do i need a 4x4 to tow a baileys pagent mozelle

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Oh dear, you've stirred the "chelsea" hornets nest there Ricky.

I can't put my finger on it ( well not here anyway or else it won't get printed!!)but there only seems to be one particular "class" of vehicle that has attracted the "rapid responce defence team" leap of faith.

Everyone has different perceptions of what is good or bad about anything and as ive said in the past "you can call me what you like, but never call me late for breakfast". I've had our 4 wheel chums and as my mum would say there's a place for everything and everything has it's place.

So I too find it strange that there seems to be plenty of the "tractors" parked outside the local school, and they always gleam with plenty of bling!!

For the moment you'll get away with running a 4 Litre V8 on gas and it may well beas cheap as a Passat on oil (diesel), but just wait until Gordon Brown has found a way to tax gas the same as petrol and you'll have the last laugh again!!

Even last night Clarkson tested the golf R32 against the BMW 130i and found that the golf was 4K cheaper and just as quick and further more, you could get 4 adults in it and not 2 stick insects in the back like the beemer. But of coarse the beemer has B for bling on it!!

Go with facts and information and a look at the running cost's and then you'll make the right choice. Often trying to be in the bling only cost's more for the same outcome.
"I can't put my finger on it ( well not here anyway or else it won't get printed!!)but there only seems to be one particular "class" of vehicle that has attracted the "rapid responce defence team" leap of faith".

Hmmm, if you prefer, we could start up the "Renaults avoid towing" group, RAT for short. That way the 4x4 owners will feel less victimised. I'm sure there are caravaner out there that could comment on such a thing, and if not, we will just have to make up a few statistics, to prove our point.

Sound familiar?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hi Stan

Getting stuck on wet grass in a front wheel drive car in this country is hardly a once in a lifetime experience.

Stan - you are going to need a "substantial" vehicle anyway - do not be put of by the silly "Chelsea tractor" bigotry of the anti's. Not one of them has been able to explain precisely how an extra prop shaft makes a vehicle the motoring equivalent of the anti-Christ. So it seems it is just down to their over emotional prejudice.

Just weigh up the pros and cons of 4 wheel drive as opposed to 2 wheel drive and make your own mind up. The mpg's quoted above are not realistic - most good modern 4x4's achieve excellent mpg equivalent to a similar sized car or people carrier.

The only thing I would most definitely recommend is as David W suggests and that is to avoid a front wheel drive car.

Jun 23, 2006
Visit site
Get in the real world, they will never tax a money earner off the road and a lot like me use them for work.

A few people should learn to keep their noses out of others paid choices.

Stan does not "NEED" or have to have a 4 x 4 but it might be a good idea deopending on where he wants to go and what sort of sites he wants to use.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
"I can't put my finger on it ( well not here anyway or else it won't get printed!!)but there only seems to be one particular "class" of vehicle that has attracted the "rapid responce defence team" leap of faith".

Hmmm, if you prefer, we could start up the "Renaults avoid towing" group, RAT for short. That way the 4x4 owners will feel less victimised. I'm sure there are caravaner out there that could comment on such a thing, and if not, we will just have to make up a few statistics, to prove our point.

Sound familiar?
Actually Lol, I've got no beef with anyone who owns a 4X4, as i've owned several myself.

I just find it so narrow minded of some folk in the chelsea tractor circuit that they feel that you must have one to tow successfully. also as I've said, they are so quick to jump at anyone who dares to say otherwise.

I couldn't give a monky's what anyone say's about Renault and I'm sure there are finer tow cars out there. I chose to use Renault for pure financial and practical reasons of my own circumstances.

As a norm, I don't feel compelled to defend my choice, I just let the car do the talking by doing everything I ask of it with no expensive repair bills other than two services a year.

That's what attracts me to the French connection.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Well said PC.

As I currently have a front wheel drive car to tow my 20ft twin axle, I can concur with Clive that there are times when I do yearn for all wheel drive, but then a reality check on running costs over the year compared to a bit of skill and patience soon bring me back to earth.

I carry with me a pair of plastic dessert mats about 600mm long to put under the drive wheels to give initial grip on wet grass, and if that doesn't work, I get out my tow rope which then affords me access to the ring road on most sites.

In all the years I've had this larger than the average bear of a van I've not required a tow from a friendly 4X4(there are plenty of enthusiastical lads and lassies out there oly too willing to help), and also I've not had to re-consider my choice of site due to any limitation of the cars capability.

Having owned several chelsea tractors in the past (yep they never touched farm land)and put them to good use towing a 3500Kg Ifor Williams goods trailer, I can say that Diahatsu F70's do a good job of towing heavey loads but are not so good in the comfort department, but then they are tow tractors at heart.

All I can say is it realy is down to balancing the books on choice :- Practicallity at all times over inital cost, compared to daily running costs and repair bills.

The answer is more often than not a "compromise" in on direction or another.

steve.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I thought as much - you have got to hand it to the Moddies! - they do clean up the nonsense posts very well.

But it can leave subsequent posts/comments "hanging in the air".

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
No you don't; something like a Renault Espace will tow your van easily. HOWEVER, a 4x4 does provide a higher level of grip which, if towing on any slippery surafce - even RAIN soaked (esp uphill), the 4x4 wins hands down.

You pays your money etc.....

John

Mar 14, 2005
lutzschelisch.wix.com
The argument against 2-wheel drive is generally aimed at front wheel drive vehicles. The capabilities of a rear wheel drive, like a Merc E-Class or a BMW 5-Series shouldn't be underestimated.

For real understatement though, how about a Passat 4Motion or an Audi A6 Allroad Quattro?

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site

Sound familiar?
Steve, I too have nothing against 2 wheel drive (rear or front) or four wheel drive, I like them all and can argue each others case for them. What I don't like is the constant attack and defence that goes on in this forum, all it takes is a mild comment to set it off. However at the end of the day, you will always get someone that doesn't like your choice of tow car and highlights that fact. So I see no "End" to this one, the few that like to attack will always be answered by the few that feel they must defend. In my personal opinion, the off-roader/4x4 is the ultimate car for towing, for some very good reasons, but it's not "The Ultimate" car for exactly the same reasons.

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Agreed Lutz, the rear wheel drive cars do have some advantages over front wheel drive, but there are few of those produced these days as front wheel drive is prefered by the manufacturers.

With the advances of traction control together with tyre technology today, there is little need to worry if like me, you have front wheel drive only.

Lets not forget that rear wheel cars get very tail wag happy when on their own and booted out of a corner. Of coarse there's a modern day name for that "drifting" and off the road it is great fun.

Another sport/hobby that Disco's and Range's don't party in, cos they are rolly polly's, and of coarse Renaults can't either as they are front wheel drive only.

But of coarse the Laguna was a preffered touring car racer and successful too at the hands of Jason Plato.

See there are pro's and con's to all choices and you have to balance them out.

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
The only problem associated with "chelsea tractors" is narrow mindedness by people like yourself who would insist on thinking that any car that has drive to all 4 wheels is a chelsea tractor and is just a fashion accesory.

As more sensible people know this isnt the case. The smaller 4x4's (x-trail,crv, sorento etc) are smaller (width and length) then many large family saloons (especially as people go for estates to increas the kerbweight). They are also, often put to a good use off road for peoples work or recreation.

Granted, many folk in towns/cities buy them to ship their little ones to school and no more and that is pure stupidity, but driving any child less than a mile to school in ANY car is plain stupidity, its quicker to walk!!

Point is, not all 4x4's are chelsea tractors.

Steve
Well said Stephen

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts