Disheartened Bailey Olympus Alu Tech Van 2011 Owner - Stone dents on the front

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi

We own a Bailey Olympus Caravan which when the sun shined this weekend we realised it had suffered stone dents up the front, on the plastic plates that were fitted and in the middle section which is exposed. Surely this shouldn't happen. Anyone know how we stand regarding our warranty here?

We had a bailey ranger for 4 years and this was absolutely fine. Something tells me it's the alu-tech shell that is like play-doh!!
The van is due for it's service at the end of the month at Bardsea Leisure so we will see what they say but I have my doubts about what can be done here.
Any advice much appreciated. You never let us down.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This is a well known problem which has been evident since the introduction of the Alu Tech construction.
There has been a lot written on forums about it, and it seems to just the way they are.
To replace the front panel would require the return to Bailey and a whole new front and roof being fitted, which I very much doubt Bailey would agree to.

Mar 1, 2009
Visit site
Hi, We also have a Olympus the shell of the van is made from Aluminium. Which being a metal will dent if hit by an object. Our model also has the plastic plates on the front these are fitted to help reduce any damage from debris thrown up from the towcar.Our middle section is the gas door which is made of hard plastic and does not have any dents. We also got our van from Bardsea. You could say to them when its in for a service but unless its a fault with the caravan i dont think you will have much joy.

Dougie.....

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys - The plastic plates have damage and then the middle bit under the plastic locker has a couple of dents too - you would have thought the plastic plates would cover the whole vulnerable area at the front. Since they knew it was a problem.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Dan & Paula.

I'm sorry you have stone damage to the front of your caravan, it seems that Bailey Alutec caravans are susceptible to this kind of damage.

It is a fact tow vehicles will throw stones up, and the severity will be affected by the road surface and the way the vehicle is driven.

It is also a fact that any caravan surface is likely to be damaged if hit by a stone thrown at it. Different surface materials and their substrates will respond differently, and some may be damaged more than others. The manufacturer chooses the materials to use through their design processes. One would hope that the design considered resistance to stone impact damage.

I fully understand your desire to return your caravan to its original condition free of charge. You may try asking the manufacture for a repair under goodwill, especially if it seems to be a common problem.

If you are adamant on pursuing and FOC repair you will need to consider legal services to argue your case. Whilst I believe my advice below is correct, you should seek professional legal advice before proceeding on any points. Its only fair at this stage for me to express my belief that your chances of a legal success are very low.

To obtain a free of charge repair for the stone damage to the caravan you have two possible routes using the tools you have been provided with. The Sale of Goods Act, and your Manufactures Guarantee. These two tools are both contracts but very different, where as SoGA is a statutory requirement, the Manufactures Guarantee is not a legal requirement, and can be very restrictive as to its use and application.

Unless the Manufacturers guarantee includes some provision for the repair of stone chip damaged in its terms and conditions, then I seriously doubt you can use that route to obtain an FOC repair.

SoGA on the other hand under some circumstances might provide a solution - but I am not confident of success. It is designed to provide a fair outcome for both buyer and seller, - so unreasonable expectations are not likely to be met.

The act makes the seller (Not the manufacture)liable for any faults in the goods. The act requires that goods sold are of merchantable quality and be fit for purpose. This implies that the goods must be free from design, material & Workmanship defects (these criteria are not mutually dependant) and fit for purpose at the point of sale (POS) and for a reasonable length of time following the POS.

From a design perspective, you would have to show that stone impact from a tow vehicle was not adequately considered in its design process.

Or that the materials specified were not sufficient to provide reasonable resistance to stone impact.

Or that the materials were not to specification or that faulty workmanship had been used in the construction of the caravan.

If the manufacture has issued any modifications or accessories specifically related to repair or prevention of stone damage, this may give weight to your position.

If your case relies of the evidence of your own caravan, then you would have to be able to show that your caravan has not been abused or exposed to unreasonable or extreme conditions.

Citing the lack of stone damage to other makes and types of caravan may help to give sufficient weight to call into question either the inadequacy of the design or materials used.

I think you will see that the burden to show the manufacture is wrong in either design or manufacture will be highly problematical, and to do so may involve considerable expense, of which there is no guarantee of successful recovery.

On balance I believe approaching the manufacture for some goodwill gesture towards repairs would be about the best you could realistically achieve.

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I sympathise with you on this problem as I was unlucky enough to have bought one of the first 2010 Bailey Pegasus Alu tech caravans made and within 2 outings my caravan suffered approx 16 small dents on the front aluminium panel. After trying every avenue to get this damage repaired (contacted dealer's agent who had been issued by Bailey with marginally thicker front decals but when they removed the original plastic film and tried to fit the new decals it was horrendous and the stone dents had turned into blisters in the plastic, I was told I would have to have the dents filled and resprayed then new decals fitted. Bailey was contacted numerous times, I also tried to get Practical Caravan involved too as they still seemed to be promoting the new Bailey Alu tech caravans without success). Bailey adamantly refused to admit the revolutionary new design of the caravan was faulty and not fit for towing on the open road and tried to blame it on my towing vehicle but I had previously fitted my Ford Kuga with extra mudflaps to prevent this type of damage so I know it wasn't that. I have towed caravans for 25 years+ and have never ever had a problem like this, my caravans have always been well looked after and in great condition. I discovered on other caravan forums that quite a few other early Pegasus buyers had the same problem and had suffered the same indifferent treatment from Bailey however someone kindly recommended a company in Doncaster called Panelworks. They very cleverly fitted an ABS panel to replace the inadequate front protection provided by Bailey. Problem now solved at a cost of approx £200 which I had to fork out for which grieved me sorely after spending £17,000+ on the new caravan but it was worth every penny as it looks great and is now much more resistant to this type of damage. As a result I will never buy another Bailey caravan unless they seriously get their act together. They're happy to take your money but after sales service is practically non-existent. Our caravan industry seems to be failing, no wonder many people are buying foreign caravans which seem to have a better quality build.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Traficman,

Sadly it seems that despite your best efforts there was no positive support from Bailey for your stone chip problem.

Frankly given the circumstances I'm not surprised. It is very difficult for an individual to gather sufficient evidence to show that a product design is not fit for purpose.

In practice resisting stone impacts is only one of several functions the panel is required to do, and in all other respects it continues to function fully. The stone impacts do not make the caravan unusable as a towable habitation unit.

Dan and Paula I'm afraid can expect the same outcome.

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I doubt that you will get very far trying to get a warranty claim on this. If you think where the stones are coming from it is probably your towing vehicle trowing them up into the fron of the caravan. Should the vehicle manufacturer be responsible? Should the towbar fitter have advised that the vehicle will throw stones up? I'm not saying any are correct but the problem with stone damage on the Bailey is a result of the effect of an external source.
A spray supressant mat across the back of the towing vehicle would stop the stones being thrown up on to the caravan but would this be acceptable to most people as it would spoil the aesthetic looks of their tug. I've played with them in the past on larger vehicles and even tried a smaller version on my tug, but whilst they work well they look ugly and really need to come off when not towing and I can't be bothered to spend the time devising a quick release system for them.

Sep 2, 2012
Visit site
Following from Bailey website re the 2013 Unicorn
Quote NEW upper body panels cloaked in a single sheet impact resistant GRP outer skin for extra durability Unquote

I am coming up for caravan changing time and have been looking at the Unicorn Cadiz. However this constant problem of damage to alutechs does not fill me with confidence.
Do they now have a GRP skin on all their vans? and is this skin on your van? and if so is it damaged?

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I had mine sprayed with a clear coating which is removable i have this on my 2013 Eterniti Genesis.

Worked a treat considering my 4x4 kicks alot of stones up.

company if i wan remember was vehicleprotectioncoatings.co.uk

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts