Do gel batteries produce gas?

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
In normal use, no. I have a lot of experience with AGM which aren't that different on my boat. It was originally fitted with three Odyssey (very expensive) batteries on the domestic side. However, the idiot of a previous owner had installed a Zig charger, which
isn't a smart charger and left it powered up... One of the batteries overheated and "blew". The case only distorted, no leaks or gas....

Reactions: ademceylan
Jan 31, 2018
Visit site
Lead Acid batteries produce hydrogen-not poisonous perse but explosive-so that's why they should be charged in a vented area and no sparks around! If the area the battery is in , no worries!

Sep 26, 2018
Visit site
Lead Acid batteries produce hydrogen-not poisonous perse but explosive-so that's why they should be charged in a vented area and no sparks around! If the area the battery is in , no worries!
...but AGM and gel don't vent anything in normal use, only when abused by bad charging putting them on the verge of exploding...

Reactions: ademceylan and JTQ
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi. I'm going install my 60 ah gel battery inside my caravan in the living area. Do they release poisonous gases while charging or using?
A quick search of the internet tells me that AGM batteries in good condition and under a correct charging and usage regime are generally relatively safe.

However They can give of fumes under some conditions, which is why they do have safety valves to vent them!

Regardless of what they are called they still use an electrolyte which is by its nature has to be acidic, and if they are damaged it can cause a hazardous leak.

Whilst they may represent a lesser risk than convetional wet batteries I my view they should should only be installed in room sealed container, treated just the same as Lead Acid.

It's you and your families safety , your choice

Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
For many years Hymer fitted a gel battery in UK caravans under the bed locker. I would fit a battery box to the floor and use that. If the charger is in the same locker I would ensure there is an air gap somewhere above the battery. Hydrogen is lighter than air and will rise. Should there be a problem and gas is given off the gas should rise and hopefully escape through a roof vent. However it is explosive so take care.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts