DIY Motor Mover Fitting

Sep 22, 2006
Visit site
I am considering fitting a Powrtouch Motor Mover myself but would appreciate comments from someone who has done it before!

I am guessing that it clamps to the chassis rails (with no drilling etc) and that I will need to drill a hole in the floor somewhere to get the wires to the battery box. Other than connecting the wiring to the control box I can't see there can be much more to do.

Am I being a dillusional idiot or is it a fairly simple job for someone with reasonable DIY skills? Is setting it up (adjusting it) difficult? Do you get sensible instructions? How long did it take you?

Chris

May 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi Chris

It is very easy and the instructions you get with the mover are very good. Try and take the wires through a vent in the floor rather than drilling the van. It will take you between 3-4 hours by the time you run all the wires neatly. You will need a Torque Wrench, a 13mm Spanner, a 17mm Spanner and a 13mm Socket and a 17mm Socket and a Screwdriver.

Keith

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Chris,

I have to diagree with Keith, don`t damage your vent mesh to get cables inside, I drilled a hole for each cable as near to the correct size as possible, then put builders mastic on the cable at the point where seal will be made and pull the mastic into the hole, the seal will be waterproof, and the holes are of no consequence to strength of the floor.Much better than letting vermin in or blocking a gas drop vent.

Tony A.

May 15, 2006
Visit site
Chris,

I have to diagree with Keith, don`t damage your vent mesh to get cables inside, I drilled a hole for each cable as near to the correct size as possible, then put builders mastic on the cable at the point where seal will be made and pull the mastic into the hole, the seal will be waterproof, and the holes are of no consequence to strength of the floor.Much better than letting vermin in or blocking a gas drop vent.

Tony A.
Hi Tony

The vent I put my wires through has about 20 holes I took out 4 holes to run my wires and there is still plenty holes to vent, there is no way any bugs will get in. Some people put bedding under the front seats will that not block up the vent. I hope Chris does not get put off by DIY you get satisfaction doing it yourself.

Jan 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi Chris

I fitted my own Powertouch motor mover myself.

They give very good instrctions and you can phone the workshop for help if you need it.

You will need torque wrench as Keith said.

It took me 8 hours to fit but I was not in any hurry just take you time and think thing out before drilling holes in any floor panel etc. I did not make any holes on my Bailey but i did buy plastic tub to run the wires through the chassi to stop rubbing.

You will need a hand lifting the two motors up to the chassi rail. I used a small jack wood blocks to help me out to support the units. The fitting kit comes with wood distance block to get adjustment correct from the tyre.

regards Steve

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
Hi Chris

I also fitted my mover and used the floor vents to bring the cables inside, I just cut enough wire to get the cable through then cut a short piece of hosepipe 3ins long & pushed it over the cable so it would not get chaffed.

To mke the job easier, if you haven't already thought of it, jack the van as high as possible at the front & chock the wheels, I think it took me about 3 1/4 hours to do the job & I'm 70.

Tankie

Dec 12, 2005
Visit site
I have found Powrtouch to be a brilliant company to deal with. So helpful, the coating on one of my rollers started to break up after about 3 years very frequent use, one phone call & 2 new ones arrived 2 days later, briliant aftersales!

Tankie

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts