Distance between caravans on site

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
I’ve just had a week on a really nice site but after returning from a day out on day 5 I found the pitch next to me was occupied by another van. The van was on the pitch hitch first, the wrong side of the pitch and less than 2 metres from my van. I spoke to the site owner who agreed to speak to the caravan owner when he returned to the site. The owner moved the van to the correct side of the pitch the following morning. I was astonished that the caravaner hitched up so close to me and the wardens let it happen. I thought that there was a regulation that caravans had to be 5 or 6m apart when on site for safety reasons.

Attachments

• 2826BD4C-D625-48FA-81CF-C28DD4285479.jpeg
    2826BD4C-D625-48FA-81CF-C28DD4285479.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I’ve just had a week on a really nice site but after returning from a day out on day 5 I found the pitch next to me was occupied by another van. The van was on the pitch hitch first, the wrong side of the pitch and less than 2 metres from my van. I spoke to the site owner who agreed to speak to the caravan owner when he returned to the site. The owner moved the van to the correct side of the pitch the following morning. I was astonished that the caravaner hitched up so close to me and the wardens let it happen. I thought that there was a regulation that caravans had to be 5 or 6m apart when on site for safety reasons.
Was it a private site or club site. Good though that they were asked to move and did so without a fuss.

Reactions: JezzerB
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
It was a private site, wouldn’t happen on a club site.

Well actually we are on a club site and the van next door is front end in. Due to us being on a bend there is loads of room so does not interfere with our enjoyment. I don’t know if they got permission.

John

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
The spacing requirements are a legal thing which private or club have to be adhered to, it will form part of a sites operating licence.
Nose in on CC sites is allowed, was a huge issue once.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The spacing requirements are a legal thing which private or club have to be adhered to, it will form part of a sites operating licence.
Yes it’s clearly stated in the CMHC rules as being allowed unless there’s a specific restriction. Some years ago the membership card even showed “ mixed” pitching on its background picture.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Yes it’s clearly stated in the CMHC rules as being allowed unless there’s a specific restriction. Some years ago the membership card even showed “ mixed” pitching on its background picture.
I was quite anti door to door pitching, until a very nice woman walked around her caravan next door with the door open in shorts and a bra, changed my mind after that weeks holiday 😳

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I don't think there is any actual legislation regarding the 6 metres, but it is probably in the by-laws of the local council.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
If you Google this,
Years back I did lots of research on the subject, toyed with buying a small site
Model Standards is part of legislation.
The "Model Standard" has changed over the years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-091803_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-091803_Google.jpg
    381.5 KB · Views: 15
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
If you Google this,
Years back I did lots of research on the subject, toyed with buying a small site
Thats an advisory with its "should". Bit like the wording in the Highway Code on some issues. But the sensible site owner would keep to the guidance as in the event of an incident they could be liable if a shorter spacing contributed to the incident.

Reactions: RogerL
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
If you Google this,
That is a bye law imposed by the local council and not something passed by parliament. However councils very seldom follow it up even if you lodge a complaint as by the time they investigate people have moved on.
Near to us on of the CAMCs district rallies was held at the parish hall and no was were the caravans 6m apart. Think maximum distance was about 3m. We have seen this on CLs where family members get together and also on commercial sites.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Thats an advisory with its "should". Bit like the wording in the Highway Code on some issues. But the sensible site owner would keep to the guidance as in the event of an incident they could be liable if a shorter spacing contributed to the incident.
You need to Google Model Standards touring caravan sites
The term Model standards is part of legislation and must be adhered to to gain a licence to operate.
The standards include spacing, footways, density interesting document.
Don't get me started on the highway code, cyclists God

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
That is a bye law imposed by the local council and not something passed by parliament. However councils very seldom follow it up even if you lodge a complaint as by the time they investigate people have moved on.
Near to us on of the CAMCs district rallies was held at the parish hall and no was were the caravans 6m apart. Think maximum distance was about 3m. We have seen this on CLs where family members get together and also on commercial sites.
Different rules for rallies

Had a quick Google and here is legislation probably out of date but it does mention the phrase "Model Standard"
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Eliz2/8-9/62

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
You need to Google Model Standards touring caravan sites
The term Model standards is part of legislation and must be adhered to to gain a licence to operate.
The standards include spacing, footways, density interesting document.
Don't get me started on the highway code, cyclists God
As you have investigated the subject in depth, it would be interesting if you could quote the specific legislation passed by parliament regarding touring sites as I was never able to find anything regarding spacing and many other issues.

BTW just to add that the 6m guideline for fire and safety guidelines seems to apply to static caravans and not touring caravans otherwise you probably would never be able to store caravans next to one another?

I do agree that the 6m rule or guideline is an excellent one and should be enforced on many sites especially on Bank holiday weekends.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
As you have investigated the subject in depth, it would be interesting if you could quote the specific legislation passed by parliament regarding touring sites as I was never able to find anything regarding spacing and many other issues.

BTW just to add that the 6m guideline for fire and safety guidelines seems to apply to static caravans and not touring caravans otherwise you probably would never be able to store caravans next to one another?

I do agree that the 6m rule or guideline is an excellent one and should be enforced on many sites especially on Bank holiday weekends.
There are 2 model standards, Residential and Touring
The link I give is the act of Parliament (old one) which doesn't mention spacing but does mention "Model Standards" as to be adhered to.
Its the "Model Standards" that then contain all the relevant, erm standards to be met.
The "Model Standards" can then be updated without the need for an act of Parliament to change.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
There are 2 model standards, Residential and Touring
The link I give is the act of Parliament (old one) which doesn't mention spacing but does mention "Model Standards" as to be adhered to.
Its the "Model Standards" that then contain all the relevant, erm standards to be met.
The "Model Standards" can then be updated without the need for an act of Parliament to change.
Thanks so I was correct in thinking it was not law. I am aware of the residential standard, but the touring one is generally very vague and there is seldom reference to spacing for touring caravans no matter the council or district. Probably why they cannot enforce them on many sites.

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Well actually we are on a club site and the van next door is front end in. Due to us being on a bend there is loads of room so does not interfere with our enjoyment. I don’t know if they got permission.

John
On club sites you can ask if you can park differently (face in/out) usually it isn't a problem.

May 24, 2014
Visit site
At Dornafield, an affiliated site run by the CAMC, every pitch is fully serviced, but the services are doubled between two pitches. It is commonplace there to see many caravans nose in to allow the services to be on the correct side of the caravan.

Rightly or wrongly, I was under the impression that units had to pitch 6m apart to comply with a legal firebreak in the sites licence.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I went to a Camping and caravanning club site last time out and was told to put my caravan level with the waste drain and the Astro turf so i did .

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

There’s a world of difference between caravans on a touring pitch and caravans in store. The risks are completely different.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Thanks so I was correct in thinking it was not law. I am aware of the residential standard, but the touring one is generally very vague and there is seldom reference to spacing for touring caravans no matter the council or district. Probably why they cannot enforce them on many sites.
I think you misunderstand.
Model standards is in law
Spacing is contained within those model standards.
So spacing is part of the legal requirements of a touring and residential site.
Many years ago well not that many the CC had to redesign many pitches because they hadn't been spacing correctly

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
I am pretty sure the distance and firebreak are part of the planning agreement for each site and agreed with the local fire brigade so could possibly vary across the country. But in reality they tend to follow the same standard. It may also be that the licence may be lost if the agreed standards are not adhered to.

John

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts