Does a 200v short circuit to ground have the potential to damage electronics?

Jun 23, 2021
Visit site
We have just returned from a VERY wet weekend. The site we were on flooded. We had electric hook up. However Sunday afternoon, first my wife and then my Labrador and me got shocks off of the caravan. Not static shocks, full blown muscle clenching shocks. I unplugged my cable as I thought water may have got into it .That night at about 11 the electric post we were plugged into caught fire. The site manager could not locate a CO2 or dry powder cylinder so we used our own but with the power still on it stayed alight. Finally the power got switched off and we extinguished the fire. Since then one of my motor mover motors has failed, my water pump stopped and smelt of burning, and got roasting hot and my Truamatic hot water won’t fire on gas. Is this just coincidence or has this been caused by passing 200v through the chassis to ground (we measured it by voltmeter at my steps on the wet grass to door frame). Should health and safety be informed and if the above is the effect of the site short what can I do about it, obviously the site hasn’t got a robust, safe, electrical system, RCD’s etc let alone suitable fire fighting equipment.

Attachments

• 38A0BD27-DF14-4354-9671-47724DD4AC2A.jpeg
    38A0BD27-DF14-4354-9671-47724DD4AC2A.jpeg
    533.2 KB · Views: 18
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
IMHO the bollard should have tripped and also the box in the caravan should have tripped. IMHO a serious H&S scenario and a child could have been killed or for that matter an adult with weak heart.

Ern

May 23, 2021
Visit site
Flippin eck! The site is supposed to have their electrical installation regularly checked and certified. Their public liability insurance could be jeopardised if it has not done. I am not an electrician, but it sounds like your caravan may have been damaged, so you need to make your situation clear to them promptly.

Reactions: Buckman
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
We have just returned from a VERY wet weekend. The site we were on flooded. We had electric hook up. However Sunday afternoon, first my wife and then my Labrador and me got shocks off of the caravan. Not static shocks, full blown muscle clenching shocks. I unplugged my cable as I thought water may have got into it .That night at about 11 the electric post we were plugged into caught fire. The site manager could not locate a CO2 or dry powder cylinder so we used our own but with the power still on it stayed alight. Finally the power got switched off and we extinguished the fire. Since then one of my motor mover motors has failed, my water pump stopped and smelt of burning, and got roasting hot and my Truamatic hot water won’t fire on gas. Is this just coincidence or has this been caused by passing 200v through the chassis to ground (we measured it by voltmeter at my steps on the wet grass to door frame). Should health and safety be informed and if the above is the effect of the site short what can I do about it, obviously the site hasn’t got a robust, safe, electrical system, RCD’s etc let alone suitable fire fighting equipment.
Not a good experience. What do the site owners say about it? You might be needing to notify your caravan insurance as it’s likely you may have to claim if damage has been done. But your first port of call is the site owner and their insurance. Keep a record of discussions and put your concerns formally to them. But we’re you caravan issues due to the bollard fire or water ingress from the flood. The latter aren’t the sites responsibility unless they were negligent.

Damian

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
WOW !!! what a nasty situation to have been in.
I assume from your posting that the bollard caught fire after you had removed your hookup cable?

If that is the case then that is a separate issue for the site to be concerned about.

As for your van , it will need a very thorough , and I mean inch by inch, inspection of the whole van and its electrics, which I suggest is a makers requirement, as there should never be that kind of fault.

It is possible that the PCB's in various items may have been damaged, and the mover whilst a direct connection to the battery, the main substance of the mover is attached to the caravan chassis and as such could have been "live" at some point which could very well have damaged the motors.

H&S should be informed so that they can establish what has happened and advise the best resolution, however I would certainly inform my Insurance and expect them to authorise whatever needs to be done, and let them sort out who is at fault between themselves and the site .

May 24, 2014
Visit site
I wont comment on this as more knowledgable people are already advising you.

What I will say is try to keep all your contact and discussion to the written word, keep a paper trail to use if necessary.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts