do you tow with a shogun

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
i have just got a shogun 2.3 auto 2005 and would like some feedback on them i tow a swift carisma590 twin axel 1600kg will the tow bar be a problem and i have heard that the gear box can let you down at 60.000 miles

Dec 23, 2006
Visit site
Benny,

I am on my second 3.2 not 2.3 Shogun auto. My present one is a 2004 LWB Elegance auto. I have towed Bailey Senators in the past. My new caravan is new a Swift Conqueror 655 over 1750 kgs. both my 3.2 Shoguns have been excellent towcars and completely reliable. I know of people with 3.2 Shoguns who have towed well over 100,000 miles without any problems with the auto boxes.

To stop the staberlizer bar fouling the spare wheel i have a 11/2 inch spacer bar fitted between the towbar and the alko towball.

Hope this helps. You have purchased a great tpwcar. Any questions just ask.

Hamer

Jun 23, 2005
Visit site
Hi

I am also on my second Shogun,my first was a manual and I now have a 3.2 lwb auto warrior. They are fantastic towcars. I presently tow a Swift Charisma 570 and have towed for thousands of miles all over France and neither one missed a beat. If yours hasn't had it done, consider getting the power upgrade done by your local dealer, its cost aroung

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
I to have the swift 590, I use to have the vr6 sharon and I went through two auto boxes before I decided I needed to give her away and opt for something better, I got myself the 3.2 lwb I was not to keen on getting a auto box again but the mitsi guys told me it was the dog's bollocks and as I had another mitsi car which had never caused me any trouble I took there advice. And so far she has not let me down, we do alot of caravaning in europe including taking it to the alps so we can go sking, I must say though there is no need to tow in 4wd as this just brings your mpg down.

craig

Jul 26, 2005
Visit site
Craig,

Sorry to maybe disagree with you but if you have the later 3.2 with electronic transmision control rather than the vacum super select then you risk damaging the transmision if you don't use 4WD for towing.

There should be a label advising you of this in the cabin and a similar warning in the hand book.

If you hit the search button you will find a lot of earlier posts covering this topic and if you are still not sure talk to the Mitsubishi Service dept. who will be able to give you guidance on the subject relevant to your particular model.

I would hate to see you wreck your car but apparently it is a real posibility with the later type transmission if you ignore the manufactures advice!

Oct 9, 2006
Visit site
Craig,

Sorry to maybe disagree with you but if you have the later 3.2 with electronic transmision control rather than the vacum super select then you risk damaging the transmision if you don't use 4WD for towing.

There should be a label advising you of this in the cabin and a similar warning in the hand book.

If you hit the search button you will find a lot of earlier posts covering this topic and if you are still not sure talk to the Mitsubishi Service dept. who will be able to give you guidance on the subject relevant to your particular model.

I would hate to see you wreck your car but apparently it is a real posibility with the later type transmission if you ignore the manufactures advice!
Are you on about the tiptronic gearbox.

Aug 7, 2006
Visit site
thanks for your comments you have put my mind at rest thanks i did try the search but it only goes back a short way thanks.......benny

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Craig, it is not just for auto boxes,the warning is there on my 3.2 manual also.I have raised this point with my dealer and he said exactly the same,4wd when towing.

TRENDING THREADS