Dog days

Page 2 - Passionate about caravans & motorhome? Join our community to share that passion with a global audience!
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
We have a 15 year old Shih-Tzu, Oscar.
His eye sight is almost nil.
Hearing is very poor.
He's had both his cruciate ligaments done over the years.
Had 2 cancerous lumps removed.
Apart from all this.....he's fine..lol(and our "little baby).

He's now really struggling on his back legs especially if he's been led down for a while and is affecting his balance.

We also use the Metacam occasionally but the vet told us that with this type of medication,regular blood test need to be carried out.(I think he mentioned liver/kidneys).
We respectfully told him that at 15 years old,as long as the Metacam helps him,we would not be willing to undergo blood tests.
I think our vet took on board our wishes and has happily prescribed his medication since then.
Our "little boy" 🥰

View attachment 896
He looks like a cutie as well

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Maybe this thread should be dedicated to our best friends who will always love us no matter what and always greet us with a smile when we see them!

Please continue to post pictures of your best friend or friends as I am sure that we will all enjoy them.

Also any funny stories while in their company as we all need a pickup. LOL! :D

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Our little one was our daughters and at 4 months old I was asked to “foster“ her until she calmed down a bit. She’s still with us. The larger one I spotted on the internet one Saturday evening whilst looking fir a Border Collie. She was free to a good home. The next day we were in Coventry collecting her. Shortly after that we were going to the Game Fair at Blenheim but the traffic was horrendous on the A420/34 junctions. So we decided to go to Lechlade for a by the river Thames. We let them both off and quick as a flash they were in the river and onto the opposite bank hunting birds. A sim air thing happened in Scotland where one headed out into the center of Loch Ewe a large sea loch. We thought that we would be only bringing one dog home. They are still an absolute nightmare where water is concerned. But great companions albeit mud magnets.
74FAC187-C20D-458F-8BF9-00D1B89DAF2F.jpeg97F8C04A-7D05-4789-8977-577D5456448C.jpeg

Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Although we have Yorkies they will turn up their noses if the food has veggies or rice mixed in. Also they will not eat fatty food most of the time i.e strip of fat off bacon, chops or steak. Wish I could watch my figure like them. LOL!

Jul 30, 2007
Visit site
I would like to share a story with you dog lovers if thats ok.
My wife's sister had a Spaniel called Spirit(it actually belonged to her ex husband) and he didn't want it.
Every day my wife used to walk Oscar (the Shih-Tzu)past her house and always found that Spirit was tied up in a pen and usually had no water to drink.
He used to sleep under the wooden shed in all weathers and my wife was furious to see him treated this way.
Without even asking me,she knocked on her sisters door one day and told her that she was being cruel and that she wanted to bring him home....permanently.
To her astonishment,her sister agreed straight away and we went over to collect him that evening.
For the first few moths,Spirit didn't know how to "play" and didn't have a clue what to do with a ball.
We persevered and over the next 7 years he grew into becoming the most loving,adorable friend and loved going for walks,holidaying in the caravan.
He was never naughty,but loved the water so much,we had to buy him a kiddies paddling pool for the garden.
(I don't know how to post a link,but if you go on You Tube,I have a short video of him in his paddling pool.Its titled...."Spirit...the water baby...lol").
During those 7 years,I loved him like my own 2 sons.
Unfortunately, one morning we came downstairs to find him (according to the vet)....having a stroke.
He had messed in the living room(never...ever did that before) his eyes were "rolling" and he was shaking uncontrollably.
We rushed him to the vet and after a thorough examination and discussion with the vet.....he was euthanised .
Our world fell apart...
Oscar knew something was wrong and kept going out to the garden to look for Spirit......he wasn't there.
A week later my wife and I went to a garden centre.
After about 30 minutes,my wife was walking towards me holding a small potted rose bush.
She had tears streaming down her face,handed me the rose and told me to read the label.
It was called "Spirit in the sky"

Well.....I started crying as well and needless to say,that rose is producing beautiful roses every year.
Its been 2 1/2 years now since we lost him and still love him with all our hearts.
Heres a picture of him aged about 8.
As you can see....he was a bit of a character.
20170902_151233.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I would like to share a story with you dog lovers if thats ok.
My wife's sister had a Spaniel called Spirit(it actually belonged to her ex husband) and he didn't want it.
Every day my wife used to walk Oscar (the Shih-Tzu)past her house and always found that Spirit was tied up in a pen and usually had no water to drink.
He used to sleep under the wooden shed in all weathers and my wife was furious to see him treated this way.
Without even asking me,she knocked on her sisters door one day and told her that she was being cruel and that she wanted to bring him home....permanently.
To her astonishment,her sister agreed straight away and we went over to collect him that evening.
For the first few moths,Spirit didn't know how to "play" and didn't have a clue what to do with a ball.
We persevered and over the next 7 years he grew into becoming the most loving,adorable friend and loved going for walks,holidaying in the caravan.
He was never naughty,but loved the water so much,we had to buy him a kiddies paddling pool for the garden.
(I don't know how to post a link,but if you go on You Tube,I have a short video of him in his paddling pool.Its titled...."Spirit...the water baby...lol").
During those 7 years,I loved him like my own 2 sons.
Unfortunately, one morning we came downstairs to find him (according to the vet)....having a stroke.
He had messed in the living room(never...ever did that before) his eyes were "rolling" and he was shaking uncontrollably.
We rushed him to the vet and after a thorough examination and discussion with the vet.....he was euthanised .
Our world fell apart...
Oscar knew something was wrong and kept going out to the garden to look for Spirit......he wasn't there.
A week later my wife and I went to a garden centre.
After about 30 minutes,my wife was walking towards me holding a small potted rose bush.
She had tears streaming down her face,handed me the rose and told me to read the label.
It was called "Spirit in the sky"

Well.....I started crying as well and needless to say,that rose is producing beautiful roses every year.
Its been 2 1/2 years now since we lost him and still love him with all our hearts.
Heres a picture of him aged about 8.
As you can see....he was a bit of a character.
View attachment 922
Hi GeorgeandAde A lovely story of a dog called Spirit that was truly loved from begining to end and he had caring dog owners .

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Sam was a smashing dog, but when we got him he was with two siblings and found that he was pining for company. We then got a kitten called Toby which we introduced slowly to each other using a small piece of carpet with each other smell on and had the cat in a carrier so their was no pressure on either. They were good company for each other and Sam became a surrogate 'mum' to his mate, toilet training him and when we took him for walks along came his mate Toby, a special partnership for most of their lives.

Attachments

• DSC00300.JPG
    DSC00300.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • download (20).jpg
    download (20).jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 17, 2018
Visit site
Mans best friend, Bella is 4 years old now, loves people, but is wary of other dogs running at her.
Once she gets to know other dogs, she is fine, she goes everywhere with us, & is a valued family member.
My Grandson who is 5, walked her on her lead through kingsgate park Bristol, & she knew not to pull.

Attachments

• GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    GetAttachmentThumbnail.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Some great pics and stories, keep them coming please.
We've just got back from a week awain in a lodge in Llanbedr, beach walking everyday even in the horrid wet weather, the girls loved every second of it.

Attachments

• IMG-20201115-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20201115-WA0003.jpeg
    519.3 KB · Views: 3
Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Some great pics and stories, keep them coming please.
We've just got back from a week awain in a lodge in Llanbedr, beach walking everyday even in the horrid wet weather, the girls loved every second of it.
Hi Kev i see the dogs had a great time on the beach hope your enjoyment was equal

Reactions: Kevin M
Jun 20, 2005
Visit site
That’s a lovely story George and Ade.
It’s been a bad year for dogs and cats on here. A lot of us have lost our babies but from I read and have seen at Woosiefests and sites all are absolutely loved and cared for by us owners. Well done all the loyal faithful dog and cat owners.
losing your pets is heartbreaking😢😢

Reactions: GeorgeandAde
Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
Mans best friend, Bella is 4 years old now, loves people, but is wary of other dogs running at her.
Once she gets to know other dogs, she is fine, she goes everywhere with us, & is a valued family member.
My Grandson who is 5, walked her on her lead through kingsgate park Bristol, & she knew not to pull.
Yes Bella, is lovely, sadly we lost Rex last Week.
DSC_0119~2.JPG

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017
Visit site
Together our Yorkies do not get on with other dogs and will bark at other dogs, but separately there is no issue and the one will be as good as gold. No issue with people including children and they loved to be petted. Think they now have a bit of a pack mentality? :D

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts