 1 and again never missed a beat.

(PS thanks for clearing up the OLD issue I thought they'd refreshed the model and I'd missed it!!)

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
As visiting workers to the UK wife and I kind of set ideas for our stay. Cottage in the country and tour UK and Europe with trailer or caravan. The Brit lifestyle then took in the idea of buy British for a car. What could be more British than Landrover?

As Disco 3 owners we've had "what do you expect" comments from a variety of breakdown service people including dealers own staff. As well as completely going wild about continued problems and lack of service in dealers we'v also joined in with joint assaults with owners about the c**p service and c**p cars.

Some smart Alec sales manager once tried the "it must be you sir" line of attack. So why have my wife and I had other cars with no problems like LR?

As a visiting foreign national who would have taken a new LR home next year, I would expect a little civility rather than the pompous LR rules OK YAH behaviour.

Walking into main dealers workshop after being spun a fairy tail about Disco 3 being a superior car and reliable I found them fitting parts to my car from broken down demonstrator Disco 3.

Having left belongings in our second Disco 3 we saw the car being taken from behind the dealers when that broke down. We followed in the loan car and found it was being taken to be hidden with other rogue Disco 3 at a near by part centre. Dealers sales manager was not to happy when we asked for him to explain his earlier stance about LR quality that day.

Green Flag and AA breakdown have at least 3 times told us that we were the 2nd or 3rd Disco 3 that they have picked up that day.

We've met quite a few "no problems" LR owners and others with the same experience as us. Two got full price exchange Disco 3's like us as we worked together against the dealer.

Second Disco 3 was one of three on a camp site in France. Our car limped in to the site with suspension and warning lights flashing. Our fellow LR lovers told of their surprise at the problems but could tell us exactly where the nearest dealer was. Collecting the car a few days later we only completed a few miles that day before we had repeat problems and returned to the dealer to find the two reliable Disco 3 from our site both with problems. Egg on face owners looking very sheepish.

What Car and other internet sites have long lists of Disco 3 problems. We've even met motoring journalists who have had them break down whilst on test.

Two Disco 3 have done a lot to spoil our stay in the UK and the dealer experience has been s**t and wasted a lot of our time and has never been compensated. Even PO Ferries were more help and took pity on us rather than Land Rover.

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
As visiting workers to the UK wife and I kind of set ideas for our stay. Cottage in the country and tour UK and Europe with trailer or caravan. The Brit lifestyle then took in the idea of buy British for a car. What could be more British than Landrover?

As Disco 3 owners we've had "what do you expect" comments from a variety of breakdown service people including dealers own staff. As well as completely going wild about continued problems and lack of service in dealers we'v also joined in with joint assaults with owners about the c**p service and c**p cars.

Some smart Alec sales manager once tried the "it must be you sir" line of attack. So why have my wife and I had other cars with no problems like LR?

As a visiting foreign national who would have taken a new LR home next year, I would expect a little civility rather than the pompous LR rules OK YAH behaviour.

Walking into main dealers workshop after being spun a fairy tail about Disco 3 being a superior car and reliable I found them fitting parts to my car from broken down demonstrator Disco 3.

Having left belongings in our second Disco 3 we saw the car being taken from behind the dealers when that broke down. We followed in the loan car and found it was being taken to be hidden with other rogue Disco 3 at a near by part centre. Dealers sales manager was not to happy when we asked for him to explain his earlier stance about LR quality that day.

Green Flag and AA breakdown have at least 3 times told us that we were the 2nd or 3rd Disco 3 that they have picked up that day.

We've met quite a few "no problems" LR owners and others with the same experience as us. Two got full price exchange Disco 3's like us as we worked together against the dealer.

Second Disco 3 was one of three on a camp site in France. Our car limped in to the site with suspension and warning lights flashing. Our fellow LR lovers told of their surprise at the problems but could tell us exactly where the nearest dealer was. Collecting the car a few days later we only completed a few miles that day before we had repeat problems and returned to the dealer to find the two reliable Disco 3 from our site both with problems. Egg on face owners looking very sheepish.

What Car and other internet sites have long lists of Disco 3 problems. We've even met motoring journalists who have had them break down whilst on test.

Two Disco 3 have done a lot to spoil our stay in the UK and the dealer experience has been s**t and wasted a lot of our time and has never been compensated. Even PO Ferries were more help and took pity on us rather than Land Rover.
Buy a Kia Sorento. Four years, thousands of miles towing heavy twin-axle in UK and abroad. Not a single problem, and a pleasure to be in. And cheaper to run, buy, service and tax!

Jan 28, 2008
Visit site
Buy a Kia Sorento. Four years, thousands of miles towing heavy twin-axle in UK and abroad. Not a single problem, and a pleasure to be in. And cheaper to run, buy, service and tax!

Mar 2, 2006
Visit site
The army are dumping thier L/rovers and going over to Pinzgaure,we have 22 defenders in the hangar at the moment and only 7 are running without faults.

Sep 2, 2008
Visit site
Thank you for the advice Ladies, but I'm left with the feeling that again I'm faced by LR mafia who will see no problem with the marque no matter what.

It seems that some find it humerous that buying LR has cost our pockets dear. Days wasted! Trips out not completed! Appointments misssed! Children late for school! Hours wasted at the road side and in garages! Holiday and leisure trips spoilt or ruined!

If you find that funny as a Disco 3 owner Wendy, shame on you.

It's just like visiting a Land Rover dealership here, ignore the fact that we'v had two problem Discovery 3 and talk as though we must have just had 1 problem car. All this whilst ignoring the problems that many other Disco 3 owners have had!

We've met the LR owners with the problem free cars, "teething problems" and minor leaks and bits and bobs dropping off and failing are considered not a problem worth mentioning to others by LR Tifosi.

As others seem to find humour in our Disco 3 saga and choose to ignore that we also experienced failing loan cars, the revered new Freelander. Try this for size.

Freelander, May 2008 JD POWER report.

"There were plenty of headaches caused by mechanical faults, as well as problems with the interior and bodywork.

Dealers and running costs were also rated below average"

Our experience has shown and been repeated here. LR Disco 3 owners seem to be blind to the problems and are carried on some sort of wave of Landrover enthusiastic euphoria that blinds them to the problems of the cars.

Mar 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi, you pay your money and take your chances. In the last few years I've had significant problems with nearly new Honda, Volvo and Nissan vehicles which are all supposed to be at the top end of build quality and reliability. I have now run a Disco 3 for 12 months without any issue whatsoever and am very happy with this vehicle. A search of various forums shall confirm that all marques suffer from problems and Landrover are no different in this respect. The earlier D3s seemed to suffer their share of issues but I owuld say that the leter models are up there with the rest on reliability.

Gordon.

DJM

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
No problems with reliability of the LR Freelander 2 according to this: http://www.strategicvision.com/auto_segmentwinners.php?year=2008&award=TQA&seg=22

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Fact - No car manufacturer is 100% fault free. Some particular vehicles may remain fault free for many years, whilst others of the same design may have faults.

Cars are incredibly complex, they have many thousands of separate parts and hundreds of subassemblies. They bristle with technology, some of it cutting edge. In the context of the number and type of subassemblies used in cars it is amazing that so few problems show up. If only caravans were as reliable!

When a car does go wrong, it can be very expensive to repair.

I have no reason to dispute DJ's experience, and it is a sad tale, but as it is only one persons report, and it might not be indicative of what other will experience, and it certainly should not exclude others from reporting their better fortunes.

Its is a situation where both sides of the experience can be right, and which ever side of the fence you find your self, it does not make the other side wrong - it just different.

Clearly your own personal experiences will colour your attitude, and will weigh heavily when making your next choice of car.

As I am sure most of us do, we research a bit about the vehicles we fancy. Then its down to your own choice against the criteria you deem important.

Ps there are non 4x4s that will tow most caravans.

Oct 28, 2006
Visit site
I hate to say this and its by no means personal,but i do agree with DJ,uk manufactors and dealers,have shot them selves in the foot,with bad service out of date products,and now it shows,very little or maybe none uk owned car manufactors,most surely no uk truck makers.its gone a bit sad.as for LR people spout on about freelander 1 ,surely not petrol k series,forget carring spare wheels ,spare head gaskets more like it.LR just carried on churning them out.research and development?

200 and 300 tdi funny enough ive got one in my workshop(latter) still suffering with the same faults as 20 years ago.

Disco 3 should be good,borrow someone elses engine,(2.7 hdi)

so at least thats sorted ,now its just everythink around it.

after all it was LR parent companie(BL)who destroyed the uk vehicle industry.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts