Distance between caravans on site

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think you misunderstand.
Model standards is in law
Spacing is contained within those model standards.
So spacing is part of the legal requirements of a touring and residential site.
Many years ago well not that many the CC had to redesign many pitches because they hadn't been spacing correctly
Yes I had my booking at Hawes cancelled two weeks before arrival and it would only be reinstated if we didn’t use an awning. Found a private site the other side of Hawes which was nearer to pubs and restaurants.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 6, 2005
Visit site
I think you misunderstand.
Model standards is in law
Spacing is contained within those model standards.
So spacing is part of the legal requirements of a touring and residential site.
Many years ago well not that many the CC had to redesign many pitches because they hadn't been spacing correctly
The term "model" standards implies a suggested standard, not a mandatory one - and google searches seem to indicate that each local authority publishes it's own model standard rather than from gov.uk.

CC has been widening pitch spacing at intervals for 4 decades to my knowledge so has done so several times as demand for wider pitches to accommodate awnings, which weren't standard in the olden days, as well as wider cars and wider caravans.

Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
The term "model" standards implies a suggested standard, not a mandatory one - and google searches seem to indicate that each local authority publishes it's own model standard rather than from gov.uk.

CC has been widening pitch spacing at intervals for 4 decades to my knowledge so has done so several times as demand for wider pitches to accommodate awnings, which weren't standard in the olden days, as well as wider cars and wider caravans.

I agree, I am sure it is as in my post #25. When googled it is individual brigades that quote what they consider is correct. They could well derive that from some model standards as there seems to be consistency. The same consistency as used by the CMHC.

Unlike the Fire Brigades advice on fire fighting eguipment for caravans. Each brigade is different. It varies between what to carry, and just get out and get away.

John

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I am pretty sure the distance and firebreak are part of the planning agreement for each site and agreed with the local fire brigade so could possibly vary across the country. But in reality they tend to follow the same standard. It may also be that the licence may be lost if the agreed standards are not adhered to.

John
That is also my understanding.

Mar 29, 2021
Visit site
Best I can do, if you click screenshot then zoom in you may/should be able to read it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210913-171700_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20210913-171700_Drive.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 13
Jun 16, 2020
Visit site
Best I can do, if you click screenshot then zoom in you may/should be able to read it.

The standards go on to say…

These standards should be considered when applying licence conditions to new sites and sites that have been substantially redeveloped

It would appear to be advise provided for LA‘s when issuing licences. I don’t imagine an LA would go against them although no doubt they could increase the safety aspect.

John

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I agree the distance is often imposed on the site by the local authority often as part of the planning permission.
Possibly the ones who would be best to contact are the fire service, who would be more concerned with this and could then refer problems to the planning department of the local authority.

Apr 28, 2021
Visit site
I found a document on line from the local authority for the area of the particular camp site. The local authority will issue a licence providing certain conditions are met, included in the conditions are distancing which states that caravans should be 6m apart, if 2 caravans are from the same residence this can be 3m. Under no circumstances should any caravan, awning or car be within 3m from another caravan. It goes on to say that the 6m rule is to provide privacy and the 3m rule is for health and safety and fire regs. I would imagine most local authorities have similar regulations.

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
I found a document on line from the local authority for the area of the particular camp site. The local authority will issue a licence providing certain conditions are met, included in the conditions are distancing which states that caravans should be 6m apart, if 2 caravans are from the same residence this can be 3m. Under no circumstances should any caravan, awning or car be within 3m from another caravan. It goes on to say that the 6m rule is to provide privacy and the 3m rule is for health and safety and fire regs. I would imagine most local authorities have similar regulations.
Does it refer to residential(static) or touring caravans as there is a difference?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts