Dishwashers

Apr 4, 2005
Visit site
Hi everybody

I need to get as many opinions as possible on the above subject to arrive at a decision. Our kitchen is in need of a revamp and so now is the time to/not to install a dishwasher. There are now only usually two of us and husband is about to retire so what are the pros and cons (of a dishwasher, not a husband about to retire!!!?) Would be glad of any advise please.

Chris

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
My husband swore black and blue we were never having a dishwasher, last time we went on holiday it was all I could do to get him to load it.

When we got home, my friend knew someone who was selling one for

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
For two of you it would not be economical to use after each meal as you would quite a few dishes and utensils. We are three in family and we do not see the point in having one - in our opinion they are a total waste of money for the smaller family.

Jan 26, 2006
Visit site
sorry but i disagree with the above you dont have to use the dishwasher every time you have a meal we start filling ours at breakfast and by the time evening has come its full. we have a full size dishwasher but you can get a smaller version for the smaller family. the dishes come out squeaky clean and the cutlery is shining i wouldnt be without mine.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
sorry but i disagree with the above you dont have to use the dishwasher every time you have a meal we start filling ours at breakfast and by the time evening has come its full. we have a full size dishwasher but you can get a smaller version for the smaller family. the dishes come out squeaky clean and the cutlery is shining i wouldnt be without mine.
ahhhhhhhh so that kicks Colins theory into touch (pardon the pun).

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I said by starting to fill it at breakfast time, by the time supper comes there are quite a few dirty dishes/utensils already in the machine waiting to be washed. This necessitates having quite a few of everything otherwise you would be eating off the mat. As far as getting the dishes clean I must disagree as I have seen utensiles that are not clean from the use of dishwahsers. How many times have you eaten out and ended up being served with dirty dishes/utensils. All cafes/pubs/restaurabnts use dishwashers nowadys and the standard of cleanliness on times is debatable.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As I said by starting to fill it at breakfast time, by the time supper comes there are quite a few dirty dishes/utensils already in the machine waiting to be washed. This necessitates having quite a few of everything otherwise you would be eating off the mat. As far as getting the dishes clean I must disagree as I have seen utensiles that are not clean from the use of dishwahsers. How many times have you eaten out and ended up being served with dirty dishes/utensils. All cafes/pubs/restaurabnts use dishwashers nowadys and the standard of cleanliness on times is debatable.
Lord B I think my response is a winning punch and would be surprised if you were to "try" to better it.

G

As a retired couple the dishwasher is an essential part of our 'kit', in the home, not the van that is. I can recommend the Miele model, not the cheapest, but excellent value and will last longer.

Unfortunately, in the van we use the manual method, she washes, I get to dry., although at the weekend, we swop just to make me feel better.

Dec 1, 2005
Visit site
I must say it was trial and error when we first got our dishy, the cutlery was not clean - this was due to incorrect salt and rinse aid levels. I think that restaurants etc probably don't check the levels daily as we have also come across the problem of "dirty" utensils and plates when we habve eaten out.

It's true also that we fill up throughout the day and wash in the evening, there are only 3 of us, but we have a full size dishy.

Each to their own I think in this case!!

Lolly x

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
This reminds me of the well known chap of high society living in Hereford who went to his local GP as his hands were covered in a rash from using the wrong washing up liquid. The doctor give him some cream to apply three times a day and whilst using the cream he had to refrain from the washing up duties. On completion of the examination he asked the doctor would he be able to play the piano when the rash had cleared up, to which the doctor replied that there should be no reason why he shouldn't. The patient's response was that it must be marvellous cream because up until now he did not have a clue how to play the piano as he was tone deaf.

Jan 19, 2008
Visit site
This reminds me of the well known chap of high society living in Hereford who went to his local GP as his hands were covered in a rash from using the wrong washing up liquid. The doctor give him some cream to apply three times a day and whilst using the cream he had to refrain from the washing up duties. On completion of the examination he asked the doctor would he be able to play the piano when the rash had cleared up, to which the doctor replied that there should be no reason why he shouldn't. The patient's response was that it must be marvellous cream because up until now he did not have a clue how to play the piano as he was tone deaf.
heheheh!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
As much as I miss our romantic get togethers while washing up (Yeah, right!), getting a dishwasher was a great move. As mentioned above, load the dishes during the day (only two of us) and switch on at night, empty in the morning, repeat. Apart from a few badly loaded times the washer works better and more hygienically than manual washing. Stops the arguments about who wipes and baked on food is no more. Go for it you wont regret it Chrissylizzie.

Jan 26, 2006
Visit site
yes i know that i agree with but catering dishwashers they are totally diffrent because they are only on 4 - 5 mins at a time if that, whereas the ones we use in the house are on for an hour or so and have greater effect.

Nov 2, 2005
Visit site
With moving house soon I intend to get a mechanical dishwasher also. Not really for the everyday stuff but when the house is full it would be nice for hubby to have a rest.

See we women do think of men sometimes !!!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
If the cap fits etc. - hehehe

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
One posting on this topic states that the average domestic dishwasher takes approx. an hour or so to complete the cycle. Gee wiz think of the energy cnsumption and the ozone layer. Where are the Green party to capialise on this waste of time and energy and damage to the atmosphere. I have been washing dishes both at home and on sites for almost 40 years and it has not had any detrimental effect on me.

Feb 1, 2006
Visit site
If hubby does the washing up .......You DON'T need one.

If you do the washing up ........You DO need one.

If you usually share the washing up and use it to catch up on how each others day has gone.........You DON'T need one.

If you usually share the washing up but argue over whose turn it is to dry ...........you DO need one.

And one final point ..... if you get one try really hard to stack it in a really bad way..... hubby won't be able to resist doing it for you!!! (Simple!) :)

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have had a dishwasher, and gone back to the kitchen sink dish washing.

Advantages of a dishwasher are , imo, limited to the one thing, you dont have to wash by hand.

Take the cost of the machine, then the Salt it needs to work, Washing tablets , Rinse aid, the 2 hours it is running on electric, starting with heating up water from cold, as almost all only have a cold fill,,,,,,and then it does not always get all the dishes clean, the cutlery clean, but what they are great at, is taking any colour out of patterns, making glasses look like they have been through a sandstorm, and if you have prepared something like Chicken in red wine sauce, leaving a gluey residue on the baking dish.

At least with handwashing you use a couple of sinks full of water, maybe only one, a small amount of liquid, and you are sure the dishes are clean.

The hot water is already available, having been heated by your heating boiler, or immersion, so no added heating costs, no extra salt, rinse aid, and normally only takes a few minutes, or up to 20 mins for a large lot.

Then, of course, when the dishwasher breaks down, which does not happen with handwashing, there is the call out fee, about

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We are a two person house and have been dishwasher owners for a good few years now.

There are many reasons for having a dishwasher, one, not standing at the kitchen sink washing stacks of dirty crocs particularly when family comes round scrounging Sunday dinner!

Secondly, if you have no scroungers, then you only need to wash up every couple of days, OK maybe a couple of pots and pans.

Next, husband can go to sleep after after eating his evening meal, you can wash up without him feeling guilty.......Not!

Finally, there's no againsts in dishwasher owning, only the need for extra crocs, everything comes out nice an clean, and you did'nt do a thing:O)

TRENDING THREADS