Dockray Meadow

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Hello Ken I have stayed at Dockray several times, it`s a very tidy site, but doesn`t have a toilet block, it does have elec and tv hook up and plenty of emptying/water points, all the pitches are level hard standing, roads around the site are tarmac,the resident Red Sqirrels are ammusing,(don`t forget the P/nuts) the wardens are great people.within the West Lakes you have some great easy walks, IE around Ennerdale water aprox 7miles obviuosly flat and Buttermeer aprox 3-4 mls, nearer the site theres a nice walk around Cogra moss (a disused resevior)for the more adventuress theres Blake Fell, there are several good pubs serving good food, the Wild Duck at Branthwaite is one we use more than most.

I could go on but don`t want to bore you, needless to say the whole area is beautiful, Dockray is a great little site, Go and see for yourself you wont regret it.

let me know what you think, good luck Tony A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony

thanks for the recommendation, we got back last night after a week on this site.

Yes, wardens really good and pleasant. We pitched on the higher ground and then had strong gale force winds for 48 hours. This tested our Sunncamp Scenic Plus which managed to survive, although it did 'blow in' 3 times, but with the fibre-glass poles, just pushed out again. We headed for shelter and moved close to the site office and then had a month's rainfall in 36 hours. We were fine, but there was flooding in the local pub (The Lamplugh Tip).

At this stage, I might have said I would never return to The Lakes! Next morning, wind and rain stopped so we got in a few walks - around Loweswater then Ennerdale and our dog walk was out to Cogra Moss.

We will definitely go back.

PS - the red squirrels were fun to watch and tame enough to video them quite close up.

Regards

Ken

May 12, 2005
Visit site
Tony

thanks for the recommendation, we got back last night after a week on this site.

Yes, wardens really good and pleasant. We pitched on the higher ground and then had strong gale force winds for 48 hours. This tested our Sunncamp Scenic Plus which managed to survive, although it did 'blow in' 3 times, but with the fibre-glass poles, just pushed out again. We headed for shelter and moved close to the site office and then had a month's rainfall in 36 hours. We were fine, but there was flooding in the local pub (The Lamplugh Tip).

At this stage, I might have said I would never return to The Lakes! Next morning, wind and rain stopped so we got in a few walks - around Loweswater then Ennerdale and our dog walk was out to Cogra Moss.

PS - the red squirrels were fun to watch and tame enough to video them quite close up.

Regards

Ken
Ken, sorry about the weather, but without the rain the lake district, would become the big hole district.You walked around loweswater, did you enjoy the veiw from the Balcony? (thats the traverse that looks down over the water)real chocolate box country. I have always considered myself very fortunate as I live in Millom which is only an hours drive with the van from Dockray, so now I`m retired I can go when I want.

How was the food in the Tip? it has recently changed hands, and I have been hoping to speak to some one who has been, any way glad you enjoyed GODS COUNTRY come again.

see you TONY A.

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Tony

Regards

Ken
The Lake District is a beautiful location in any weather but if you wiah to enjoy the Lakes you should be aware of the local weather forecast " if you can't see the fell tops it is raining -if you can see them it is going to rain" Accept this simple philosophy and your visits will be a real pleasure. I know, I live there and a la'al bit nearer than Millom (LOL)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts