Does Bailey Alu-Tech have water ingress problems?

smd

Mar 21, 2022
Visit site
I've been hearing that the Bailey Alu-Tech caravans have a tendency to let water seep through. Is this true? I would have thought that since they use fewer panels, they would be much better at preventing water ingress. Does this also mean that the Alu-Tech caravans also get a lot of damp? I can imagine damp becoming quite a big issue if there is an increase in moisture in the caravan?

Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
I’m a sceptic. All this Alu tec , super bonds etc doesn‘t do away with the use of sealant. The salvation in some cases is that the super structure of timber has been replaced by composites. They are born to leak but maybe not cause such detrimental damage.

Reactions: ProfJohnL
Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I've been hearing that the Bailey Alu-Tech caravans have a tendency to let water seep through. Is this true? I would have thought that since they use fewer panels, they would be much better at preventing water ingress. Does this also mean that the Alu-Tech caravans also get a lot of damp? I can imagine damp becoming quite a big issue if there is an increase in moisture in the caravan?
Not so sure that they use fewer panels, but there have been posts detailing that some have had condensation problems in corners leading to deteriorating floor material, which is wooden and subject to rot. But the alu tech has been in service now since circa 2010 and ive not been struck by what I would call a high number of posts regarding damp caused by alutech. In the main it’s been the floor around corners and the normal caravan stuff of seal leaks. I don’t know when the corner damp first manifested itself but I would be surprised if Bailey hadn’t addressed it by now.

Last edited:

Mel

Mar 17, 2007
Visit site
We had a 2019 Bailey Alu tech van. Leaked like a sieve through the roof strap. A known fault in Baileys that was alleged to have been sorted prior to the manufacture of our year’s model. I beg to differ. Took months and months to get the part because of successive lockdowns. Fortunately the owner of the site where we had a seasonal pitch put it under cover in a barn, otherwise it would have been an indoor swimming pool. Got it eventually fixed, and then a few months later, woke up to water dripping on my face. The roof light above the bed leaking +++
Sold it back to the dealer for what we had paid for it.
As others have said there are points where one bit has to join to another bit, and these are the weak points. However this does not necessarily mean that they are worse than other vans.
mel

May 7, 2012
Visit site
I do not think there is any evidence to show Bailey are any better or worse than the rest. The advantage of the system is that the frame is not wood so will not rot if you get a leak although the floor is still vulnerable. Only Eldiss of the UK makers use a wooden frame though so the others are the same as Bailey but Swift use a composite floor which possibly means they have an advantage.

Reactions: JezzerB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts