Do I need this?

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
My wife, daughter and granddaughter are away in the Highlands and benefitting from weather that I’ve rarely seen up there. in between walking dogs, three walks to our daughters to tend her giant rabbits, I am trying to progress the final bits of the new kitchen namely painting skirting and doors in time to put the vacuum around for their return on Sunday. I have a general reputation for ignoring phones but as I’m on my own I now tend answer them. So as I was bent double and on my knees the house phone went. It was my wife telling me that her and granddaughter had taken a taxi to Ben Nevis, took the gondola and were walking along paths in the higher area. To rub salt into a very sore wound she said it was warm, sunny, midge free and a crystal clear sky, and that I would love it. Great just what I needed.

Reactions: JTQ
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife, daughter and granddaughter are away in the Highlands and benefitting from weather that I’ve rarely seen up there. in between walking dogs, three walks to our daughters to tend her giant rabbits, I am trying to progress the final bits of the new kitchen namely painting skirting and doors in time to put the vacuum around for their return on Sunday. I have a general reputation for ignoring phones but as I’m on my own I now tend answer them. So as I was bent double and on my knees the house phone went. It was my wife telling me that her and granddaughter had taken a taxi to Ben Nevis, took the gondola and were walking along paths in the higher area. To rub salt into a very sore wound she said it was warm, sunny, midge free and a crystal clear sky, and that I would love it. Great just what I needed.
Glad to see they are enjoying themselves, will return home relaxed and rested [just perfect for them to inspect any works completed during this time, an added bonus for you]. Hope you can enjoy the remainder of the time they are away and able to have some good times as well.

Reactions: otherclive
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I think your family is kidding you, "midge free"? Dont believe a word of it ;)
If accuracy of reporting is deemed essential then when high up on Ben Nevis they said barely any midges and no biters. The Scottish midge dislikes sunlight.

Last edited:

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
The Scottish midge dislikes sunlight.

Not true unfortunately. They wont fly in a moderate breeze or if its too hot or too cold but sunlight doesn't bother them. This morning it was very sunny and the air was thick with them. Breeze is now up and they've gone to ground.

Reactions: Dustydog
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Not true unfortunately. They wont fly in a moderate breeze or if its too hot or too cold but sunlight doesn't bother them. This morning it was very sunny and the air was thick with them. Breeze is now up and they've gone to ground.
Hi Sam have you got some warm days up in Scotland :)

Sam Vimes

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Yes, we've had a number of good sunny days here on Skye.

On Wednesday we had to drive to Edinburgh and the temperature got to 29degC going through Glen Coe and Rannoch Mor.

Unfortunately the good weather not only attracts midgies but swarms of tourists. A normal 6hr journey took us nearly 8 hours due to slow moving tourists - and not really motorhomes or caravanners.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Yes, we've had a number of good sunny days here on Skye.

On Wednesday we had to drive to Edinburgh and the temperature got to 29degC going through Glen Coe and Rannoch Mor.

Unfortunately the good weather not only attracts midgies but swarms of tourists. A normal 6hr journey took us nearly 8 hours due to slow moving tourists - and not really motorhomes or caravanners.
I sure you had a good day in Edinburgh which is a lovely city to visit :)

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
On arrival at our current site in Gloucester it was a boiling hot day. Sadly Friday was the total opposite. Always seems that way when we go camping. LOL!
However today is supposed to be bright and sunny and tomorrow even warmer.

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
On arrival at our current site in Gloucester it was a boiling hot day. Sadly Friday was the total opposite. Always seems that way when we go camping. LOL!
However today is supposed to be bright and sunny and tomorrow even warmer.
I hope the weather keeps improving and you have a nice time ..
it sunny and warm 21c so far here :)

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
A

A bit different from what you said this am BB🤪🤪
💦💦💦⭐⭐⭐16c
Maybe you need a new weatherman😆😆😆
First thing this morning we experienced the temperature I stated but glad to say the day progressed to a nice 21c. Unsure if you have been lucky to have this occur where you live or does it stay the same throughout the day with no changes? :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts