Dog attack

Page 5 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Aug 28, 2007
Visit site
Hi William

Thanks for your post.

I'm not a Rottie owner, I've never had one and would never get one. The reson being they are just too large, and that's the only reason. My brother has one though.

I do like Afghan's and have often thought about getting one of those as I find their willfullness endearing and would be a great challenge at times, but they too are rather too tall for my circumstances and I couldn't cope with all that fur. LOL!

My breed is the Stafford. To answer your question, since being a small child, I always wanted a SBT but my parents wouldn't allow me to have one. We had a spaniel but that used to bite my brother and I on occasion. In those days, we knew little of canine psychology and kind training methods. We muddled on and had the dog for 16 years.

I like the look of them per se (SBT). I like their conformation, their agility, their faithfullness, their reliable temperament, their nice short coat and their height (14-16 ins to the withers). My own dogs are very sociable, love having visitors to the house. They are (well mine are) quite robust. I can walk one of mine on a lunge line just by my fingertip (meaning it doesn't pull). Like a lot of dogs, they are very very easy to train (I only do reward based training) and thrive on praise and attention from people.

I hope that's given you a bit more insight.

Kind regards

Lisa
without sparking further debate, I would just like to say Lisa, having followed this thread, how accurate and informative your comments and observations relating to dogs are.

Carl.

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
sorry john but you have really annoyed me, you say the wardens kicked off the dog and owners well if it had been my site you would have gone too its you kid your responsible for him, stop bleaming other people and take responsililty yourself

not being personal but if the dog had been loose and gone to attack your son then i would have agreed with you

i have three kids one happens to be a dog

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Hi having had dogs most of my life, though i would trust them within my famiy, when out, my dog, a yorkie, can be snappy with others. I think that people should remember that all dogs can bite, they have teeth. All dogs are pack animals, and so will protect their pack(family), and when on site, I think that dogs should be supervised, and kept if tied up on a short lead. I have a daughter who is 6, and has been taught from an early age not to go near strange dogs, but she needs reminding regurally. In this situation, I find the womans attitude disturbing, and she should have explained that though her dog may have been at fault, the child was too, and not used foul language.

I hope that he is not now scared of dogs, and is now better

ta Julia

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
you can all shoot me if you want but i have a staffie who is tied up at the back of my pitch usually behind a windbreak and maybe a shelter. this time we had a hedge behind and at the side so she didnt need the windbreak.

maybe the dog was just protecting his owners or where he was. i have a very small 7 year old and i wouldnt let him out on his own im sorry but thats just my opinion. i also wouldnt let him stroke a dog unless i asked the owner if it was safe to do so either.

its okay for people to say the owner should keep there eye on the dog but its parents responbility to supervise there kids im afraid. i also supervise my son at the park aswell.

it does sound like he was just pushed over and maybe pawed. im sure if that dog wanted to he could have done some real harm.

i hope you son is feeling better.

jo

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Well, seeing as other people have posted, I'd just like to say thank you Carl for your kind words.

We'll never stop children approaching dogs which arn't theirs.

Lisa xxxx

G

Just as an aside comment on the topic. My wife and I were quietly sitting in our local park today enjoying the sunshine. Along comes a person with a large dog, not on a lead. Ok, it was ambling along and not showing a lot of enthusiasm. However, said dog decides to come up to both of us, sniff us both closely and then lick my trousers and my wife's skirt. All we got from the owner was a 'It's ok she is friendly'. I am sure the dog was, but it was a large rottweiler type and you just never know. Also, are we supposed to allow ourselves to be licked at will? If I was to approach closely and lick the owner's kids or wife for example, would he be as unconcerned?

Small points maybe but surely I am just as entitled to my space as the dog? No disrespect to any sensible owner but public parks are there for all to enjoy, not just the ones who think it is a dog toilet and exercise area.

Feb 15, 2006
Visit site
scotch lad i agree with you. ive just been away to cornwall and on perranporth beach the was about 20 dogs all off leads running around going into the paddling pools some didnt have no recall either.

when i went to harlyn sands beach the was dog poo on the beach.

LMH

Mar 14, 2005
Visit site
Scoth Lad, that's a very good point. No, you should not be subjected to a dog (whether large medium or small) coming up to you and making contact.

It's NOT on and I would have politely but firmly told the owners that too. In fact, I would have got it by the collar and marched it back to said onwer.

Lisa

May 9, 2005
Visit site
I am so sorry to hear of this happening to a little five year old child on a camp site. But, the child had no right to go into anyones awning, these days there are too many incidents

involving children on campsites getting into mischief, hurting themselves, vandalizm, etc. Dogs, on the other hand, "there are laws, rules, outlines" etc. why aint there rules incurred for unruly kids,. I have three children, which I might add, "are very well behaved at all times while on a campsite" or anywhere, and also own a wrinkle squashed faced Dogue de bordeaux, which I might add, is the most lovable, sloppiest, 13 stone, thing on four legs, who adores my kids, and everyone else around him. But, as much as I trust him, love him, I would'nt leave him alone outside unsupervised. To persecute the breed of the rottweiler is very wrong and outrageous, All dogs are capable of attack, no matter what the breed, it is narrow minded people that give certain breeds bad reputations. I owned a rottie, and as far as Im concerned, it's the way you bring the dog up, just like children, leave them run wild, and they run riot...

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I am so sorry to hear of this happening to a little five year old child on a camp site. But, the child had no right to go into anyones awning, these days there are too many incidents

involving children on campsites getting into mischief, hurting themselves, vandalizm, etc. Dogs, on the other hand, "there are laws, rules, outlines" etc. why aint there rules incurred for unruly kids,. I have three children, which I might add, "are very well behaved at all times while on a campsite" or anywhere, and also own a wrinkle squashed faced Dogue de bordeaux, which I might add, is the most lovable, sloppiest, 13 stone, thing on four legs, who adores my kids, and everyone else around him. But, as much as I trust him, love him, I would'nt leave him alone outside unsupervised. To persecute the breed of the rottweiler is very wrong and outrageous, All dogs are capable of attack, no matter what the breed, it is narrow minded people that give certain breeds bad reputations. I owned a rottie, and as far as Im concerned, it's the way you bring the dog up, just like children, leave them run wild, and they run riot...
hi julie

i think if you read it the dog was tied up outside and not in the awning

Raymond

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
Scotch Lad and Jo-Anne,

That is all very well, but what life would it be for a dog if they could only ever be exercise on a lead? I honestly think that people nowadays have just gone far far to far down the road of wanting to control and regulate every little aspect of their environment. If a blanket ban was introduced preventing dogs from being allowed of the lead in all parks and beeches then I would no longer be able to keep a dog, because I would never agree to keep and animal permanently chained. That is why I would never own a dog who would be a (real) threat to others.

William i think you're missing the point.

No dog should be off lead around other people and other dogs if their recall isn't 110%. My dogs quite often go to the park and field etc and are kept on the lead and are very happy with their walk. They do get let off sometimes but only when i have the whole place to myself. This isn't because they'll do anything it is because my spanials recall isn't great and i will not have either of my dogs running up to others or their owners and also my Rottweilers legs are bad so she doesn't get offlead exersise everyday.

People who let their dogs roam free to walk up to mine and get in their face drive me absolutly mad. My dogs will ignore them but if a dog jumped on them then i'm afraid they probably wouldn't.

I have to agree very much with Scotch-Lad how would people like it if a stranger got in their face i know i wouldn't be impressed. I wouldn't be happy with a strange dog coming up to me and licking me either.

G

I try to abide by the 'live and let live' code but with no disrespect to Lisa, I would be very wary of marching up to any owner as the response may not be that pleasant.

It is possibly a pity that our Local Authorities do not emulate our Camp sites for their public parks, where designated dog walks are available. I am saddened to see the childrens play area, which is usually quite small, fenced in, to keep dogs out. It seems to my mind that it should be the other way around that the kids should have free rein in the park, and the dogs have a fenced area. Of course there are certain local yobs who need a bl...y big fence around them, but never mind. It would also do away with the necessity to have 'Poo bins' and I have a lot of sympathy for the poor sods who have to empty them, or retrieve the 'little bundles' hanging from tree branches.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts