Do not know its on the back

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Hello all, the remark by many that they do not know that a caravan is on the back.Pehaps its me as i drive by the "seat of my pants", i know whether a stone is in the tyre and host of other things such as unusual noises that my wife cannot hear but to me it means something even if its the tarmac singing to me. As to the unit on the back, maybe on the motorway you might not be aware of the pull feeling, but bumpy road surfaces you get the efects .Welcome any comments.

Jul 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi Robert,

I tow an Eriba Triton with a Mercedes E-class 320 CDI - 235 bhp, 550 NM, and a match ratio of 47%; and I don't care what you drive or tow - you always know you've got a caravan behind you - unless you are totally switched off from the driving experience.

But if you forget, a quick look in the mirror reminds you - either that or a white van driver is really close.

Robert

May 12, 2006
Visit site
Hi Robert,

I know it's on the back, and I tow with a Diesel Land Cruiser. Mind you I can go fast if I wanted to, I reckon it would tow along on the motorway at 90 mph. I hasten to add I don't that but I could.

Val & Frank

Apr 13, 2005
Visit site
Robert, its just an expression that people use to describe the effortless way a particulare car tows, a bit like tows like a dream, ive never seen a dream tow but i know the writer is just saying its a very nice car to tow with i don't take it literal.

i have on many times stated that i don't know its on the back and many will know that all i am stating is the car tows my van without effort, i can accelerate just as quickly with the van as i can without it. this is not to say i can get from 0 to 60 in the same time that would be foolish, what i am saying is that under normal everyday driving conditions i would pull away from lights and get to thirty in say 5 seconds without the van on tow, if i had the van on tow the car will still get to thirty in about the same time as the wind resistance at this speed is low and my car has bags of reserve power and traction control to assist me so under these conditions i would hardly be aware the van was on the back.

Obviousley as speed increases then the pitching and tugging makes you constantely aware the van is on tow.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Rule of thumb: increase weight, decrease car performance, as in standing start to any given speed, and worst of all (this one hits you in the pocket!) Your towing vehicles thirst for fuel will increase. Perhaps its' time they started building caravans out of carbon fibre. :)

Allan & Gill.

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
a bit like the bloke who drove from burmingham to cornwall and forgot his caravan he dident no it was there. he must have left his mirrors behind as well

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Let put it this way, different car tow better or worse, The last tow car we had a 4x4 was good, but this one we got now is even better, yes you will feel the van on a bumpy road, but driving on the motor way is better, I feel your remark was unkind, Trevor

Feb 11, 2007
Visit site
Let put it this way, different car tow better or worse, The last tow car we had a 4x4 was good, but this one we got now is even better, yes you will feel the van on a bumpy road, but driving on the motor way is better, I feel your remark was unkind, Trevor
Hello Trevor, You have loss me regarding your comment that "i am unfair", your remarks are the same as mine ie motorways are better than bumpy roads when noticing the caravan on the back.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts