Do you really need it?

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Decided to sort out the pegs
Pegs, pegs and more pegs
Bag in the front locker, bag in the side locker bag in the rear locker and even a bag in the cupboard under the sink.
OVER 200 of them, metal ones, plastic ones, rock ones, wide ones, thin ones, straight ones and even bent ones!!!!

If you sat back and thought about it what do you carry that you dont really need???

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
lol...problem with that is you'll turn up at a site one day with the wrong type of pegs and be held to ransome by local/ish dealer for right type..... sods law although i admit i took mine out of the van today and surprised myself how much they weighed when i took them to into the garage. surprising how they are all kept in seperate bags too! i do exactly the same..rock/grass/steel

May 8, 2010
Visit site
We turf everything out at least once a year, found 6 mallets in the front locker, all different sizes, laid them out on the drive and took a photo.

Dec 14, 2006
Visit site
I don't think even we could amass six mallets between one annual turf out and the next, but perhaps we should have a photo competition for 'Who has lost the most weight'???? In the style of Slimming World - with before and after shots of what was there, and what's going back in - not just pegs - but the EIGHT plates that some of us carry
smiley-frown.gif
, the spare mugs just in case we make coffee for the whole site, the two different table cloths, the variety of washing lines, the old barbecue and the new one,the complete home tool box, with three different hammers, and so on, and so on.
There could be a prize for the most interesting collection of unneccessary stuff *but no cheating, and staging a photo including a stuffed boars head, an old diving helmet, and a still life by Constable........................!

May 8, 2010
Visit site
It was a used van that came with loads of stuff because they had given up caravanning and gone to the Dark Side (motorhomes) two mallets were ours and the others were inherited. I went out and bought an adapter to hook up from mains at my house, and a pack of rock pegs and a drill attatchment to wind the legs up, then later found all these things in the van.
This season I chucked out:- a plate rack that didnt fit anywhere, a toaster that trips the mains that I had been carrying around and a manky old BBQ.

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
The van stuff regularly gets reviewed but I have lost count of the number of food items that come out of the kitchen cupboards and travel in crates only to be returned unused. We had one tin of cassoulet bought in France travel back three times! It's still there in the kitchen cupboard waiting to visit Scotland. Luckily it all travels in the car so it gives good traction off of wet pitches!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I am informed that our tin is for 'emergencies', so perhaps it has now attained the status of a good luck charm! Good job they have a 'use buy' date that will probably outlast me.

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes we have one of those. very much traveled, but some years ago arrived on site , only food we had was a tin of cassoulet,but no tin opener, Now carry 2 of each.2 cassoulet and 2 tin openers, also most inportant the tin openers have a bottle opener on them.
We live and learn.

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
Oh no not the dreaded tin of Cassoulet?? I opened ours at home and it was awful,greasy and tasteless. How many torches is normal as we have an assortment of wind ups, rechargeables etc in large and small sizes.The only problem is Himself can never find one when needed.Strange because every time I look for anything else I find a torch of some description.Is there really a torch for every occassion?? Why do men carry enough tools to change an engine at the roadside BUT have roadside recovery in place in all its forms. It must be the same gene that causes us ladies to carry clothes for "just in case we go out-,out".As a rule we seem to have 2 of most things so its a good job we have a caravan else where would we put it all!!!!! Womens logic???
TC & spare!!!

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
A good point well made. I think my hanging on to tools (far more than likely to ever be used) is a hang over from the days when every trip was likely to lead to your car or motorbike requiring a strip down by the road side. I suppose my tools probably equate to the dreaded cassoulet. But if I am honest looking under the bonnet these days has made me redundant there isnt even a dipstick. So I plead guilty to having two assist contracts............just in case!!

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
Thursdays Child said:
Oh no not the dreaded tin of Cassoulet?? I opened ours at home and it was awful,greasy and tasteless.

Did'nt really know what this was so looked it up
smiley-embarassed.gif

220px-Cassouletcuit.jpg

IT LOOKS DISGUSTING........Throw them out, bin them....carry a tin of baked beans in there place
smiley-laughing.gif

By the way I'm down to forty pegs now.
Ps Love the torch one, brilliant.

May 12, 2011
Visit site
MagsAlan said:
We had one tin of cassoulet bought in France travel back three times!

Hey, we've got one of those too.
smiley-laughing.gif

And so do we, I wonder just how many tins are being shipped back and forth each year. Ours exceeds its sell by date this summer so I suppose we'll have to actually eat it sometime soon.

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
a bag of 10 assorted allen keys. Can't see anything in the van that requires even one allen key. Also seem to be accumulating towels.
mel

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
Two sets of screw drivers, four wooden and two plastic ramps in case we can't get level.
Two mallets and one hammer.
Three frying pans and one wok I found yesterday. Assorted caravan cleaners / polishes in case I get bored.
Seven paper back books that have never been read and probably never will.
Two wind breaks, never been used.
Four chairs in case the dogs want to sit down
smiley-laughing.gif

Oh and dozens of Woosie T shirts
smiley-cool.gif

Apr 7, 2008
Visit site
smiley-laughing.gif
Our's is full of ( just in case )
smiley-surprised.gif

Two of most things ( just in case ) we run out of gas we can use all of the electrical things, & if the Lecy goes off we can use all of the gas things ( just in case ) we have two tellys, ( just in case ) ....
But glad we have only one casette to empty........

May 8, 2010
Visit site
We carry exterior cleaners in all shapes and sizes, though I have no intention of cleaning the outside of my van when I am on holiday.

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Hi, we too have been taking our tin of cassoulet back home to France for holidays for several years now, and it's also been to Spain, Italy, and lots of other interesting places. Like our teenage son it never shows any sign of gratitude or pleasure, but you can't leave them at home, can you, can you?
Has anyone ever opened one of these tins, or may be even eaten the contents?
be lucky AGD

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
archiesgrandad, DO NOT open that tin!! Ours was "orrible".I will of course buy another tin when we return to France as it now seems to be a"must have" accessory.I will get a really big tin so as to be able to use it for adjusting the weight in the caravan.Have you got enough torches tho?
Thursdays Child

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Thursdays Child said:
. How many torches is normal as we have an assortment of wind ups, rechargeables etc in large and small sizes.The only problem is Himself can never find one when needed.Strange because every time I look for anything else I find a torch of some description.Is there really a torch for every occassion??

It must be a man thing. I have so many torches of various types I could give a torch shop a run for it's money.
smiley-laughing.gif

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
We have only just started caravanning, with just 3 trips under our belt - 9 days in total but already we have two table cloths, two tables, a George Foreman grill, a gas Cadac BBQ, a slow cooker, an electric kettle, a gas kettle. a 3 way camping fridge and a tall larder cupboard and 3 separate means of freshening the air (and all the spare batteries that operate them) and OH moans that I carry too many clothes. Well, he's a Chef and he can't seem to stop buying gadgets or cooking implements for the van. Latest moan this weekend was that I'd bought the wrong size ladle, it was too big so it slipped out the saucepan and sprayed the inside of van in chilli con carne.

That's why I don't do the cooking!

Oct 22, 2009
Visit site
soldlisa,
well done for being part of the "clutter-bug" club in such a short time!! Himself is now asking about the possibility of an extension on the Jeep (top box).The biggest hang up I have is when the caravan has to go in for service/repair most of this clutter ends up in MY dining room!!! Perhaps we need a special place to keep the stuff.Oh yes that would be the garage! No chance 2 motorbikes and extra fridgefreezer,washing machine and 2 jet washers.Just had a 6x8 shed erected and you guessed it full already!!!!! Hoarders???? HELP!!!!
Thursdays Child

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts