do you use your Toilet and Shower?

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Hi there, we are now into our 2nd year of caravanning, and also upgraded our caravan to a nice 2 year old Swift, however like our old caravan it still only has the standard compact shower/Toilet all in one unit. we have never used the shower so far and only use the loo for night time use (NO.1's Only) However I am starting to wonder should we be starting to make better use of our facilities and use them more? so how many of you out there use them for showering and do you use the toilet to full function, (sorry for being so forward) The other reason I am asking is we are considering using CL's in the future and obviously we would need to use our own facilities more then. On the sunject of CL's what are they like, I will put a seperate post in other area. Many Thanks Andy

Dec 30, 2009
Visit site
Andrew, without going into too much detail we use the toilet and shower facilitys as much as you. We have been caravanning for over 10 years now and never found the need to use as the site facility where we have been has usually been to a high satandard.

If however you are going to use CLs then you may just have to use your facilitys to the full.

To be honest if the shower was an option I woud not have had one fitted in any of the 3 new vans we've had.

some people will disagree, but thats whats good about vanning everybodys an individual.

Kevin H

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
Hi

I personnally dont use the shower but the wife does and she says its nice its a full size cubical but she moans that she has to fill up the water afterwards thats all.

As for number 2's we use the site facillities but last year we did book onto a site with NO facillities at all in staffordshire and we would have used them then But fortunatly or unfortunatly which ever way look at it the site was flooded and they called us asking us not to turn up a few days before we were to arrive.

andy

Aug 28, 2005
Visit site
I allways use the facilities in the caravan ,i much prefer to be amongst my own bacteria than some other peoples ,and as going for water it does not worry me a bit i class it as a bit of exercise ,and some caravanners if you look at them certainly need it .

i often wonder who designs some of these toilet blocks ,most of them when you go in and do what ever you do in there ,i have been in there washing my hands when some dirty git has come out of one of the toilets and gone straight out without washing his hands ,now the only way out is for me to recontaminate my hands openinig the door ,so if there any architects on the forum please design tiolet blocks entrances with swing doors ,i now carry a paper tissue before i go in them

Oct 18, 2006
Visit site
i only use my own facilities, many years ago i would go to rowntrees in york and remember the tiles in the shower cubicles were freezing on the barefeet, but then a couple of years ago i went to haggerston castle and the shower block floor was covered in grass and muck what was my last visit to the showers, but even for the toilets i prefer my own facilities. I just turn on the gas and electric water heater 10 mins before using the shower and it's fine, it does the job for me.

Mar 7, 2006
Visit site
for us it depends on the quality of the showers on site.

If we go to a site we know that is immaculate and clean we will use the onsite showers. We always wash/brush teeth and use the loo in the van. We have a nice shower in the van and a big end bathroom, but we havent used the shower much.

We intend to use more CL's this year so will use it then.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We use our toilet and shower all the time. We only use CL's and often these don't have any facilities. I shower everyday, and we use the toilet for both functions. Our cubicle is a small combined one, with just enough space to get a decent shower etc. I have no problems with using it, after all that's what it is there for.

Nov 26, 2006
Visit site
Having come up from tents, we have always used the site facilities - not much option when you're under canvas.

When we bought our caravan it was already elderly, and the "bathroom" compartment had already been removed, so I was able to use the space to enlarge the bed and kitchen.

For night time, a portaloo sits in the awning annex, but is often not used.

Not yet ever stayed on a site where the facilities were unusable, and at both Club sites they have all been pretty good.

As for worrying about germs, well the only way to avoid possible contact is to stay at home, never eat out, never stay in a hotel or travel on public transport etc. etc. Life is too short.

Mar 13, 2007
Visit site
as anyone had a problem with water leakage when using the shower the compartment in ours does not look very water friendly only having plastic looking thin board on the sides and a thin seam of sealer around the toilet its been like this from new and we have never dared use it

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site
We always use our own onboard facilites irrespective of the site cleanliness.

I personally like my own toilet seat, and I know that others have used it by invitation only!!:O)

Mar 9, 2007
Visit site
I would mostly use the site toilets and showers, providing they are nice and clean. However I would always use the site toilets for "number two's". The thought of doing that in my van and having to empty it later makes me feel ill!

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
We have always used our own facilities. In fact there have been many sites we have been on where we have not even looked at the toilet blocks. Apart from having to fill the water containers more, which is good exercise anyway, the toilet & shower in our van is as good as at home.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
I haven't showered for over three years. Using the site facilities.

;o)

We have been lucky enough to have owned caravans (our last two) with showers bigger than the one we have at home. True, it means you have to empty the Wastemaster more often, but your own private shower on site is a great luxury. As for the toilet, we have a golden rule. No1's ok, but if No2's are done, that person empties it. In all they years we have been caravaning, No2's have only been done once.

Feb 20, 2006
Visit site
if you have a seperate shower cubical i see no problem but if like my unit the toilet/shower are together,its just not big enough, and no i am not a fatty!!!

Aug 4, 2004
Visit site
Please do not take this the wrong way, but why do people ask this type of question. It is as if they are scared they will do something wrong and embarass themselves. So what, we have all done something we have regretted. Are they concerned that they are using the toilet for its pupose but other people just keep it as an ornamet? This is like buying a car and then not driving it because you don't want to get the wheels dirty.

We have a toilet, shower, wash basin, kitchen sink and we use them for the purpose for which they were built. We paid our money and we want our money's worth. Besides if there is an issue I rather it come to light while the caravan is under guarantee and not afterwards.

Nov 9, 2006
Visit site
hi andrew

we have a 2006van all mod cons shower,wash basin toilet,we use mainly sites with all facilities but my wife always showers in the van, and the toilet is used for both number 1s and number 2s mainly by visiting relatives who have gone back home by the time it needs emptying, oh and they hold the toilet flush down longer than required,like at home thereby filling the toilet twice as quickly.Myself i dont use the shower (personal choice)as for the toilet if i disslocate my left leg and then put out my right shoulderblade (to get to the toilet paper)i wil only use it as a last resort

jim

Feb 5, 2006
Visit site
Hi, we also have a combined toilet and shower compartment.

We use the toilet to the full. I am quite willing to empty it if my husband is not around. Having picked up after dogs and changed nappies, emptying the toilet cassette it is no worse.

I was always wary of using the shower. I looked at the way the shower curtain wrapped round and figured that so much would get wet it would be disasterous to use it. However, I decided that having owned the van for 2 years perhaps I should give it a go. It was functional,not ideal but handy if needed and, although things did get wet, a couple of hours with the window open and we wouldn't have known the shower had been used.

It is good to know we have a shower that is usable if we decide to go to a site with no facilities.

Sep 13, 2006
Visit site
"do you use your Toilet and Shower?"

Yes, but never at the same time

Seriously we use it for all functions.

We have one of the smallish combined rooms, I have not found it restrictive except when suffering from a bad back (wiping).

Plenty of space in the shower and particularly good for small kids as you can sit on the toilet while washing them.

I prefer to take the mat out and use a squeegy to dry the floor afterwards as the mat stays wet otherwise for overnight visits.

Mar 1, 2007
Visit site
Yes is the answer. Or we will as the need arises.

Does the Thetford cassette toilet really break everything down into liquid, or is it still a bucket and chuck it exercise?

Could you (in theory) empty the cassette down a domestic toilet pan with no problem?

May 13, 2006
Visit site
Hi,

Sligachan camping site on Skye did not have a chemical toilet emptying point and we were told just to empty the cassette down one of the toilets.

Rob S.

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Following recent press reports could caravanners and sites not set an example and now say Lavatory rather than use the T or L words.

We must maintain some standards ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-) ;-)

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Hello Andrew,

You have received a bag of mixed replies, and the answer I think you can glean from it is 'use them if you want to'

I would point out though, the majority of caravan showers are not as powerful as home models; so don't expect to be massaged by the water pressure. The matter of transporting fresh and wastewater has been mentioned, but the other limiting factor is that the water heaters in most caravans are limited in size and the reheating time, so you wont get a very long shower either.

As a rough guestimate, caravan showers deliver a maximum flow of about 2 to 3 litres a minute. Most caravan water heaters have a capacity of about 9 Litres, and the water is at about 60 to 70 degrees C, so most people shower at around 37 to 40 degrees so the 9 Litres @70 corresponds to about 12 to 15L at normal shower temps. That gives about a 4 to 6 minute shower. Careful use of water can of course extend the time a little, or allow two quick showers.

At least the on board facilities do offer you an alternative to using the site facilities - - its your choice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts